Turovik

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Contributor
Great mod, great game. There are a few problems though.

First, the lag. I think maybe the server isn't capable of handling the amount of people playing. It's fine when it's not full.

Second, the Bison griefing. For those not familiar with this server, at the beginning of the round each team builds a fort. There is a protective barrier in the middle to let teams build in peace. The problem is the Bison is able to shoot through the protective barrier and the forts. (griefing) Votekick hardly ever works since the % of yes votes needed is really high. There isn't usually any admins playing here either, and I don't like pming admins while they're playing just to deal with idiots using the bison.

I think there is a newer version of fortwars which automatically removes the bison, and also adds some nice props (wooden wall) and fixes some bugs. (it may not be a newer version that removes the bison, it may just be a server setting)

Bottiger

Administrator
As I've said before the server can handle 32 people easily. It is more likely a problem on your end or a DDoS attack. CPU usage is currently only 60% out of 8 cores.

Fortwars has not updated since summer.

MAL

Mildly Menacing Medic
How come there's no wooden walls which I've seen on other fort wars servers? They also had bison not load which removed the whole exploit thing. Is that bison setting server side or part of the plugin?

The server about 15 minutes ago was almost unusable. For everyone playing.. someone is DDoS your server?

Reference : http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=1441279

The wall appears to be a plugin for the mod. 13 "[FWP] Support Wall" (1.0) by Matheus28.

Speeds up building like crazy since you don't necessarily have to stack cement blocks. I vote + 1 for the plugin.

See the first post in this thread : https://forums.alliedmods.net/archive/index.php/t-142208.html , it's an older post so I'm not sure if it applies but it seems the plugins come with the mod and are enabled by default?

Marc

Turovik

Contributor
I'd be really happy if the bison was just removed from the server. lol

Bottiger

Administrator
It is already installed.

09 "[FWP] Support Wall" (1.0) by Matheus28

I don't know how to just disable the bison.

Turovik

Contributor
The server is lagging pretty bad right now if you want to hop on and see? Or maybe see the server numbers to see if there's an anomaly?

Meiru

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Pool makes lag even worse for some reason. FW needs to be updated, then I might play on it again.

MAL

Mildly Menacing Medic
I found this http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=94900 for the disable weapon thing.. It's old however so I'm not sure if you really want to try it.
Another option, I'm not sure how the config files are set up on a TF2 server but if it's this easy, it would be awesome. http://www.iugaming.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3536

I can keep poking around if the 2nd one doesn't work but it seems like the easiest.

The support walls aren't coming up in the prop list. I downloaded the fortwars mod and it seems like as long as it's in the addons\sourcemod\plugins folder then it "should" be enabled (fwp_supportwall.smx)? I didn't notice an obvious config file to turn it on other then the fact that there's a disabled plugins folder.. which I assume disables the plugins..

Edit : 2 forums threads about server lag. No fixes though.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1177892&mpage=1
http://www.xxlgamers.net/forums/sho...issue-on-tf2-servers-most-seem-to-be-affected

FYI, I noticed the lag on Fortwars and Trading servers. Not sure if they're hosted on the same box. It's intermittent though, some nights it works perfectly fine.

(cYs) Del Piero

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
[quote="MAL, post: 55584, member: 2173"

FYI, I noticed the lag on Fortwars and Trading servers. Not sure if they're hosted on the same box. It's intermittent though, some nights it works perfectly fine.[/quote]
I never noticed any lag on the Trade Servers. Even not on the US Trade servers where my ping is higher than on the European one.

MAL

Mildly Menacing Medic
currently on fortwar 40-50 ping, and if I stare at a wall while moving I get 100fps and it still stutters while moving.

Edit : of course by the time anyone goes it'll have stopped momentarily :\.. I've asked others in the game to post on the forums but some are randoms.

MAL

Mildly Menacing Medic
No lag so far but it's not the same map.. either way so far so good.. thanks for looking into it.

(Edit: Another forum post about lag, recommendation is to reboot after 1000 connections or daily.. just for reference (may not be related in this case) http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=169258&page=2 )

Any ideas for the support wall plugin? It's in the folder? or the bison issue (is that config file there)?

MAL

Mildly Menacing Medic
I know you're busy but just wondering if at some point you could look into this (Support wall and Bison).

- From other forum posts the support wall could be as simple as just re-downloading the updated fortwars file and copying the plugin file (fwp_supportwall.sm) into the addons\sourcemod\plugins folder, restarting and voila.

Download link is here (main page) or direct link here.

- Bison I believe this here would take care of it. If that file exists in the first place and contains an entry for bison it could be marking it 0 or removing the line for bison completely.

Look in /tf/ root on server find file "item_whitelist_example.txt" which should be there. Change the name to "item_whitelist.txt" and keep it in the same spot, change any item that you want not allowed from "1" to "0".

- Lag issue seems to be gone since the last reboot.

Thanks!
Marc

Reactions: Turovik

MAL

Mildly Menacing Medic
Is there any interest from the community in adding the support wall and/or removing bison?

Now that there's the new weapons I believe there's some other ones that go straight through props. Since not many (if any) admins play on this server it takes a while to get one in and it sucks having to bother them since they have to join and wait for the person to do it again.

Marc

Bottiger

Administrator
I've already said the support wall plugin was always installed. I don't see any options to enable it so I am assuming it is already enabled.

MAL

Mildly Menacing Medic
It's not though.. it isn't listed in one of the props. I've tried another fortwars server and they had it listed. Which is why I was wondering if just recopying the file from the latest package might fix it. Even though it's been 6.4 since this summer he might have updated the plugin file due to a glitch.. just guessing.

Bottiger

Administrator
The plugin on the server is dated 1 month after the plugin on the website. I uploaded it anyway and tried to reload it and the server crashed.

Staying_Classy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Alright, I was too lazy to read any of this, but just in case this has not been brought up:
PLEASE DISABLE THE RIGHTEOUS BISON, THE MANMELTER AND THE NEW ENGI SHOTGUN.
They are capable of shooting through not only the glass at startup, but any prop as well. I'm just tired of getting called to Fortwars once a week to deal with some complacent idiot. It can't be that difficult to disable weapons, right? We did it with the cow mangler back when it crashed servers.