Reporter

Administrator
Overwatch sucks on your own
I know it's been a while since Overwatch got off of its last beta, so it's kinda weird posting this now, but I think it really needs to be said again (I know it's been said before, but I want to give my two cents). Something about the atmosphere of Overwatch screams team balance, and the importance of everyone covering each other's asses in a rock paper scissors game like Overwatch where something like a small buff to Zenyatta can shove Genji into the top ranks of competitive. But the players shout back "I wanna play Reaper/Tracer/Genji/Hanzo/Widowmaker", who all, individually, contribute immensely to a team, but a team that has 3 or more of these characters will always lose. ALWAYS. Because it ends up being a Mercy/Phara combo or some shit attempting horribly to 2v6 the other team. But the real clincher is the fact that almost no one character swaps. Because even though scissors always loses to rock, "I main Genji". And I think it's that vital mechanic that really kills the solo play in this game. And there are many reasons for this. The first of which I'd like to point out is team size.

The team size in this game is never going to change. Just, period. End of sentence. Just imagine a 16v16 fight at the opening gate of R66... *shudders* But the lack of numbers really bites down on a teams flexibility to choose different characters. Because there's a procedure, and even the hero choice screen at the beginning of the match shows this. 1.) Do we have a healer? 2.) Do we have a tank? 3.) Do we have some decent long range support? 4.) Etc, etc... And by that time you really only have one, MAYBE two spots left open for change. And while, sure, your tank can go from Reinhardt to Roadhog, your Mercy/Lucio should NEVER go Tracer. In a game with larger team pools, having a few people with a more objective based mindset is not only more likely, but gives those players who enjoy Tracer/Reaper opportunity to run forward and distract and do chip damage/get pick kills on supports to support the team effort as objective players hold points/push forward. And I think, while impossible to change, in a 90's inspired shooter, cutting the max team size in half (and perhaps really in to a sixth) really kills some of the fun of the game.

Another thing I'd like to point out, and a lot of people will most likely give me MAJOR shit for making this point, but I'm going to do it anyways, is the 'random match only' mechanic. Something that I think Team Fortress and Team Fortress 2 really got right is their server mechanic. And I think it's fair to make this point, because Valve has been making online shooters for two decades + now, and Blizzards been doing it for less than a fraction of that. The reason I always return to TF2 after a long break of playing another game, or the reason I've logged 2000+ hours into TF2 isn't because I enjoy my pocket demo running straight into the line of fire and killing us both, it's because when I log into that cancer Skial server, I know I'll be playing with my friends. And it doesn't require some bullshit 'freinding' mechanic, because chances are your new acquaintance will log out and you'll never see them again. But in TF2, assuming you both get on at roughly similar times, you're guaranteed to run into them again. And that second or third time meeting a person is really what those friendships and 'acquaintanceships' are really reliant upon. And I think that also contributes to how well a team works together. Your buddy will be FAR more inclined to switch from Phara if you already have one, and a team with 3 friends is far more likely to play as a team and win while having fun as opposed to a team of 6 strangers who are all "really good at fragging". And a server wouldn't require your IRL friends to always be on for you to have fun, as acquaintances can flow in and out of the server as they wish regularly.

This horse may have already been beaten into a fine pulp, but I'm not sure, so I wanted to share my thoughts. And I'm really not trying to shit on the people who really enjoy and are good at 1v6ing a team as reaper, but 99.9% of people can't. While I know these things won't change, I really just wanted to justify why I think the game sucks on your own and why I think that is. I only do this because I love the shit out of this game, and only want it to get better.

ᴾᶫᵉᵃˢᵉ ᵈᵒᶰ'ᵗ ˢʰᶦᵗ ᵒᶰ ᵐʸ ᵐᵉᵐᵉˢ⋅ ᴵ ᶜᵃᶰ'ᵗ ʳᵉᵖᵉᶫ ᵃ ˢʰᶦᵗˢᵗᵒʳᵐ ᵒᶠ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵐᵃᵍᶰᶦᵗᵘᵈᵉ﹗

Author: Ublenos

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4jcca5/overwatch_sucks_on_your_own/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4jcca5/overwatch_sucks_on_your_own/?ref=search_posts