User

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Contributor
So I was making my map, and then suddenly this random leak occurred and I have know idea what to do that will stop it. I've tried everything and nothing works.

The photo shows how I was putting the origin circle in the middle and still it was saying that the leak was there: https://imgur.com/a/BSQwk

And here is the compile log that I looked for the leak:
** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Users\Home\Desktop\Maps\dr_plasma_001_001_001.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Oct 14 2017)
4 threads
materialPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading C:\Users\Home\Desktop\Maps\dr_plasma_001_001_001.vmf
ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
**** leaked ****
Entity trigger_hurt (3796.00 -1910.00 -194.00) leaked!

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (5228.0 4096.0 -72.0)
Leaf 0 contents:
Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (5740.0 4096.0 -72.0)
Leaf 0 contents:
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (5230.0 4096.0 392.0)
Leaf 0 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (5742.0 4096.0 392.0)
Leaf 0 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (6144.0 3584.0 128.0)
Leaf 0 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (6144.0 2560.0 128.0)
Leaf 0 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4608.0 4096.0 -72.0)
Leaf 0 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4608.0 4096.0 392.0)
Leaf 0 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

*** Suppressing further FindPortalSide errors.... ***
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
Chop Details...done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides...
Merged 4 detail faces...done (0)
Merging details...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (0)
Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_day01_01*.vmt
! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_day01_01*.vmt
! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Finding displacement neighbors...
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Building Physics collision data...
done (0) (158171 bytes)
Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Compacting texture/material tables...
Reduced 687 texinfos to 477
Reduced 15 texdatas to 15 (283 bytes to 283)
Writing C:\Users\Home\Desktop\Maps\dr_plasma_001_001_001.bsp
Wrote ZIP buffer, estimated size 105929, actual size 105715
1 second elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Users\Home\Desktop\Maps\dr_plasma_001_001_001"

vvis launcher error: can't load vvis_dll.dll
The specified procedure could not be found.

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters: -both -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Users\Home\Desktop\Maps\dr_plasma_001_001_001"

vrad_launcher error: can't load vrad_dll.dll
The specified procedure could not be found.

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Users\Home\Desktop\Maps\dr_plasma_001_001_001.bsp" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\dr_plasma_001_001_001.bsp"

Also, when I remove the entity, the leak goes to another random entity that has no problem whatsoever. I'm thinking that if I delete the entity, the leak will just go to entity to entity and then the whole map will have no entities. Notice that this leak happened after the update was released, so it might be related to that.

Pedro the fabulous

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
Master Mapper
Hard to tell from just a picture. Try loading the pointfile created from compiling the map with a leak -- this will create a red line originating from the nearest entity to the leak, and the line will use whatever gap exists and go into the void. Here's more.

This command is in the Map tab, on the top left.

User

Contributor
Hard to tell from just a picture. Try loading the pointfile created from compiling the map with a leak -- this will create a red line originating from the nearest entity to the leak, and the line will use whatever gap exists and go into the void. Here's more.

This command is in the Map tab, on the top left.
oh yeah I forgot to say about how the pointfile points at nothing for some reason

Pedro the fabulous

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
Master Mapper
for some reason when I see it it's just coming from the entity and goes out into the void for no reason
Is the wall it goes through a func_detail or some other entity? Are you sure there isn't a 1 unit (or less if not snapped to grid) gap? Try rebuilding the wall. I can also check out the VMF for you and see if I find the problem.

User

Contributor
Is the wall it goes through a func_detail or some other entity? Are you sure there isn't a 1 unit (or less if not snapped to grid) gap? Try rebuilding the wall. I can also check out the VMF for you and see if I find the problem.
I'll see if I can give you the map tomorrow

User

Contributor
Okay so I've made a copy for my map, but I don't know where to put it for you to download it and see for yourself.

User

Contributor

Pedro the fabulous

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
Master Mapper
So what you're saying is I shouldn't make the floor a func_detail but a func_brush?
You shouldn't make it anything, just make it a normal world brush. Absolutely no entity seals the map, not func_detail, not func_brush, not func_wall, nothing. Only normal brushes (those that aren't any entity) will stop leaks from happening.
Func_details are used to cut up on the amount of visleaves the map has after compiling (reducing map size a bit but mostly making compile times take way less). Func_brushes do the same job, but they can also dissapear, be made solid or not solid, or parented to some other moving entity, all through I/O command. Func_details are more efficient at visibility optimization.

You can read more about optimizing visibility (giving your map more fps and avoiding leaks) on these links, the first being most important:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Visibility_optimization
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Visleaf
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Func_detail
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Leak
( https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Func_brush )

Last edited:
Reactions: User

User

Contributor
You shouldn't make it anything, just make it a normal world brush. Absolutely no entity seals the map, not func_detail, not func_brush, not func_wall, nothing. Only normal brushes (those that aren't any entity) will stop leaks from happening.
Func_details are used to cut up on the amount of visleaves the map has after compiling (reducing map size a bit but mostly making compile times take way less). Func_brushes do the same job, but they can also dissapear, be made solid or not solid, or parented to some other moving entity, all through I/O command. Func_details are more efficient at visibility optimization.

You can read more about optimizing visibility (giving your map more fps and avoiding leaks) on these links, the first being most important:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Visibility_optimization
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Visleaf
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Func_detail
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Leak
( https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Func_brush )
Okay thanks for helping me with this, I never knew about the brushes until now. You can lock this thread since the problem is fixed.