DaivdBaekr

Contributor
You love to see it

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/ebay-vigilantes-selling-rtx-3060-ti-pics

There’s also the reality that scamming scalpers still makes this photo listing venture potentially profitable for even the most well-intentioned vigilantes. While the photo listing sellers we spoke to told us that they’re returning money to buyers they’re reasonably convinced are “real people,” they also said they wouldn’t return money to buyers they think are scalpers.

“For the scalpers...fuck em,” Connomoodle0 told us.

“I have no problem scamming scalpers,” Bates told us. “I have 0 problems taking money from unethical people.”

khzL856.png

Reactions: Defibyoulater

Trillium

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
You love to see it

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/ebay-vigilantes-selling-rtx-3060-ti-pics

There’s also the reality that scamming scalpers still makes this photo listing venture potentially profitable for even the most well-intentioned vigilantes. While the photo listing sellers we spoke to told us that they’re returning money to buyers they’re reasonably convinced are “real people,” they also said they wouldn’t return money to buyers they think are scalpers.

“For the scalpers...fuck em,” Connomoodle0 told us.

“I have no problem scamming scalpers,” Bates told us. “I have 0 problems taking money from unethical people.”

vpbmbohgolqn.png
I remember seeing this on eBay with a friend, funny as hell, fuck all bots and scalpers, scum suckers

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Even worse with "limited" things becoming more and more commonplace. It leaves scalpers free to manipulate the market to their choosing with various other shit.
I remember one dude bought a whole store's worth of PS5's and was bragging about it.

DaivdBaekr

Contributor
Even worse with "limited" things becoming more and more commonplace. It leaves scalpers free to manipulate the market to their choosing with various other shit.
I remember one dude bought a whole store's worth of PS5's and was bragging about it.
mostly enabled by brick and mortars closing down

Can they potentially get sued over that?
idk maybe. i don't see why they would. and even if you could i don't think you'd like to invite that negative attention on yourself as a scalper. better to take the L and move on

Last edited:

Fellhammer Slayer

Truly Feared Pyro
Can they potentially get sued over that?

well they aren't technically doing anything wrong, they are advertising it as a graphics card picture, and that's what they're buying, but ebay themselves do not allow misleading listings like that, whether they do anything i don't know

mostly enabled by brick and mortars closing down

i agree, it was a bit tricky buying up the whole shop but when it comes to online shopping it's just numbers, if you have the money you can order the quantities

Last edited:

Zeo

TF2 Admin
Contributor
can't they just do a chargeback through paypal?
Isn't it up to paypal to decide whether or not they accept the chargeback? Also, that's assuming they used paypal and not another source of payment.

sunstep

Truly Feared Pyro
Contributor
Actually you shouldn't get in trouble for this, because you clearly tell people that it's just a picture. It's only a very expansive picture. As long you actually send that picture the deal has been made. So at the end the buyer is responsible.
But if you list it as a real gpu and send a picture then you should get in trouble, because then the wrong product was sent.

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
Actually you shouldn't get in trouble for this, because you clearly tell people that it's just a picture. It's only a very expansive picture. As long you actually send that picture the deal has been made. So at the end the buyer is responsible.
eBay claims that is still misrepresentation:
“We don’t allow for sellers to misrepresent what they’re listing for sale on eBay,” eBay communications representative Ashley Settle told us. “We are in the process of removing listings for photos of the graphics cards from our marketplace and will be taking appropriate action against the sellers.”

This applies to both black hat and supposedly white hat listings, though it comes with an upside- guaranteed refunds for anyone who does get scammed.

“eBay has policies in place to protect both the buyer and seller when a transaction is made,” Settle told us. “Our eBay Money Back Guarantee ensures that if the item arrives and is significantly different from what was in the listing description, they are able to return the item and receive a refund.”

Most photo listings attempt to work around this by adding a disclaimer about the sale just being for a picture somewhere in the title or description, though because the listings overall are still misleading, Settle told us that “These will be covered on eMBG because the listing is prohibited.”
though it's also worth noting that eBay takes a 10% commission on listings sold, which caps at $750

Fellhammer Slayer

Truly Feared Pyro
eBay claims that is still misrepresentation:

though it's also worth noting that eBay takes a 10% commission on listings sold, which caps at $750

It's not illegal but it is against their policy because it looks bad when somebody buys something that has been made to look real with a real price but turns out to just be a picture. eBay have taken such items off their website before and banned certain sellers.