chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
The team we are facing tonight only has 9 people on their roster, and they have acted like they will be missing 2-3 players, meaning that they will need to use ringers.

It is our right to refuse this, but they only have 9 players on their roster, virtually guaranteeing that they would be short some weeks. They have had multiple weeks to increase their roster. We set the match day an time (default time) on Friday. They don't have their shit together, however I will feel like an asshole to make them forfeit or play shorthanded.

I will feel stupid if we let them use ringers, then beat us, therefore rewarding their unpreparedness.

Any advice, thoughts, ideas? Thanks

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'd recommended just setting limitations for the quality of the ringers. If you're iron then say the ringers could never have played in esea or a higher division. If you're steel say no im, invite or former silver-plat players. If your team is edging on low silver just request no invite, or plat players. Make them agree to your terms in the match coms. Demand that they have their ringers picked out in advance so you can look them up. (Edit: really only do this if you're worried they might sneak in extra skill, things are such a hassle)

Generally it's a good idea to do for others what you wish they would do for you (if you didn't have players I'm sure you'd want them to let you have ringers) but you ARE within your rights to demand that they play with only rostered players.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
If they are that unorganised in the setup, imagine how unorganised they are going to be in the game.
A team can ask people to merc for them and then add them to their roster 24 hrs in advance, then you have no say if they play or not.
If they are 3 down and you refuse them you need to be aware that you will get a default win, and only half the match points, as they have to have a team of 7+ to play, so match will get reported as not played. 7 or more players show up and they back out, you get full points as the match is deemed as played. just tell them in advance you will only allow players that are in your own div or lower, and ask them for the link to steam profiles before the match so you can check them out in advance, as you know once you agree to a merc there is nothing you can do afterwards if they turn out to carry their team to a victory over you.
I would personaly let the mercs play, their team will not be able to coordinate as well with this many mercs involved.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Update- Well here is what happened: They asked for the ringers before the match started. At match time they said they just needed to use a medic. We looked him up and he seemed like a steel level player. We agreed. Right as the match started one of our team members caught that some steam IDs didn't match and they actually had 2. So whatever. That was our fault for missing it, even though it seemed that they were being sneaky about it. Half was 2-2, with their two ringers top-scoring (I realize that it is not unusual for a medic to top score) but it seemed shady. At half, they said that their demo had to leave and they asked for a third ringer. We put our foot down there and we finished the match 8v9. We ended up winning three more points to win.

I will probably debate whether or not we should have let the 3rd ringer play. In the heat of the moment it seemed like they were bringing in high-level players to be sure that they would win. I have seen 'horror stories' of teams like that allow ringers out of courtesy just to face high-level players.

Reactions: Isil

jwso

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I can say that usually teams that don't allow any mercs are being huge fagets.

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
i thought there was some limit to the number of ringers allowed, but i'm looking through the ugc rules and all i'm getting is this

4.9. Ringers/mercs and Unrostered Team Members. Players that are not on the team's UGC roster are not allowed to play in the match, unless the other team's leader gives written permission. All agreements must be documented, in server chat logs and/or on UGC match comms.
Teams must check rosters prior to match start, and work out roster issues before the match begins. Be honest with your opponent about your player’s roster status. Once both teams are set to Ready, UGC considers this an agreement to move forward with displayed rosters. If a team refuses to remove a ringer/merc by 15 minutes past the agreed match time, their opponent may leave the server and dispute the match.
Either way, good job on not being a bag of dicks about the other team allowing ringers. also wow, what was the other ringer playing? Just the fact that they rang medic makes them a shitty team, but if they rang the combo then wow. :\

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Update- Well here is what happened: They asked for the ringers before the match started. At match time they said they just needed to use a medic. We looked him up and he seemed like a steel level player. We agreed. Right as the match started one of our team members caught that some steam IDs didn't match and they actually had 2. So whatever. That was our fault for missing it, even though it seemed that they were being sneaky about it. Half was 2-2, with their two ringers top-scoring (I realize that it is not unusual for a medic to top score) but it seemed shady. At half, they said that their demo had to leave and they asked for a third ringer. We put our foot down there and we finished the match 8v9. We ended up winning three more points to win.

I will probably debate whether or not we should have let the 3rd ringer play. In the heat of the moment it seemed like they were bringing in high-level players to be sure that they would win. I have seen 'horror stories' of teams like that allow ringers out of courtesy just to face high-level players.

If I'm not misreading the post, most leagues take steam ID mismatches seriously, when I was playing in CS 1.6 we had some idiot on the opposing team mistype his ID, we beat them - but after someone accused me and a friend of mine for hacking they did an inquiry into the match and discovered the wrong WON ID was typed in, they somehow overturned our win into a win by default lol...was so stupid.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
If I'm not misreading the post, most leagues take steam ID mismatches seriously, when I was playing in CS 1.6 we had some idiot on the opposing team mistype his ID, we beat them - but after someone accused me and a friend of mine for hacking they did an inquiry into the match and discovered the wrong WON ID was typed in, they somehow overturned our win into a win by default lol...was so stupid.

When we typed "status" in console to compare IDs to UGC roster. One of the players names had a clan tag and was similar to a roster member's name, but different steam ID.

They told us that this guy was supposed to be on their team, and NOT a ringer, that someone got onto their UGC roster and deleted people. IDK

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
i thought there was some limit to the number of ringers allowed, but i'm looking through the ugc rules and all i'm getting is this

Either way, good job on not being a bag of dicks about the other team allowing ringers. also wow, what was the other ringer playing? Just the fact that they rang medic makes them a shitty team, but if they rang the combo then wow. :\

The other top scorer was a spy. He was the one that supposedly got deleted from their UGC roster.

My team was split on whether to let them use a ringer/merc I made the final decision to go a head and let them use one, especially since it was a medic.

Reactions: Giildy

extaa

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Personally, I would never let anyone hire mercs into their team instead of their teammates. 9 times of 10 mercs are from higher division and raping hard everyone. Why should my team pay for their irresponsibility? If I want to get my ass kicked by div 3 players I will just sneak into private etf2l lobbies. Otherwise, Im competing with people at same level as me. So if they have any issues with presence, its their own problem.

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The other top scorer was a spy. He was the one that supposedly got deleted from their UGC roster.

My team was split on whether to let them use a ringer/merc I made the final decision to go a head and let them use one, especially since it was a medic.
they really should just add everybody they think will be in a match to the roster, even if it's a long shot. I mean, my team has 6 people added up the the roster but the odds of them getting used are suuuuuuper slim.

The Dude◄skial►[CROM]

Unremarkable User
Personally, I would never let anyone hire mercs into their team instead of their teammates. 9 times of 10 mercs are from higher division and raping hard everyone. Why should my team pay for their irresponsibility? If I want to get my ass kicked by div 3 players I will just sneak into private etf2l lobbies. Otherwise, Im competing with people at same level as me. So if they have any issues with presence, its their own problem.
When you get a ringer/merc, wouldn't you want to get the best you could find?

jwso

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Sure thing, I want to KnOxx or F2 be my mercs, but I know like they are 6 divisions higher then my own and opponent team.
Yeah, most teams don't agree to even a division higher players, even if the merc wouldn't be playing their main class.

I know a couple EU Steel teams that have prem or div 1 players, and it's kind of annoying.
Still - I don't think there's a rule that doesn't allow it.