FrozenFirebug

Mildly Menacing Medic
I understand that you don't want people blocking the surf for others, but this has no place on a combat surf server, let alone the last living one. Within 5 minutes of playing today, I've instagibbed a market gardener soldier who should've by all rights killed me just because he touched me at the wrong angle, then I got instagibbed for charging into a pyro as demoknight at the wrong angle. In other cases, the soldier got a free 120 damage on me just by brushing against my shoulder, and I got triple the charge impact damage I should've on some targets. Scouts can bring you to half health just by jumping in your face. I reckon pyros will end up killing themselves if they try to hit an airblasted target with melee.

It's a complete mess and borderline unplayable at times. The funnest part of surf is the freedom of movement and its application to combat, and you've gutted that by making two of the most fun mobile classes (soldier and tide turner demo) either useless or extremely overpowered at point blank, depending on what RNG holds for the individual.

Please either greatly reduce the minimum and maximum damage of collision, as well as make it only come into play at 2000+ HU/s, or remove it entirely. Thank you.

Bottiger

Administrator
I changed the minimum speed from 400 to 800.

I am not sure I can get it to work with charge though because the game seems to remove the charge status before touching the other player and activating our code.

Reactions: Delays

obser

Uncharitable Spy
I changed the minimum speed from 400 to 800.

I am not sure I can get it to work with charge though because the game seems to remove the charge status before touching the other player and activating our code.
Can you try and make the hit collision apply only to the surf? Rocket jumping is completely OP and on maps like surf_air_arena or surf_rainbow (with the jetpack secret) you can kill everyone just by bumping into them.

Reactions: Seminal Inhalation

Bottiger

Administrator
Can you try and make the hit collision apply only to the surf? Rocket jumping is completely OP and on maps like surf_air_arena or surf_rainbow (with the jetpack secret) you can kill everyone just by bumping into them.

I can zero out the vertical velocity when calculating the minimum velocity needed to damage another player. Other than that, there's no way to detect if the player is falling because they are surfing or because of a rocket jump.

obser

Uncharitable Spy
Thanks, Bottiger. (I know its awkward to say thank you now, but I didn't see this until now, so thanks! :D)

Reactions: porkchop