Toxik

Contributor
Does anyone have the Shield?
I currently use a Roku 3 to stream Netflix and Hulu, and while the Shield isn't new, I'm wondering if anyone here has it and how good it is.

It's pretty neat that it not only has Chromecast integrated so you can stream anything, but you can also play PC games by streaming from your PC. I dunno, for $200, is it worth it?

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
We bought my son a shield about a year ago, had it imported from the US, found out his gpu wasn't compatible, and there were more issues which I can't remember, so we ended up selling it on.

Toxik

Contributor
Ah damn. I might still get one, I mean it looks pretty neat and I'm getting tired of my old Roku 3, but don't know yet

Bewbies

Mildly Menacing Medic
We tried out a couple options for our office, including Shield. It did the job, but it was more expensive than other options.. and we had to use the nvidia control panel to do everything. Annoying. We ended up buying a bunch of StarTech IPUSB2HD2 devices. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158327

It's basically a network-attached USB hub with an integrated video adapter. Way cool. You bind to it over your LAN, and it creates a DisplayLink-based monitor. (You can manage it as if its a physical monitor, from Windows display settings.) Bonus: you can still use the USB ports on the device over the network. So you can plug in a mouse, keyboard, etc over the LAN.

Latency is an issue over wireless. FYI

Reactions: Toxik