Meowrisa

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I think this issue needs to be brought up in a more official place, and is long overdue.
The Skial Admin BBQ Prophet has been causing way more problems than he's worth, and I have sufficient evidence that I think warrants him being removed from the position.

First off, he's rude and just gives off an air that's bad for the community. While this in itself wouldn't be enough to get him removed if he did his job well, we can also see that he doesn't even do that right. He's been involved in 2 too many controversially triggerhappy bans, and that's something he should not be allowed to do anymore. He's also been complained about by a lot of server regulars, whom may I remind you are the main people we are trying to appease here and the whole reason the rules exist.

2 examples of him being involved/influential in controversial bans where his only evidence is his word:
https://www.skial.com/threads/ztg-«bbq»-prophet-notadr-this-admin-is-abusing-his-authority-and-lying-on-my-ban-appeal.69583/#post-703908

https://www.skial.com/threads/appeal-♛-jojo-da-pope-♛.69560/#post-703856 (Same case)

https://www.skial.com/threads/appeal-stealther.68956/#post-699744

(Notice that all of which were overturned by KillerZebra.)

He's handled about 20 appeals from what my research came up with, and he has done something out of line twice. This means that 10% of the time, from what we see on the forums, he's messed up. Other admins have had about one of these controversial bans if any in a number of years. Of course, I found more examples where admins have disagreed with him and their opinion has been swept to the side and ignored, and a ton of examples of him just lacking common courtesy in a bunch of his appeals and reports, amounting to about 25% of all of the one's he's handled that I could find in his history. Now the scary part is, if you take what he's done here and consider the things he's done outside of the eye of the forum, in a more privatized place, then him banning for controversial or wrong things 10% of the time is deeply concerning. Especially when you consider how many people appeal/report in comparison to how many people actually get banned on Skial. I personally think that the Jojo example was where he crossed the line. I highly doubt that he thought that ban was warranted and fair, but he knew the rules and used a statement someone said in a very joking way and banned them permanently without warning. BBQ says he warned them, but him saying "It was a prank" doesn't count. I know my research is limited because I'm but a simple forum regular and have not seen his in-server behavior, but from what I hear from the people who have seen it, it is far from what we want being the face of our community.

All in all, BBQ Prophet is just not worth the trouble. We have a great trade moderator in the form of Sargent Y and, while the extra help is good, I do not think that someone who reflects so negatively on the community should be kept in power. The examples he's already made could easily be used to further lower the reputation of our servers, even if you disregard his appalling attitude towards the regulars whom he considers beneath him. People do not like feeling belittled or treated unfairly and this is something BBQ Prophet does to everyone universally. Including to admins, of which I can name at least 5 off the top of my head who agree with my opinion. A little extra help is not worth losing reputation or infighting among the admins.

Thanks for the consideration, and regardless of what happens, have a nice day.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
To add onto Samson's example, here is another ban he had to overturn that was completely out of line:

https://www.skial.com/sourcebans/index.php?p=banlist&searchText=[U:1:184098259]&Submit

He permabanned someone for saying "I'll rape your parents." If I didn't notice, this player would have been unfairly banned. That's 3 cases of wrongful bans, AT LEAST.

Furthermore, he's incredibly aggressive and a downright asshole when he talks to people:

I'm happy to counter-antagonize you. Learn to speak fucking English

68651a0950f930da0b8bc5cb046dcfbd26f45eaf3dbd1535ac9c0e23f24a2e49.jpg

I'm pretty sure that there are maybe five members of staff and a dozen forum users who tolerate me, and honestly, that may be too many. I would honestly be worried to have the majority, who are mostly cookie-cutter, slow-to-act-but-quick-to-call-abuse, whistle-blowing, drama-generating invalids on my side a majority of the time. The fact that I am a black sheep makes me perfect for this job as a member of the team (and most opinions are generally trash anyway; it's funny how the most intentionally seasoned-sounding, semi-sage people here don't qualify for any position besides one in Unmod, bitching, as usual). There are these things called "servers" where people actually play and don't just bitch for no objective reason; that's where I like to be, keeping the peace and dealing with the closest thing to reality there is in the scope of a gaming community (you know, the game). Sure, the forums have their place and can be useful, but they're a world apart from the game [read: the purpose for the forums' even existing] and mother of fuck do some of you pedantic bastards take it seriously beyond its usefulness. I, for one, didn't apply for this job for a pat on the back at every turn and I'd hate to see what some of you would obsess over without me to shake you out of your comfortable little expectations.

I think I've got this "Bad Admin" thing figured out:

Calling bullshit on bullshitters [ x ] Bad Admin
Not kissing the asses of shitty members [ x ] Bad Admin
Not praising shitty, subjective opinions [ x ] Bad Admin
Valuing player experience over personal beliefs [ x ] Bad Admin
Not being a shitty, faggot, wannabe-guru bitch [ x ] Bad Admin
Disagreeing with popular, subjective, ineffective policy [ x ] Bad Admin
Actually playing on Skial servers [ x ] Bad Admin
Doing anything besides circle-jerking in Unmod [ x ] Bad Admin
Not being a hypocritical, spineless flip-flopper [ x ] Bad Admin
Being BBQ Prophet (beat you to it, faggot) [ x ] Bad Admin
Understanding the English language [ x ] Bad Admin
Actually caring about the legal safety and longevity of the community [ x ] Bad Admin
Wanting to solve problems preemptively [ x ] Bad Admin
Interpreting the Rules as they are written and using them to the server's advantage [ x ] Bad Admin
Being an Admin butbutbut I wanted to be an Admin, that's not fair, mom! [ x ] Bad Admin

There's probably a dozen more of those messages, but those basically sum up his behavior and attitude.

Not only is he standoffish, but he also DOESN'T ADMIT WHEN HE IS IN THE WRONG. People make bad calls, that's fine, but you have to own up to it. BBQ does not do that. He fights tooth and nail to try and prove his point even when half a dozen other admins tell him "no, that's not right." We're supposed to be an admin TEAM, and when one person undermines everyone else on the staff, that's cause for alarm.

Also, when he deals with appeals, he antagonizes the person who is appealing and then proceeds to rate their valid concerns with a dumb/troll. He also locks threads before other admins can chime into the appeal, making the appealer feel even more powerless despite their valid claims. Examples:

https://www.skial.com/threads/ztg-«...and-lying-on-my-ban-appeal.69583/#post-703843

https://www.skial.com/threads/appeal-♛-jojo-da-pope-♛.69560/

https://www.skial.com/threads/appeal-stealther.68956/

+1 to this suggestion. Admins are supposed to be pillars of the community, and should not demean people based on biases and ignorant assumptions.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
I feel like this should be something left to be discussed with the admins alone, and not the rest of us. While you have presented the evidence, its not really a topic that anyone should have input on. It should be left to the people who have had the most dealings with him (admins) and ultimately to the head of staff, bottiger.

There is also bias within the non-admins

Reactions: OnYourMark ✿

Party Chocobo

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I feel like this should be something left to be discussed with the admins alone, and not the rest of us. While you have presented the evidence, its not really a topic that anyone should have input on. It should be left to the people who have had the most dealings with him (admins) and ultimately to the head of staff, bottiger.

With this way of thinking nothing would have happened to Cream Tea and set up a really shitty precedent.

Reactions: RMSniper

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
+1

Absolutely agree, this kind of attitude shouldn't be acceptable, to reference what I said to him previously:
Continue to insult 50% of the population, you're not making yourself any friends.

I've never done "underhanded bullshit", I wouldn't say that I have an "in-crowd" - I'm not even very good friends with @MemeBoyCrow ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) - but like it or not, they're part of the Skial community just as much as you or anyone else is.

I'm not saying "Fuck the facts, fuck the community, I got to side with majority and talk shit." Facts are incredibly important, as always. In terms of "fuck the community", I don't think you understand what the word actually means... if this amount of people disagree with you, then it is quite clear that you might be wrong, you might just be unable to see that. I'm not siding with majority because of their quantity - but because they're correct in many of the things they've been saying.

If you think that I'm talking shit by voicing my opinion and disagreeing with you, then you have no place being an admin - people are allowed their opinions, don't try to strawman argument me when you don't like what I'm saying. I'm never going to say that I agree with 100% of what someone is saying, unless they're actually right. Hitler could rise from the dead and walk in here right now and say "There are 6 types of chess piece" - I'm not going to disagree with him just because of who he is, I'll agree with anything that he says which is either factual, makes sense, or that I agree with.

I realise that these things come from unmod - just because a part of the forum is unmoderated, doesn't mean we can't use it as a judge of character.
Throughout the most recent occasion, he keeps saying insulting things, such as:
How to talk like a female 101, underhanded bullshit, snickering with your little in-crowd.
This kind of language should not be acceptable at all - insulting all females just because of his short-sightedness, ignorance and inability to listen to other points of view is beyond what we should allow within this community, especially from someone who has been given a position such as admin - we should expect ourselves as admins to be held to a higher standard.

Now sure, maybe I did something to annoy him? Well, this is what I said to him which caused him to talk like that:
I have no problem with people having opinions about me, it's not like I think myself a martyr or anything
This came from Prophet himself stating that:
Saying things in a seemingly-nice way for the sake of saying whatever you want doesn't make you nice, it makes you a female.
I hear and listen to plenty of criticism, I just don't concern myself with opinions because they're as worthless to me as mine are to everyone else.
You may have noticed that I don't particularly give a fuck about anything besides Skial's benefit and if I'm the only one who thinks like that, then I'm honored to be a martyr for the sake of the community.
Now - once again, we have him offending women through this "...doesn't make you nice, it makes you female" statement. Though this is an aside to everything else, what's more important is that he, as an admin in this community, "doesn't concern [himself] with opinions" because they're worthless to him - we should be expected to take account of opinions, we are here as admins to represent the Skial community and made sure everyone in the community is as happy as we have the ability to enable them to be... but if you're not listening to peoples opinions, then this isn't possible.

Throughout today I've heard many opinions about Prophet from many different places, firstly from what I've seen and made of him myself through the brief interaction (and immediate attack) that I had with him, to the other members of the community such as @MemeBoyCrow ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) and @Samson - even going so far as to hear people on the trade servers themselves say that Prophet "never gives a shit about anything" and that he has a bad attitude - I never even asked for their opinion, bear in mind. To give context on this situation, I was checking out a report ( https://www.skial.com/threads/theposhllama-voice-spam.69605/ ) which had been posted, so I joined the server. Upon asking people on the server if they had any evidence, I was asked which admin I was and before I even responded with my name someone on the server said "Well it can't be Prophet he never gives a shit about anything we tell him".

Admin applications are open to the public for the same reason that this suggestion thread should also be left open for the public, so everyone can give input no matter their standing in the community - transparency isn't a bad thing in cases like this.

Reactions: Ed_

Blade D_Hero

Contributor

That's not true at all and admins shouldn't be the only ones who can weigh in on decisions such as this. If people in the community don't agree with the actions he takes and the attitude he displays, then why would you silence them?

JayDee

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor

admins are elected innit

Reactions: RMSniper

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Thanks for doing this for me Sam, did not have alot of time to make this. +1 to all of this. Hes an egotistical person who causes nothing but harm. I have yet to see anyone rush to his defense, let alone the admin team.

BBQ Prophet

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
You're really going to quote me from Unmod? That is the lowest of the low and is not relevant to any position I hold here. If it were acceptable to just take anything out of context for slanderous purposes, especially from Unmod, a several members of staff wouldn't hold positions here. I cannot reiterate how disappointed I am to be persecuted like this.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
As Someone brought up,

While on the Trade Mod team, he created this group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/iTriedToScamBBQ. People who attempted to scam him, people appealing their Skial tags, etc where invited to the group by him.

Note: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/iTriedToScamBBQ/discussions/0/357286119100383015/ where he primarily responds to a user who he reported and who will later be appealing.

He was warned by Faron and he left the group, but damn does this speak a lot about his personality.

In that group he continues to antagonize people who have done wrong in his eyes. So the argument of "at least he's a good trade mod" doesn't hold any water.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
You're really going to quote me from Unmod? That is the lowest of the low and is not relevant to any position I hold here. If it were acceptable to just take anything out of context for slanderous purposes, especially from Unmod, a several members of staff wouldn't hold positions here. I cannot reiterate how disappointed I am to be persecuted like this.
I'm not taking anything out of context.

Furthermore: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/iTriedToScamBBQ/discussions/0/357286119100383015/
Some of the things that Prophet has said from that link:
Dude, your shitty fucking Unusual, which is not worth extra for being level 98 and is not "burning effect," it is Orbiting Fire (worth only 13 Keys) and your even shittier Unturned waste of fucking space (worth less than 2 Keys) IS NOT A GOOD FUCKING OFFER FOR MY KNIFE THAT IS WORTH OVER 200 MOTHERFUCKING KEYS, YOU STUPID, ILLITERATE, COCKSUCKING, GARBAGE ASS, PIECE OF SHIT, SCAMMING, LITTLE INBRED FUCK. YOU DID TRY TO SCAM ME, NOT ONLY BY INTENTIONALLY TRYING TO MISLEAD ME BUT ALSO BY THE SHEER NATURE OF THE OFFER. You'll be lucky if I don't have you marked for item misrepresentation, you dumb little parasite. Uninstall Steam.

We'll see about that, faggot.

I'm 22, could break you in half in real life, am a Trade Moderator for Skial and you're a faggot.
http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198028639450

Is this the kind of person you want to be representing the Skial community?

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I knew you where going to use the "its unmod" loophole. Guess what, you don't see yourself as a wrong person in or outside unmod and its easy to tell. Please find us people who defend your behavior besides you, because we have all yet to see or find anyone who agrees with you, let alone likes you at this time.

Meowrisa

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The difference is that you act the exact same inside unmod as you do outside of unmod. None of it's a joke. None of it's in good fun. All of what you said in unmod is who you are and the regs see that, too.

ly_dee

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
As much as i've never wanted it to end up this way, i honestly believe it's time for him to leave.

https://www.skial.com/threads/ztg-«...g-an-admin-for-bribing-kids-to-scam-me.65260/

This report was the one that crossed the line for me. Mods can see which comments were deleted in that thread and can confirm this. For those who don't know or forgot, he said the OP was "talking out of his ass" + some other borderline insults that i don't remember.

For reference, i called him out for that back then https://www.skial.com/threads/reply-in-unmod.21031/page-1068#post-673127

I have never heard or seen any admins handle things so poorly.

Edit: ninja'd by courtney