ish

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
https://gamebanana.com/maps/192650

There are multiple mistakes with this map as a whole, and I will be addressing the majority of them in this thread.
(if you already have a general dislike for this map, then you should already know the majority of these reasons without needing to read them fully)

1. General layout of the map/(most)abusable strategies
At first glance, cinema is an incredibly small and condensed map consisting of 4 main areas where most of the fighting happens. The main theater, the small and narrow corridors, the ticketing area, and the projector room behind the Castle Crashers painting. The main theater is an all-out slugfest for high DPS classes to damage farm to clueless hales, and 50% of the fighting occurs in this main area. Right of the bat, this is a massive disadvantage to hales because of the room's small area, not to mention the low ceilings which immediately render explosive weighdown useless. Another area of the main room is the two vents to the left and right of RED spawn. Usually, engineers settle down in these areas, inevitably getting killed due to the lack of knockback sentries do to hales. However, after hales enter these vents, they are constantly getting stunned and pushed back by offensive classes and usually stay in there until their deaths, the exceptions being Vagineer, the Easter Bunny, and HHH because of his teleport (unless the hales are clueless and don't know how to rage/teleport, etc...).

However, this is far from the worst room on the map. Going through the corridors into the CC painting is a death trap for any hale who is unaware of the tele-fragging abuse of the room. When you go into the painting, you are teleported against a wall into the projector room, and if you have the unfortunate outcome of being stuck in a dispenser/sentry, you lose 9001 of your health, and then some if there is a medic ubering the engineer. On top of this telefrag choke point, once you exit the projector room, you are teleported right below the room, and have the possibility of getting stuck in another dispenser/sentry or player to get tele-fragged a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th time. When there are competent regulars on the server, this strat becomes easily abusable.

Now onto the ticketing area. The rails in the middle of the room have invisible walls that go above them, which means you can't jump over them. This leaves players and hales only able to walk around them in a square formation, or through the rails in a zig-zag. One strat that has become easily abusable is loose cannon demo with all 4 of their heads for maximum speed and health. You are easily able to keep walking around the rails in a game of ring around the rosie with hale while knocking the hale back if they get too close, and repeating the cycle. And even when your shield is gone and get hit once, there is a medium health kit and small ammo pack in front of the screen doors that open to the outside area when all secret buttons are pressed (don't worry, I'll get to that later). This draws out rounds for an ungodly amount of time when demo(s) are good and the hale has a significant amount of health left. I myself can't say that I haven't done this because I created this strat when the map was first added into the map pool.

Now the secret buttons I was referring to in the previous paragraph allow players to access the outside area into 2 more rooms. One room being where the cap point is, which caps incredibly fast even without a scout, leading to a bigger room with a lake and breakable glass walls to a large health kit. Both these rooms just waste time for hale searching for players, leaving the majority of the team still in the 4 main areas of the map. The majority of the player base doesn't know where all the secret buttons are, but sometimes the map glitches out and opens the doors without having all buttons being found.

The general layout of the map is pretty awful and usually results in long rounds if the hale isn't immediately killed in 1-3 minutes.

2. Player base reactions to this map
While Bottiger bases his map additions on popularity and statistics from other servers, generally, this map is dreaded by most regulars on VSH. Some players enjoy the map because of how janky it is, and the ease in farming damage, but overall it is not fun. The better regulars do not enjoy this map because of its general layout, and because of our selection of hales and their stats. Vagineer absolutely tears through RED with ease in one rage because of how small the map is, and the same can be said with the Easter Bunny. HHH becomes a walking tank and gives him a slight edge due to his climbs to catch up to players, abusing the rows of chairs, and close walls, all the while having increased range from the axe and reduced knockback. Since most players play in clusters on cinema due to the small space, CBS can easily pick off one player with one arrow almost every time and becomes complete RNG to who dies.

Generally, cinema being voted kills off the majority of the population of regulars who play daily, and will usually avoid joining when cinema is the current map. While it is important to continue to have players join VSH despite the map, I would say the net positive is lower than the net negative if the goal is to keep a dedicated player base to Skial VSH, rather than randoms who always join and leave after a few maps, returning maybe once a week.

For these reasons, and hopefully the reasons that will be added in support, vsh_cinema should be removed for the general longevity of the server and community.

thehowl5657

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
+1

It's absolutely the kind of map that encourages even regulars to leave until it is gone. It is honestly infuriating to no end to see so many players supporting this map simply to meme. While I can understand the appeal of enjoying "meme-ish" maps, in the case of cinema I really must say that it does more harm than good, and only instead serves to divide the community. I have witnessed multiple fights break out in chat as well as friendships ending over a map. This map needs to go.

Last edited:

rickenn

Mildly Menacing Medic
+1
The map is jarring to play when you compare it to every other map in the rotation.

Hypotized&Mesmerized

Scarcely Lethal Noob
+1

It's especially because of the jank that makes Cinema a dread for most people. You're rewarded for camping the small theater room or the telefrag trap room with little incentive to go anywhere else, honestly a disappointment considering map knowledge can be a vital skill in your survival but has a nonexistent gameplay impact here

Iris Ⓐ

Truly Feared Pyro
Contributor
+1
The only reason anyone plays this ridiculous map is to abuse stupid damage gimmicks and to do the dumb button objective.

Stopwatch

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
+1

Was working on a full document, but it went bye-bye when my disk drive fried earlier this week. I'm gonna do my best to remake it.

Here's a Copy-Paste from a private discord from earlier:

"Today at 11:19 AM
Here's the general list of criticisms I was listing out in the essay before it got sent to the void:
-Teleporter room acts as a funnel that encourages a double frag setup, regardless of whether or not the hale can see what's coming through the projector room, there's no form of alternative engagement like other maps. RED gets a 5 second head start at the beginning of the round to set things up.
-Loads of invisible walls and inconsistent borders that make the map unclear and frustrating for new players.
-Loads of hiding spots that encourage round stalling and wasting the time of other players.
-Tons of cramped and claustrophobic areas and alienating map design that makes it difficult fot mercs to know the location of the hale.
-The conttol point, an essential part of any map that is used to prevent stalling or avoid unfair cheese setups is locked behind 12 hidden buttons, one of which is in the frag funnel itself.
-The sliding metal doors that create an "unseen fear" situation for both sides and makes transitioning from the main room to the hall cumbersome and difficult.
-Irritating and obtrusive terrain design that can make it hard for players to move around and can cause them to get stuck in places, specifically between the seats and the white tankers.
-A laundry list of other reasons I don't feel like typing right now because I'm on mobile.

But yeah, that was the short version.
[11:21 AM]
Even if the thread gets cinema removed, I'm still gonna redo the essay best I can and make sure the map NEVER comes back in its current form.
[11:22 AM]
It's genuinely terribly designed."

Last night broke my back, and I'm not coming back until I push myself to rewrite and finish my full essay, or until the map gets removed or changed.

Stack Man

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Mapper
+1

A few weeks ago I might have said it's another one of those "divisive" maps. A map with both lovers and haters.

But lately, the "haters" side seems much stronger, even to the point that some regulars are now just leaving whenever it gets voted in.

Honestly, I think many people have grown tired of cinema's gimmicks, between the small rooms, cramped hallways, and forced telefrags.

MANBEAROW | OW OW OW

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
As one who helped invent the telefrag trapping tactic on Cinema when the map came to Skial this past summer, +1

What makes the projection room especially brutal for Hale vs. Engineer comes in the following aspects:

1. As mentioned above, RED gets a head start. This enables the Engineer time to get into the room and set-up before Hale can even do anything about it. Hale is forced to let it build or attempt to rush it, but that goes into the next one:
2. Not only is there one exit that's another teleport onto a spot that can be trapped, the loop from the projection room exit back to the entrance is tiny, and goes through two sliding doors. The Engineer can build a sticking building in the projection room to delay the Hale upon entry, then escape and run back towards the projector room entrance ready to enter when Hale leaves. The Engineer will almost always win the race as Hale not only has to wait on the doors himself, but also has to contend with a likely giant mass of RED beating down on him (without considering the possibility of the projector room exit trap being placed behind him to catch him twice rather than just once), giving the Engineer a nigh-perpetual head start on any chase Hale wishes to perform.

And that is just with one Engineer. If there are multiple, they can essentially double trap the loop indefinitely, forcing Hale to either give up even trying to enter the room or brave the attempt and hope that the Engineers mess up.

In short, Hale is essentially at the mercy of RED choosing not to do this.

There are options still for Hale to try to break the looping trap, such as rage and capping, but for either to truly work, RED has to give Hale that opening (in the case of the former, RED communicating what Hale is doing and tracking him - trivial to do on Cinema - gives any trapping Engineer way more than enough time to act first on top of still being able to listen to Hale's entry through the doors and thus having the opportunity to escape while Hale has to get himself unstuck first, and in the case of the latter, capping requires RED to get the buttons themselves or requires Hale to go into the projector room to get one of the buttons anyway, negating the entire point of going for buttons). This leads back to the fundamental issue - Hale has effectively zero agency short of either picking a hale that can survive a trap via rage or ability or being forced to accept a stalemate should RED choose to do so.

And to top it all off, this is not even the only thing Hale has to worry about - the ticket room is also notorious for knockback classes to juggle Hale around in a semi-indefinite loop, and the movie room itself is just a total jank battle that forces Hale to hope he wins (being fair, RED also has the same deal if they elect to offer battle there as 99% of games do).

TL;DR Map as is enables RED to keep forcing Hale to risk the telefrag trap spots or accept doing nothing for a round, at best a total time waster and at worst a depressing experience for Hale with solutions to them entirely dependent on whether RED allows him to do so. And that's only just one of the issues.

H-2

Scarcely Lethal Noob
+1 Map is very constraining with the low ceiling and the seats making it hard to move on the ground in the theater room. The narrow hall ways leading to the ticketing area is even worse, easy to get trapped and sucker punched by boss. I see at least 1/3 or 1/2 of the players in the server complain about going there when it is voted.

RockoRango

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
+1
The points you've made are all correct.

I'd also like to reiterate how stupid the whole 'popularity > quality' narrative Bottiger gives off is: If a map is incredibly humdrum, it should be removed regardless of how frequently it's picked. This goes for a lot of filler maps that've been added just because of the player count (popularity) increasing when they're currently being played (because the regulars leave and the maps are recognizable to newcomers). Whether it be because:

A) It's easy to abuse broken map mechanics
B) Get massive amounts of damage for free
C) The map giving a certain class a ridiculously unbalanced and, frankly, not enjoyable advantage (too many health kits = broken manthreads hell or spy being extremely OP due to how clustered a map is)
D) As already stated, the map is recognizable to new players
or
E) Just to troll players they're not fond of on the server,

this map (and other similar filler maps like vsh_military_area copy 5012) is picked by randoms/trolls that dilute the overall experience/quality of playing on the server and inflate the fake 'popularity' rating as a result. You're driving away regulars who play Skial VSH daily because they actually love to play on it (as well as love the community surrounding the server) and attracting the extremely toxic and competition-driven players because those types of people just want to see the rewarding damage numbers once the round is over regardless of it being a dull and stupid experience for other players.

tl;dr: Stop putting this type of bull into the rotation just because certain people think it'll inflate the player count and instead put them in because they're well-made and fun maps. This map is neither of those, and I guarantee it wouldn't be put in if its quality was checked first.

Rigal

Unremarkable User
+1
I also agree with Ish, my point is that the row of seats are perfect places to stun-lock hales using a huntsman which can be troublesome due to how narrow the spacing is between the other rows and the fact that you have to super-jump tour way out of it, another point is the size of the map itself, the area of effect that raging has, and factoring both new and experienced VSH players added on with the ability to spam "e" further ruins the fun of playing this map in particular, a final point I wanted to make is that it creates a repetitive behavior to camp in a single room for long periods of time hoping that any boss is oblivious or forced to go into the area to get tele-fragged, added on by another group intending to stay in the same spot to stun-lock a boss to death, or a bunch of players end hanging out in the ticket booth to annoy any boss who then proceed to get tossed around by loose cannons demos, and this is without factoring in medics, trolldiers, spies and heavies.