Praetorian

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor
Hi. I did investigate our forums about the above. This just started to happen to me twice this past week during gameplay and of course a popup msg appeared. I did do a test on my desktop and the resutlts came back indicating no issue.

I came across this thread in response to the above, but it seems there isn't resolution. I gather this is problem is Valve related? What are your thoughts/remedies to this matter?

Thanks in advance.

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Hi. I did investigate our forums about the above. This just started to happen to me twice this past week during gameplay and of course a popup msg appeared. I did do a test on my desktop and the resutlts came back indicating no issue.

I came across this thread in response to the above, but it seems there isn't resolution. I gather this is problem is Valve related? What are your thoughts/remedies to this matter?

Thanks in advance.

I used to get that a lot. You have to lower your graphics settings in-game.

DanishSoup

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Contributor
Hmm, I'm not sure on the exact issue that could be causing the problem. The obvious answer would be to lower your graphics. In my case years ago, I would get this error all the time on FF2 no matter what OS I used. One way I fixed it is by deleting sound.cache both in my /tf/downloads/sound and /tf/sound folder. That's all the info I know, best of luck to ya.

worMatty

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Mapper
As I understand it this error message is used for a few things so it's commonly misleading. As DanishSoup has said, one of the possible solutions is to delete all your sound.cache files from your installation. Go to your TF2 dir in File Explorer and search for sound.cache, then select them all and hit Delete.

FYI: When you play a map that has its own custom sounds for the first time, the game generates cache for them. This is a file containing 0.15 seconds of each custom sound, which is used as a buffer so you don't get a delay when the game loads the sound to play it. Unfortunately if a map author releases a new version of their map, with the same set of sound files but they have changed them in some way (e.g. compressed them), the game will still use the old cache, and that will result in either silence instead of the sound playing, or static, or apparently your game crashing.

So to any mappers reading this: If you change any sound files in updated versions of any maps you've made, rename them or put them in a different folder.

Praetorian

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor
As I understand it this error message is used for a few things so it's commonly misleading. As DanishSoup has said, one of the possible solutions is to delete all your sound.cache files from your installation. Go to your TF2 dir in File Explorer and search for sound.cache, then select them all and hit Delete.

FYI: When you play a map that has its own custom sounds for the first time, the game generates cache for them. This is a file containing 0.15 seconds of each custom sound, which is used as a buffer so you don't get a delay when the game loads the sound to play it. Unfortunately if a map author releases a new version of their map, with the same set of sound files but they have changed them in some way (e.g. compressed them), the game will still use the old cache, and that will result in either silence instead of the sound playing, or static, or apparently your game crashing.

So to any mappers reading this: If you change any sound files in updated versions of any maps you've made, rename them or put them in a different folder.
Thanks for the info. Cleaned up my issue and its working fine now. 👍