• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Friendly Killer

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
On a 24/7 2fort server 2 players were telling me that friendlies are not allowed on these maps because they are custom maps.
I noticed the wording change the rule in the friendly rules, so I thought I would ask.
So are friendlies not allowed on 24/7 2fort maps or are they?
Thank you for your time.

GeneralGamePlayer

Mildly Menacing Medic
What about all the whining abuse that happens as a consequence of you killing 'friendlies' ? Surely if you're taking a slot up on a non-dedicated friendly server, you should expect to be killed? Personally I'd love to be able to selectively enable friendly fire so I could kill friendlies on my own team - I have such venom for the slot-taking, game-ruining morons.

Reactions: Sir Trooper

Sud

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
2fort isn't a custom map, in fact, it's the one map you should go and friendly all day in since 2fort expects those shenanigans.

The custom maps being referred to are the custom game modes like saxton hale or death run, where it derails the game. The idle servers are fine to friendly on too.

Reactions: Zeke Aileron

GeneralGamePlayer

Mildly Menacing Medic
2fort isn't a custom map, in fact, it's the one map you should go and friendly all day in since 2fort expects those shenanigans.

The custom maps being referred to are the custom game modes like saxton hale or death run, where it derails the game. The idle servers are fine to friendly on too.
I like playing 2fort - why should I expect those kind of shenanigans on that specific map? If you can friendly on the idle servers, why not make the idle servers _the_ place to be friendly? Saves annoying the folks (like me) that do like playing tf2 on community servers. I seriously dont get it .. (I am at the older end of the gaming spectrum) - why take up valuable player slots on a very active tf2 server to lay in a deck chair or dance around in a conga line? Why not go where you're not causing disruption and will be among like-minded individuals..

Meh..

• Troll
Reactions: Seminal Inhalation

Sud

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
I like playing 2fort - why should I expect those kind of shenanigans on that specific map? If you can friendly on the idle servers, why not make the idle servers _the_ place to be friendly? Saves annoying the folks (like me) that do like playing tf2 on community servers. I seriously dont get it .. (I am at the older end of the gaming spectrum) - why take up valuable player slots on a very active tf2 server to lay in a deck chair or dance around in a conga line? Why not go where you're not causing disruption and will be among like-minded individuals..

Meh..
I get what you mean, but it's sort of an unwritten rule amongst the tf2 community that maps that are severely flawed from a design standpoint (most ctf maps, hightower, harvest, etc.) are maps where people equip whatever and turn brains off for a time and do whatever.

This helps keep the gameplay cleaner for people who like playing maps that have competitive/tryhard viability like badwater, swiftwater, borneo, upward etc.

It's kinda like having the manure in a pile to keep the flies off the horses. It's by no means perfect or even adhered to a lot of the time, but it is a thing. If you want a higher challenge try hanging out on the vanilla usa servers, it is a bit of a contrast to the alltalk goof fest that is the 2fort 24/7s but a good one.

Reactions: GeneralGamePlayer

Hematite

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Contributor

Meh..
I have similar feelings: I personally abhor friendlies and love 2 Fort. I also feel it is a waste of a slot and wish friendlies were actively discouraged because it can severely imbalance any competitive play. There was one instance where the server was full and everyone on my team was playing engineers except two players (myself and another). There were some good players on the opposing side, so it was a frustrating experience.

I play the game to compete against others and challenge myself to get better. That's my type of fun.

I could play any other server or even Valve servers, but I like that the cheaters are mostly kept at bay here.

GeneralGamePlayer

Mildly Menacing Medic
I think there's 3 types of server.

1) competitive - no messing about, team game, requires team participation.
2) casual - the intention is to kill the other team, capture the intel if you want, more of a free-for-all, practise your skills - choose any class
3) fun - piss about dancing and riding around in tractors / trade / whatever.

The problems only arise when you start to merge any of the 3 with each other.

As an example, yesterday I was queuing for the 32 slot tf2 EU server. It took me about 8 minutes to get in only to find that a good 30% of the opposing team were just 'hanging out' in the sewer and about 10% of my team we're with them... During my 8 mins wait I saw about 3 other people join in front of me, so I'm assuming they were queuing for a period of time too. I usually give myself 10 mins before I go play something/somewhere else.

I have a bit of a 'rep' for being a friendly killer - with due cause .. I'll actively chase a 'friendly' into active fire just to send them back to spawn. Eventually after X mins of whining 'bruh' .. 'why?' .. etc etc (sometimes a lot worse - very insulting) they get all pissy and come chasing me all guns blazing - which is great - they're playing the game at last!

Just going somewhere else is always an option of course, but theres a good few folks on there that are known to each other - its a much nicer place to be when you're challenging each other rather than sipping tea in a deck chair in intel (I mean.. ffs.. why?!)

In my humble opinion, I suggest you make the 32slot tf2 server a type 2 and actively discourage 'friendly' type players.

gala

TF2 Admin
Contributor
That's the issue with 2fort type of meme maps they don't always necessarily have the 2: "casual" feel to them. It's either that or 3: "fun"

There isn't really an issue with friendlies on our other maps such as payload or casual servers, harvest and dustbowl. I'd say even Turbine is less friendly than 2fort purely because it has an objective and rounds

2fort has a certain kind of reputation and is also the most popular map in the game by far so friendlies naturally gravitate towards it, we could either continue with mass banning them for griefing which will spawn complaints and hate on reddit and other platforms or we could simply let them be like every other server

I suggest you make the 32slot tf2 server a type 2 and actively discourage 'friendly' type players.
They are already discouraged by taunt limits and AFK timer if they idle too long, bypassing AFK is bannable

Skial 32 player 2fort servers are still mostly anti friendly in my experience and they dont stay alive for long. Dealing friendlies conventionally is still far better option in my opinion than us starting handing out bans for someone roleplaying homer simpson and standing still for a while as heavy and taunting

I am extremely anti friendly myself and still think banning them will just harm the servers overall, so just kill them and force them to fight back it has usually worked for me. If they try to kick you report them and they will get muted

Also griefing friendlies (blocking own team, helping enemy team by giving them sandviches or healing spies etc.) are still bannable

Reactions: GeneralGamePlayer

Hematite

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Contributor
Also griefing friendlies (blocking own team, helping enemy team by giving them sandviches or healing spies etc.) are still bannable
This is extremely helpful. I don't mind the occasional sandvich, but I've seen people body block snipers on their own team.

Bottiger

Administrator
I am not sure why this hasn't been mentioned yet and why I have to post this every time.

But it is clear that public majority opinion is in favor of allowing friendlies.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/r0wfsw
When we stop getting shit on at reddit with posts like this that have 8500 upvotes, and we start seeing posts with people complaining about friendlies getting thousands of upvotes, we will change back.

Otherwise it looks to me that people that don't like friendlies are a tiny minority.

Sud

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
I am not sure why this hasn't been mentioned yet and why I have to post this every time.

But it is clear that public majority opinion is in favor of allowing friendlies.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/r0wfsw
When we stop getting shit on at reddit with posts like this that have 8500 upvotes, and we start seeing posts with people complaining about friendlies getting thousands of upvotes, we will change back.

Otherwise it looks to me that people that don't like friendlies are a tiny minority.
Yeah I posted a funny twitch clip of fast_pistols cutting down an entire conga line on skial as spy during the era where friendlying was against the rules, and reddit wasn't a fan.

For a group that think themselves "fun" they sure take themselves seriously.

If you start conforming to reddit standards, though, sooner or later killing friendlies is going to be a bannable offense.