• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

RE: insisting you not cap/purposely avoiding it, and raging when you kill someone playing friendly

• It's allowed, but frowned on.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ugh. Go away, sweaty tryhard.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WraithTDK

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I'm evaluating servers, looking for some new places to call home/donate/participate in. Basically, all I'm looking for is a place to play the actual game without dealing with the type of things online games get stereotyped for. I already see that Skial has rules against harassment, racism, homophobia, cheating and mic-spamming. Excellent. The other question is about the less common issues that I'm still frustrated about:

1. Playing the objectives. I want to actually play the game. I want to try to help my team win the game. And it drives me a little nuts when I'm trying to cap the objective, and someone's screaming "NO! DON'T CAP YOU STUPID TRYHARD!" And then realize that a quarter of my team isn't trying to win, making the likelihood of doing so very low. I just want to play the game.

Are there rules regarding this? And if not, what's the general community consensus? Is there a lot of this on Skial servers?

2. People getting upset because I killed them while they were "friendly." This is, of course, totally fine if you're on a trade server, or an idle server or a goof-off server or whatever. But I'm looking for active servers where everyone's looking to actually play, and actually expect that if I'm on the other team, I'm going to be gunning for them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm sick of being called a tryhard for wanting to actually play the game. "Tryhard" is quite possibly the single dumbest "insult" I've ever heard. I am a tryhard. I'm not good enough to go pro yet, and I know it. But the only way you get better at something is you try. Hard. You practice. You play. You play as much as you can, you watch people who are better than you, and you keep going until you get better. So yea, that's me. So what? I see no reason to be ashamed of that, or to have to take crap from others about it.

Kyle

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'm evaluating servers, looking for some new places to call home/donate/participate in. Basically, all I'm looking for is a place to play the actual game without dealing with the type of things online games get stereotyped for. I already see that Skial has rules against harassment, racism, homophobia, cheating and mic-spamming. Excellent. The other question is about the less common issues that I'm still frustrated about:

1. Playing the objectives. I want to actually play the game. I want to try to help my team win the game. And it drives me a little nuts when I'm trying to cap the objective, and someone's screaming "NO! DON'T CAP YOU STUPID TRYHARD!" And then realize that a quarter of my team isn't trying to win, making the likelihood of doing so very low. I just want to play the game.

Are there rules regarding this? And if not, what's the general community consensus? Is there a lot of this on Skial servers?

2. People getting upset because I killed them while they were "friendly." This is, of course, totally fine if you're on a trade server, or an idle server or a goof-off server or whatever. But I'm looking for active servers where everyone's looking to actually play, and actually expect that if I'm on the other team, I'm going to be gunning for them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm sick of being called a tryhard for wanting to actually play the game. "Tryhard" is quite possibly the single dumbest "insult" I've ever heard. I am a tryhard. I'm not good enough to go pro yet, and I know it. But the only way you get better at something is you try. Hard. You practice. You play. You play as much as you can, you watch people who are better than you, and you keep going until you get better. So yea, that's me. So what? I see no reason to be ashamed of that, or to have to take crap from others about it.
Capping isn't against the rules and people who call votes to stop people from playing the objective is considered vote abuse which is against the rules. People who friendlying are griefing which is also against the rules and should be reported for this behavior for more info on this go here: https://www.skial.com/threads/server-rules.136/

Blade D_Hero

Contributor

As Kyle said, if people are not playing the objective that is called friendlying and we can and will ban for it if someone is purposely impeding their team. Also, if they call a vote on you, that's also punishable by a silence because we encourage actually playing the game and the objective.

As I said above, no one (other than the friendlies who are already skating on thin ice) will get upset with you when you kill them. I hope we answered your questions well enough and look forward to seeing you in game.

Tayto

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor

What serves does this typically happen on?

WraithTDK

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Well hot damn. I've put posed this question verbatim on half a dozen communities. This is by far the most promising response. Definitely going to be seeing me around Skial.

What serves does this typically happen on?

Valve servers. Silly me, I figured official servers = most standard, mainstream servers = most standard, mainstream game play.

Instead I get loud, squeeky-voiced kids screaming "FING TRYHARD at me because I capped on hightower, and the damn near impossible challenge of recovering the intel because a quarter of my team is either dancing or angry with me because I killed a hoovy.

I just want to play the game!

T-Wayne

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
In what you wrote you have done nothing wrong. Killing people and capture the intelligence is the purpose of this game.
Usually it is the regulars that know each other that are commonly joking friendly with each other and trying to shittalk new people like you because you interupt their fun. But in reality it is them that are interupting gameplay. There are rules for this, they were mentioned above. You would do good to report them so we can have people that actually try to play the game instead of being a burden to the team.
Thank you for considering Skial.