TurkîVulture

Positively Inhumane Poster
Hey everybody, lately my internet has only been pulling in...well:

bRlmjkO.png

and what I'm paying for is roughly about 135Mbps, does anyone know what could be holding up my internet and if so can i fix it myself without having to pay for a Comcast repair guy and stuff, Ive already tried resetting my router/motem and have switched different Ethernet cables too...please help

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
You have a serious packet loss somewhere on the route to the server which is being used for speed test. Ping of 105 ms clearly shows it.

Try:
  1. Testing your speed via wired device;
  2. Using another speed test (https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/)
  3. From a wireless device open the command prompt, type "tracert google.com", take a screenshot of output and post it here.
Also, what is the OS on a device you're testing the speed from?

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
Well you aren't going to get the full "135MB" if you are wireless.

What they don't really explain to people is you will only get the full download speed if you are wired to the modem. Wireless will almost never get the full download speed advertised by providers. For example, my ISP is 100MB, and my wireless devices average 70-80MBS. It also would depend on how far away the modem is from your wireless device. The further away it is, the weaker the signal, and potentially lower download speeds.

I say, just to trouble shoot, wire your computer to the modem and see what your download speed is. If you are not getting close to the 135 still, then you might have a problem.

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
Also, cable is widely dependent on how many people in your area with the same service are using it. Cable is based off of a community box on a telephone pole somewhere that services a part of a neighborhood, so you'll experience slower speeds at peak usage hours, say 7pm on a weekday night.

Also, you'll never reach Comcast's advertised "speeds" which is actually the bandwidth they are advertising. It's limited by neighborhood usage and the uploader's speed as well. The good thing is that speed =/= bandwidth.

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2227224/data-center/bandwidth-is-not-speed.html

Cable is fairly reliable on speed, regardless of your mbps at the time. (Unless you're actually downloading large files, then you want as much mbps as possible)

Products such as uverse are based off of ATT's DSL service which is a direct line from you to the internet. This delivers faster speeds, but has a much more limited bandwidth capacity.

So, if you're getting half of what comcast is advertising in bandwidth, it's common. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY will probably ever get the full amount unless you go and murder all your neighbors' computers.

Last edited:

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
What they don't really explain to people is you will only get the full download speed if you are wired to the modem.
Even wiring up directly to the modem does not guarantee you to get the full speed you're paying for:

GmmAZvH.png

@Turki_Vulture 5 - I'd also try changing the password for WLAN to see if it resolves the issue. If it does - then someone who uses your wireless network and shares the bandwidth with you is downloading (or uploading) something thus eating up the bandwidth. Also check the router for ingress/egress traffic - it can help in determining what IP is eating up the bandwidth.

TurkîVulture

Even wiring up directly to the modem does not guarantee you to get the full speed you're paying for:

GmmAZvH.png

@Turki_Vulture 5 - I'd also try changing the password for WLAN to see if it resolves the issue. If it does - then someone who uses your wireless network and shares the bandwidth with you is downloading (or uploading) something thus eating up the bandwidth. Also check the router for ingress/egress traffic - it can help in determining what IP is eating up the bandwidth.
I'll try that, that maybe would work, but at the same time I'm wondering maybe it could be something small like the cable wire being too loose leading to the modem and or the telephone wire

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I'll try that, that maybe would work, but at the same time I'm wondering maybe it could be something small like the cable wire being too loose leading to the modem and or the telephone wire
Nah, if you had a loose wire you would lose connectivity completely.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor

What is the brand and model of your modem? I'd assume it's Motorola since that's what Comcast installs by default for residential customers.

If it's Motorola:
  1. Open your web-browser and go to 192.168.100.1
  2. Check the Status tab for any errors on self-testing. EXAMPLE.
  3. Check Signal tab to make sure all the levels are within the range. Refer to the FOLLOWING normal values for comparison. EXAMPLE.
  4. Check Logs table for any critical (3) or warning (5) errors. See if you can correlate these errors to the date when the speed dropped. EXAMPLE.

TurkîVulture

What is the brand and model of your modem? I'd assume it's Motorola since that's what Comcast installs by default for residential customers.

If it's Motorola:

1. Open your web-browser and go to 192.168.100.1
    Check the Status tab for any errors on self-testing. EXAMPLE.
    Check Signal tab to make sure all the levels are within the range. Refer to the FOLLOWING normal values for comparison. EXAMPLE.
    Check Logs table for any critical (3) or warning (5) errors. See if you can correlate these errors to the date when the speed dropped. EXAMPLE.
Worked, whatever I did my Internets back to normal, thanks everybody ;3

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The ping dropped, the download speed increased. Either someone on your network was pulling something off the Web or Comcast had been having some kind of a service issue.

TurkîVulture

The ping dropped, the download speed increased. Either someone on your network was pulling something off the Web or Comcast had been having some kind of a service issue.
believe it was a service issue, but im pulling in much more than before, they also replaced the router/modem with a new one, and ther went to the junction box out side and toyed with that too, think they reset the channels and mad them clear