Bottiger

Administrator
I wasn't going to bother writing this, but since @Obruhma made a thread about it, I thought I'd make a more formal thread with an in-depth explanation to whatever fans we have left so people know that this decision wasn't just made on a whim.

There are many reasons why we've decided to shut down the Rust servers and will probably not return.

1. Flawed game design encourages people to leave the server

The way the game is played is that multiple groups join a server at the start of wipe with the intention to dominate the server. A single winner emerges which means everyone else gives up and finds another server to start on. Once everyone else leaves, the group that dominated the server gets bored and leaves themselves.

This happens to every server except ones that are 9 years old, run by youtubers, or given official status by Facepunch. Having blueprints off or not having a blueprint wipe doesn't seem to change this behavior.

2. Flawed game design highly favors people with no life

In order to win, you must monitor your base 24 hours a day in case someone decides to attack it. Someone can wake up at 4 am and attack your base while you are sleeping and not able to defend it. Plugins that defend your base while you are offline seem to be unpopular. This is likely why the game has very high player counts but probably few unique players.

3. Rampant cheating and poor tools from the game to deal with it

Cheating is a very bad problem in Rust, more so than in any other game. In Rust, if someone is cheating they can singlehandedly ruin 10 hours of progress per legitimate player they kill. We found multiple cheaters on our servers every week.

Despite how bad cheating is for the game, Facepunch has done little to combat it. It was only a few months ago that they made spectate mode able to see where the player was aiming which meant it was pretty much impossible to tell any but the most blatant of aimbots.

Even after this feature was added, it is still a giant hassle to monitor someone since 80% of the time is spent crafting or running from place to place. This means there are few people willing to admin, and of those that do, many only became admin so they can use admin tools to cheat by spawning items or scouting bases.

4. Facepunch grants a few communities a monopoly on the vanilla game mode

Like TF2, Rust splits servers into "official" and "community". However unlike TF2, most of these servers are run by a 3rd party that Facepunch has selected through favoritism such as being around since beta. There is no way for any new community to apply for this status.

Why is this a problem you might ask?

Just like TF2, a server being categorized as "official" gets 10x the number of players. However there is even more to it than that. There is a flaw with the Steam server listing code that it only returns 5000 ips deemed closest to you through a geolocation database. Rust has over 20,000 servers (probably even more now) so your server will only be seen by a small fraction of total players... unless you are an "official" server which is grabbed from Facepunch instead of Steam.

Because "official" servers get so many more players than "community" ones, this is really the only way to sustain the server without selling pay2win kits. They are the only servers that get enough players to sell queue skips as people would not pay for a queue skip if the server never becomes full.

We did not want to sell pay2win kits to maintain the server.

5. Facepunch ignored the server listing issues after I told them and messaged them a fix for over 2 years.

Only when I had a fix for an unrelated bug they were interested in, did I get a response

As mentioned in #4, I discovered long ago that there were major problems with the server listing in the game.

We first had a server in Europe, and only people in the US could see the server because the geolocation database said our IP was in the US. This means nobody joined the server because the only people who could see the server had bad ping. We had to message the owner of the database to get it updated, then we had to message Valve to update the database. This took 2 months to get fixed.

Shortly later on, the number of Rust servers surged above 10000 (Steam only sends the 5000 closest to you). This means that players even in the same region stopped being able to see our server. There is no way to fix this.

I sent a message to someone at Facepunch with my findings along with a fix around 2019-2020. He acknowledged my message but 3 years later, this issue has gone unresolved and makes it a daunting task for any community that isn't 9 years old to establish a player base in Rust.

Only when word got out that we had a fix for a crash that was plaguing every Rust server did he respond to me, and made no mention of the server listing issue.

----

There are too many fundamental issues with the game that will probably never be fixed.

Thank you to all the admins and players that stuck with us.

Last edited:

doxed

Mildly Menacing Medic
I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post here but if not, feel free to delete.

Rust used to be one of my favorite games. Facepunch ruined it patch after patch. Never fixing underlying gameplay issues, but instead turning it into a glorified Home Alone simulator with base defense. Almost no one roams, no one online raids, and bases are 90% of the flavor of the week base meta. Just finally addressed PvP gameplay about a 3+ years too late.

It’s a cash grab for them now. They can add skin drops for an OTV event, and the game shoots to top 3 on Steam. As bad as the XP days were, I still think it was in a better place than it is now. Some of the most fun I had was defending against a raid regardless if we were successful or not. Now they just check BattleMetrics to see if you and your group are online to raid you.

Did they ever address the blatant cheating on officials? It also took them almost the entire life of the game to finally disable family sharing. Never mind them finally fixing their VOIP so it doesn’t leak your actual IP address.

Reactions: MarshHag

Bottiger

Administrator
I do not know because what goes on at official servers, it doesn't concern us. But I doubt they did anything about it. There are so many people queueing up to play on official servers that even if there are cheaters making people leave, there are 10 others ready to join.

The impact of their skin drops are also wearing off as people realize how flawed the game is, though It still seems to have 80k concurrent players which would be considered a success for any "indie" studio.

But it is certainly not a game I would host or play myself anymore. The game feels fundamentally flawed to me and Facepunch pretends to be an indie studio but they seem to have the same attitude as a faceless triple A studio now given how they ignore issues that harm the vast majority of servers.

Wade Skinner

Scarcely Lethal Noob
while i do agree with a few of your points here, to talk like Facepunch are an evil bunch that dont fix issues is a bit far fetched, i know this will be deleted but as a server owner (even though its low pop) when i played on your server Skial 10x you had so many things going on that make people leave, asking for admins that have 30 hours on the server was an insane idea, i honestly dont know what you were thinking there, any player with decent skills,hours, or connections to clans is gonna pick up on that and not trust the server, having Admins playing on the server is THE BIGGEST NO NO you could ever do. its why a lot of us left, waking up to an offline raid with an admins name on my death screen is straight up stupid, u should of stamped that out straight away, ur custom ban system that banned me was not a great move (u unbanned me when u seen what happend), 5 man max on a 10x bi-weekly? ok thats fair enough its ur server but 3 should of been the number or no limit at all. yes like you said there is a bit of stuff that happened a while back that made it hard to be seen and that sucked, that killed me also but what 100% also killed me was allowing admins to play (this was 12+ months ago), now even though it was a 10x the furnaces were 100x after u add up all the multipliers, i did really enjoy my time on your servers but i couldn't hang around on a server where admins were playing hentaiperhaps was one for example chasing us in vanish shooting in no clip interfering with our game majorly like this. Anyway just thought id put in my two cents as u have really talked down on a very well made company that has make leaps and strides in this gaming industry, good luck with all your other ventures

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
while i do agree with a few of your points here, to talk like Facepunch are an evil bunch that dont fix issues is a bit far fetched, i know this will be deleted but as a server owner (even though its low pop) when i played on your server Skial 10x you had so many things going on that make people leave, asking for admins that have 30 hours on the server was an insane idea, i honestly dont know what you were thinking there, any player with decent skills,hours, or connections to clans is gonna pick up on that and not trust the server, having Admins playing on the server is THE BIGGEST NO NO you could ever do. its why a lot of us left, waking up to an offline raid with an admins name on my death screen is straight up stupid, u should of stamped that out straight away, ur custom ban system that banned me was not a great move (u unbanned me when u seen what happend), 5 man max on a 10x bi-weekly? ok thats fair enough its ur server but 3 should of been the number or no limit at all. yes like you said there is a bit of stuff that happened a while back that made it hard to be seen and that sucked, that killed me also but what 100% also killed me was allowing admins to play (this was 12+ months ago), now even though it was a 10x the furnaces were 100x after u add up all the multipliers, i did really enjoy my time on your servers but i couldn't hang around on a server where admins were playing hentaiperhaps was one for example chasing us in vanish shooting in no clip interfering with our game majorly like this. Anyway just thought id put in my two cents as u have really talked down on a very well made company that has make leaps and strides in this gaming industry, good luck with all your other ventures
Facepunch don’t even provide the bare minimum features to help admins inspect cheaters, you think they actually fix issues?? They’re far from a “very well made company” that has made “leaps and strides in this gaming industry” (lol) Facepunch is garbage, and will continue to be garbage, don’t lick boots

Reactions: Zeke Aileron

Bottiger

Administrator
having Admins playing on the server is THE BIGGEST NO NO you could ever do. its why a lot of us left,

How else do you expect to get admins? The 30 hours requirement was for playing on our servers, not rust hours total overall. Your server probably died because you were the only admin or your admins had no incentive to do anything.

This is a game design issue more than anything.

I also just checked your server, it never had more than 12 people in it. Your server never got bigger than needing 1 admin (you) to ban cheaters on it. Your server wasn't facing cheaters 24 hours a day. And based on the time you spent, it looks like you played on your own server.

https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/rust/10704851?playerCount=3M

Last edited: