Reedgreat

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Sometimes, I see people abusing the vote menu. Quite frequently, they will get gagged for extended periods of time (based on the more crimes = longer punishment idea). But at the same time, I will see someone come onto a server and start make some extremely disgusting racist comments, and they will only get gagged for a day. While I am not disagreeing with how punishments are handled on skial (because it is very effective), I am just wondering why admins don't just skip 1 day 3 day 1 week etc..., and permanently punish people for extremely serious offenses (even if it is their first or second offense only).

DaivdBaekr

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I am just wondering why admins don't just skip 1 day 3 day 1 week etc..., and permanently punish people for extremely serious offenses (even if it is their first or second offense only).
They do.

Hacking
Advertising hacks
Illegal sprays
Posting private info
Attacks or threats to attack servers/staff

Reedgreat

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Yah, but I was wondering why it doesn't extend to racism, sexism, and other offenses you can consider serious.

DaivdBaekr

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
The admin info thread does say admins can increase ban lengths based on seriousness. I can't remember the last time someone actually did it, though. Admins do get accused of being arbitrary very often as it is. That's my reason for not doing it.

Reedgreat

Gore-Spattered Heavy
The admin info thread does say admins can increase ban lengths based on seriousness. I can't remember the last time someone actually did it, though. Admins do get accused of being arbitrary very often as it is. That's my reason for not doing it.

That is definitely a valid reason for not doing it. I can see why it easier to just do the standard time bans, and you can't be accused of abusing if you do it based on the rules. It is just easier to consistently re-punish people who keep breaking the rules. Thank you for answering my question. Do you think the easiest solution to this predicament of admins being accused of arbitrary would be to extend the punishment section of the rules to be more specific for circumstances where longer punishments would be necessary?

DaivdBaekr

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
That is definitely a valid reason for not doing it. I can see why it easier to just do the standard time bans, and you can't be accused of abusing if you do it based on the rules. It is just easier to consistently re-punish people who keep breaking the rules. Thank you for answering my question. Do you think the easiest solution to this predicament of admins being accused of arbitrary would be to extend the punishment section of the rules to be more specific for circumstances where longer punishments would be necessary?
The rules are best left short, and I don't think it is a problem that needs to be fixed. If you want to make a suggestion thread saying admins should do things like silence people longer for saying "nigger" over "nigga" you can. I don't think people are too opinionated about handling petty stuff like that differently.

Reedgreat

Gore-Spattered Heavy
The rules are best left short, and I don't think it is a problem that needs to be fixed. If you want to make a suggestion thread saying admins should do things like silence people longer for saying "nigger" over "nigga" you can. I don't think people are too opinionated about handling petty stuff like that differently.

Thank you for your quick replies, a credit to the dedication of you and the other admins to skial.