Lizard

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
I think payload servers should be running pl_barnblitz_pro. It's nearly impossible for blu to cap the last point on default Barnblitz with 32 players, fast respawn, and no engineer limit. The extra opening into the barn gives blu another option and should make it a little more balanced.

Tyknighter

Positively Inhumane Poster
+1 for this as much as Metropolis failed I think Barnblitz pro will be no problem as it's a good custom map that everyone can enjoy.

Lizard

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
I think if pro is added, default barnblitz should remain in the rotation as well since it's one of the more popular maps on the payload servers. It just really heavily favors red.

ЯS6 Augar

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
+1 One of the better maps I liked when I played on Slaughterhouse's custom map server.

Reedgreat

Gore-Spattered Heavy
+1

Or as you mentioned, make modifications to the gameplay so it isn't so overpowered (like an engineer cap, slower respawn for red, etc.)

Bottiger

Administrator
I don't think switching to barnblitz pro will fix the problem.

The issue is the 32 players and the shortened respawn for red.

The only way payload is remotely balanced is to have 20+ second respawn times for red, and even having that, red will still win 70% of the time or more. That's how poorly designed the maps are.

We used to have 20 second respawn times for red at the last and/or second to last cap point and everyone complained about it, so it was dropped to 10.

Maybe having an engineer cap might help (most pubs can't coordinate more than 1 uber) but people generally hate class limits. If it was something high like 8, then maybe it would be tolerated. But then it might not make a difference.

Lizard

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
Can we just add it to the rotation alongside default Barnblitz? If only to see the reception to it.

Lizard

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
I have added it but if it starts to empty the server out like metroplis then it will have to be removed.
Version 8 (the one that's in the rotation now) of the map is glitched, making it actually impossible for blu to win sometimes. The cart will go into the hole and explode at last but the round will keep going until time runs out and red wins. It happens on roughly half of every round, and apparently it's possible to force it to happen but I don't know how. It needs to be an earlier version of the map. The last one that was played in comp was pl_barnblitz_pro6, so that one should be good.

the beet

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Yeah, remove version 8. It's glitched. Downgrade it to version 6 and you're good.

Sometimes, you just need to downgrade something.