meem*

Unremarkable User
Could we please have a ping limit on servers, its very annoying to fight players when they can hit you from 7ft away. Perhaps the limit can be like 100 or 200 ping?

ArayhMD

TF2 Admin
Contributor
I don't think that's very possible when people connect from all over the world, unless they're connecting from close to the server but using a lag switch to exploit I guess.

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
It is possible to kick people for having high ping but that would greatly affect Skial's player count and I don't think Bottiger would want to do that.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
+1

I don't think it would impact the player count that much, it's a very small amount of people.
Used to be part of a community that would kick once someone had been at 300+ for over a minute.

It stops annoying rubber banding and other issues that impact players trying to fight them.

Doom4life

Wicked Nasty Engineer
-1. Anything that affects the player count should not happen. While it's been a while since I've played on Skial's servers, if NA servers of a particular map ilare dead, I would consider playing on a Euro server. Put in ping limits means I would be forced elsewhere.

the beet

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Big -1 from me.
This hurts loyal players from Asia like me (160 to 250 ping on your servers). Asia community servers are often dead, so I have no choice but to go to skial.

I mean, what is able to distinguish between a lag-switcher or a legit player from Asia/Australia/Africa? You might get an innocent sniper failing to get headshots due to the high ping, and the polar opposite being a spy using lag switch to get cheap facestabs.

the beet

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
And luke, a "small amount" of people would still be very much. What if you banned 20% of your entire playerbase? It would be easier to just report obvious lagswitchers that are connecting from the US but have over 300+ ping.

Imagine banning everyone from India from joining Skial, because they have "high ping" and "don't have toilet". It's pretty much RACISM. They would be CUT OUT of the fun they deserved. You guys don't even tolerate that on your own server, so if you actually implemented this, Luke, you would be pretty much out of the team and maybe even potentially banned from Skial. Just a heads up from me.
+1

I don't think it would impact the player count that much, it's a very small amount of people.
Used to be part of a community that would kick once someone had been at 300+ for over a minute.

It stops annoying rubber banding and other issues that impact players trying to fight them.

Last edited:

Blade D_Hero

Contributor

My internet sometimes shits itself and my ping spikes to like 800+, but it recovers in like a minute or two. I'm sure this is a problem that happens regularly in regions where internet is less stable so we shouldn't punish them based on where they live.

Bottiger

Administrator
We have sv_client_max_interp_ratio 2 which limits the amount of lag compensation possible.

It is also way easier for you to kill these people than it is for them to kill you. They run in straight lines or stand still for long periods of time.