Defibyoulater

Australian Skial God
Contributor
COMMUNITY MEMBERRRRRRRRRRRRS!

We regulars of the Hale server have finally been fed up with a daunting and gritty close knit map! This map is known as Military Area: a small levitating box with a disgusting puke-like background and a few rainbows. When you think of small contained maps, you think that it is a plus for the hales, who can easily keep track of players, and have quicker access to pick off certain classes. Which forces an interesting challenge among the users, causing them to protect one another. In other words, such maps cause Hale players to actually use teamwork! (we call it weaving)

But Military Area is not one of these holy maps. It is littered with multiple platforms and a silly watchtower in the center. The multiple platforms are like security boundaries for players, easily hoping onto one gives you an advantage and an over-sight ability. Not to mention, if you are temporarily fleeing and in need of health, there are full-hp health packs scattered across the map, which are all accompanied by ammo boxes. This gives even soldiers, one the most disadvantaged classes in hale, full capabilities.

Raging will not help you here. If you rage to advance, your situation is truly difficult. You may rage a platforms worth of people, but the people on the platform close by will cover the raged players. This cover will prevent the hale from accessing the raged players. All this makes even raging, a last resort, compromised! No hale can win against 7 players or more. Not even me or anyone else in the 1959 Det.

We request, and would highly appreciate the removal of Military Area. Thank you very much!

Edit: fixed typo.

Last edited:

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor

It's a rather popular map, gets chosen quite often when it pops up in the RTD list

It is a map that is a bit more difficult to play on as Hale but its certainly nothing impossible for him to win. Even a crappy player like me can win on Military Area as hale

And if we're going to seriously remove maps based primarily off it being hard for hale, then we may as well remove 80% of the VSH maps since most of them either favor hale or the mercs

mike-kirby

Positively Inhumane Poster
+∞ and beyond. The large healthpacks are just way too common and makes it too unfair for hale.
Rocket, flare and sticky jumping doesn't have a penalty here since there are many healthpacks near eachother. Got hit as a spy? No worries, you can just walk a bit forward and your health is instantly restored.

Reactions: Defibyoulater

Kyle

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Back when I used to play Hale like a year ago I hated this map. +1

Defibyoulater

Australian Skial God
Contributor

It's a rather popular map, gets chosen quite often when it pops up in the RTD list
This map is popular because It's point easy for all the classes.

Took damage? Run to a wall and grab the health.
In trouble? Hop on a crate. Most are littered with heavy's and engies.
Snipers need good place to hide? Bushwaka into a tree.

These are simple things that are accustomed to all maps, but in such close quarters with little xy hale jump ability, it's like getting your face belt sanded.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
This map is popular because It's point easy for all the classes.

These are simple things that are accustomed to all maps, but in such close quarters with little xy hale jump ability, it's like getting your face belt sanded.

It's still not that much of a challenge to win the map. Like I said earlier, I'm not that good of a hale yet I win most of the time with some basic tactics. Most other hales I see don't have much trouble winning the map either. It's more of a challenge for them but certainly nothing manageable for any half-decent hale.

And I don't see how the health kits are causing such a massive problem to the point where it merits removing a entire popular map for something that isn't making it even remotely impossible to win.

They grab health, one punch still kills most of the classes. Worst case scenario you punch them twice. That's not game breaking.

If you want to remove the map based off those health kits then we may as well disable medics since they heal and allow mercenaries to take up to 2-4 extra hits before dying.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Also taking a punch at these:

This is the case for every map. Most other maps don't have full sized health kits but they are littered with smaller sized ones. Military area has far, far fewer health kits than most other maps but they're bigger in size. It balances itself out and you're also dealing with a ton of mercs all trying to go for those few health kits. There's people usually waiting in line for one to spawn until you get down to the fewer numbers.

Even so, as I pointed out above they're not any serious problem. The worst thing it causes is requiring you to punch someone twice which only works on classes that have over 125 health

I've never had much problems getting onto those crates. If anyone does that's what you have rage for. I've never yet found myself completely denied from cleaning up the top of a crate with or without rage, especially when they're littered with sentries and heavies. One rage and I can kick all of their asses. Most of the time rage isn't needed to do the job.

There are no trees on Military Area. Crevice has a ton of them and they're terrible hiding spots.

Snipers bushwhacking their way up crates aren't hard to take care of. That's also ignoring the fact that there are no decent sniping spots on military area making it all the more difficult for snipers to operate

Smaller maps are more of a challenge but I still see hales win quite often on smaller maps

I just don't see how any of these things justifies removing a map that is popular. I could come up with a list of flaws for every map but that doesn't mean that hales lose those maps often due to balance issues

Defibyoulater

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I understand what you're saying, but I don't see/nor believe hales win easily on this map.

The point about being a player is not only scoring damage, but survive ability. The closeness of platforms/damage-cover areas, and the health packs defeats the players need for securing their survive ability. Which leads Military Area to feel more like a hale hunt (in which the animal cannot harm you), rather a versus saxton hale.

The health-packs are more than worth their respawn time. If you feel threatened standing on one side while waiting for a health pack, it's easy just to wait at the next corner.
There are trees on Military area, I just forgot to mention that they're the palm trees.
And I do agree with you, that smaller maps do offer more of a challenge. But with Military Area's odd encountering, and provisions makes it feel bland for players, and difficult for hales.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I understand what you're saying, but I don't see/nor believe hales win easily on this map.

The point about being a player is not only scoring damage, but survive ability. The closeness of platforms/damage-cover areas, and the health packs defeats the players need for securing their survive ability. Which leads Military Area to feel more like a hale hunt (in which the animal cannot harm you), rather a versus saxton hale.

The health-packs are more than worth their respawn time. If you feel threatened standing on one side while waiting for a health pack, it's easy just to wait at the next corner.
There are trees on Military area, I just forgot to mention that they're the palm trees.
And I do agree with you, that smaller maps do offer more of a challenge. But with Military Area's odd encountering, and provisions makes it feel bland for players, and difficult for hales.

I get its more difficult for hales, I'm not disagreeing with that. But its a hugely popular map and even with the increased difficulty hales are still kicking ass

I just don't feel its worth removing the map for those reasons

But that's jsut my two cents on the matter, I can't speak for everyone else

Umity

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
-1 imo its not difficult to win on this map as hale, but that's just me. I've done so with no rage and with plently of health to spare. A different strategy is needed for this map compared to others. You can't just hold m1, rage mindlessly, charge and expect to instantly win. These are the hales that I consistently see get punished on this map. If you want a small containted map where it's nearly impossible to win for many without rage, that would be 2fort_desk.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
-1 imo its not difficult to win on this map as hale, but that's just me. I've done so with no rage and with plently of health to spare. A different strategy is needed for this map compared to others. You can't just hold m1, rage mindlessly, charge and expect to instantly win. These are the hales that I consistently see get punished on this map. If you want a small containted map where it's nearly impossible to win for many without rage, that would be 2fort_desk.
I've seen Hales that play strategically and still take forever to win on this map because of how easy it is to just rocket jump around the map, picking up ammo and health as you go. It's not even close to impossible but it can take forever. Haven't played in a while so I forgot but 2fort_desk is indeed a shitty map. B)

Umity

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
I've seen Hales that play strategically and still take forever to win on this map because of how easy it is to just rocket jump around the map, picking up ammo and health as you go. It's not even close to impossible but it can take forever. Haven't played in a while so I forgot but 2fort_desk is indeed a shitty map. B)

Yes I'll admit I have seen this happen as well on occassions. Many hales though have solved it by just raging the jumpers. Most vsh maps can take forever as well so I don't understand the reason for wanting to remove this map from the rotation.

Reactions: Chance

Terrapieseven

Uncharitable Spy
No hale can win against 7 players or more.
wat
shit, I've never had trouble winning on military

If we're removing maps for it being 'too hard' for hale then you might as well get rid of every map ever. There are no good engie spots (apart fromt the crate but it takes all of 1 second to kill the engies). The sniper spots are god awful and they're insanely easy to kill. If you have trouble with soldiers or pyros jumping around then just rage them, it's what it's there for. The health packs aren't even that good, only things they really help are soldiers and jumping pyros who take them from others.

To be honest it's not really that hard for hales, it just needs you to play a different way. Instead of wm1'ing you have to actually jump around and predict the soldiers/spies

EDIT: forgot to mention this, but as a soldier with less than 5 people left and no engies, you run out of ammo insanely fast if you shoot at hale

Last edited:

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
wat
shit, I've never had trouble winning on military

If we're removing maps for it being 'too hard' for hale then you might as well get rid of every map ever. There are no good engie spots (apart fromt the crate but it takes all of 1 second to kill the engies). The sniper spots are god awful and they're insanely easy to kill. If you have trouble with soldiers or pyros jumping around then just rage them, it's what it's there for. The health packs aren't even that good, only things they really help are soldiers and jumping pyros who take them from others.

To be honest it's not really that hard for hales, it just needs you to play a different way. Instead of wm1'ing you have to actually jump around and predict the soldiers/spies
It's not really hard at all, it can just take a while compared to other maps. *not all*