BurritoBazooka

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Hi,

Skial's servers have been getting a lot of hackers lately. I encounter one on about a half to two thirds of the days that I play. I'm sure it has also shown up in Skial's statistics about users who start votebans, that it is higher now than it was a few months ago.

I suggest making it easier for players on Skial servers to play a fair game, by making it easier for them to remove hackers. Currently 90% of players have to vote yes for a voteban to go through. I also gather that players who do not vote are implied to have voted no. So if a server has 16 players, that's 15 players (well, 14.4) that need to vote yes.

I propose a more reasonable system, such as a 75% threshold in all situations, or 60% - 75% when the server is emptier and 90% when it is more full.

Thanks for hosting the only large remaining collection of diverse European TF2 community servers.

ly_dee

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Starting a vote to ban someone for hacking is useless because 1) it never passes most of the time and 2) they can wait out the 30 mins and come back to hack again.
You can use the !report system but the best thing to do against hackers is to record a demo and report them on the forums or contact an admin directly.

Last edited:

BurritoBazooka

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Yeah, I am suggesting to change that system so it isn't that useless.

Some other servers I used to play on had a system where the voteban was permanent (or for many hours at least) and could be appealed.

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
I don't think a voteban that permenantly bans players would be a good idea.

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
I would ask you to justify but it is obvious to me why: it's too easy to abuse. But that isn't what I am suggesting specifically, it was just an example.

This is the problem no matter how you make the vote system. there will always be that time when a bunch of people abuse the system to give an unfair punishment, like ly_dee suggested it would be better to use the report system with a demo of the hacker. If they were hacking then they will get a permanent ban.

BurritoBazooka

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Then they make another free account and come back later, which means it takes another 15-30 minutes for an admin to review the ban and ban them.

The bureaucracy becomes a hindrance to fair gameplay.

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
Then they make another free account and come back later, which means it takes another 15 minutes for an admin to review the ban and ban them.

Would you rather people were getting banned and muted for no reason more often?

BurritoBazooka

Scarcely Lethal Noob
75% seems like a reasonable threshold for that to happen not that often. 90%, as shown in the given example, is unreasonable edit and makes the system basically ineffective./edit

edit: If it takes 15 minutes to review a ban, it should take about the same time to review an appeal.

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
You'll be surprised, it used to be lower but it was increased because of the amount of abuse.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
It's a sticky situation because even with a high vote threshold there's still innocent people getting successfully votebanned

҉ SP∑∑DY ҉

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
I kinda thought of the voteban as a deterrent to scare a hacker away since they rarely go through. Usually they leave after a wave of "yes" fills the chat.

DaivdBaekr

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
it's already annoying enough when 5-10% of hacking reports end up wasting everyone's time because the server decided to immediately voteban the hacker while an admin was on the way

Bottiger

Administrator
It was 75% before, it was increased due to abuse.

Then they make another free account and come back later, which means it takes another 15-30 minutes for an admin to review the ban and ban them.

We have ip bans and tools to deal with the ones that keep switching ips. All the hackers that have tried to do this have given up so far.