KOS-MOS

Uncharitable Spy
you'd have to use 2002:43CA:4741:: instead
or 2002:43CA:4741:0:0:0:0:0

it's using hexadecimal instead of binary.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
DNS will still work so it doesn't matter. The new IPv6 records are supported on a lot of registrars (called "AAAA records") Everything's going to be running IPv4 and IPv6 for a while. Backbone stuff is already running on IPv6 anyways.

JarlyX

Epic Skial Regular
What is the direct improvement from IPv4 to IPv6 (if there is any) expect for maybe security?

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
we already ran out of ipv4 addresses.... i think it happened sometime last year
We didn't run out yet. A lot of places have given back chunks. It will probably be another year or so. We ran out of IPv4 addresses to assign to the regional NOCs, but they aren't in use by anything yet. Also, regarding your subnet comment. one of the good things about IPv6 is that we WONT NEED TO SUBNET. It'll be a thing of the past once everything is on IPv6.

joemaster725

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Contributor
We didn't run out yet. A lot of places have given back chunks. It will probably be another year or so. We ran out of IPv4 addresses to assign to the regional NOCs, but they aren't in use by anything yet. Also, regarding your subnet comment. one of the good things about IPv6 is that we WONT NEED TO SUBNET. It'll be a thing of the past once everything is on IPv6.

that is kind of what i meant when i said we ran out. and eventually ipv6 will be like ipv4 and will need to be subneted. it can be subneted.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
that is kind of what i meant when i said we ran out. and eventually ipv6 will be like ipv4 and will need to be subneted. it can be subneted.
There's no reason to. With the current amount of address space in IPv6, each person has access to 48 octillion (or 48 billion billion billion) addresses to themselves. Unless they start making devices the size of a few atoms, I don't think it's possible to make that many things with IP addresses.

joemaster725

Contributor
There's no reason to. With the current amount of address space in IPv6, each person has access to 48 octillion (or 48 billion billion billion) addresses to themselves. Unless they start making devices the size of a few atoms, I don't think it's possible to make that many things with IP addresses.

Meh, that is true, but don't rule out anything. This is the internet after all!

Steak

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
all i know is ipv6 is going to be a pain to subnet!
lol you wont need to sub-net with ipv6 as the number of available address will be something like 3,400,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 individual addresses something down to a point where they could address like square foot blocks on the planet with they're own ip address. sub-netting ipv6 will effectively become useless...... how ever the states is (one of the/if not the only) country that has yet to transition to ipv6 because we're to busy attempting to save the sinking ship that is ipv4..... the only sad thing about ipv6 will be one further step to loss of anonymity due to them effectively/possibly being able to assign one ip to machines as they do nowadays with a simple MAC address ( which can and still easily faked to hide the true machine issuing the requests)

Reactions: joemaster725

joemaster725

Contributor
lol you wont need to sub-net with ipv6 as the number of available address will be something like 3,400,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 individual addresses something down to a point where they could address like square foot blocks on the planet with they're own ip address. sub-netting ipv6 will effectively become useless...... how ever the states is (one of the/if not the only) country that has yet to transition to ipv6 because we're to busy attempting to save the sinking ship that is ipv4..... the only sad thing about ipv6 will be one further step to loss of anonymity due to them effectively/possibly being able to assign one ip to machines as they do nowadays with a simple MAC address ( which can and still easily faked to hide the true machine issuing the requests)
As i said above:
This is the internet after all!

Steak

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
i doubt the planet would still be alive by the time we run out of ip addresses