HonkeyDong

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Anyone else having an issue with replay's not working on Replay enabled servers? Any solutions or news that I missed that might help?

Thanks...

HonkeyDong

Yeah... I know skial doesn't support them..but why not?

Anyway....with my original question I just wanted to know in general if anyone knew a fix for replays not working in TF2 replay enabled servers.... thanks anyway...

HonkeyDong

Wellll...Skial does seem to be quite popular...would be nice if some of their servers were replay enabled for teh lulz. Of course there are other ways to record...but ....fehhhhh

JosieWoman125

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
The only reason why it's enabled cause Bottiger said it could crash the servers if I'm correct.

HonkeyDong

I'm trying to understand those posts above this one...I think you mean "The only reason why they are not enabled is because Bottiger said it could crash the servers"...and so Afire Azuaki responded that the servers in fact did not crash?

[TC]CreepingDeath

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I'm trying to understand those posts above this one...I think you mean "The only reason why they are not enabled is because Bottiger said it could crash the servers"...and so Afire Azuaki responded that the servers in fact did not crash?
Yes, you are correct. Historically, the replay feature has caused crashes and caused other plugins to not function correctly.

AfireAzuaki

Epic Skial Regular
I wasnt present during any of the crashes that occured back then.
I dont know about anything now but as creeping death explained...or something...
Yes, you are correct. Historically, the replay feature has caused crashes and caused other plugins to not function correctly.

Bottiger

Administrator
Ever since replays came out, people keep finding crashes and performance problems with it. Valve keeps saying they fixed it, but every other update there were still more crashes and freezes. Just 2 days ago, this came up on the mailing list (keep in mind that replays are nearly 1 year old now):

So our replay ftp server went down, i thought it was fixed at some point..
but now ALL my servers are down because of the replay server not being
there.

They are all just "hanging" doing nothing.

* Replay recording shutting down due to publishing error! Recording will
begin
* at the beginning of the next round, but may fail again.

And hanging, on another box:

* ERROR: Publish timed out after 60 seconds.

And after that same message as above, but still hanging.

We stumbled upon this ourselves long ago that Linux crashes would freeze if
the FTP server went down for whatever reason. It hadn't happened recently
so I can't give any useful data (like GDB/stack traces) but I can at least
confirm that it happened under a Linux server.

Not to mention that enabling replays wastes an extra slot.

HonkeyDong

Wastes an extra slot?...I'm unsure what you mean...all I ever did was press F6...didn't need to add to my backpack or anything that I know of...what do you mean?

wokmage

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
Wastes an extra slot?...I'm unsure what you mean...all I ever did was press F6...didn't need to add to my backpack or anything that I know of...what do you mean?

I think he means that it takes up computing resource that could otherwise be used to host another playable server.

Bottiger

Administrator
Here is another bug report from someone running replays.

Just looked at the log, there are no events that prompted this error. Does
any one else get crashes with this error? When the server crashes with it,
it does not restart automatically.

The error is: "* ERROR: Publish timed out after 60 seconds."

----

Yeah, i have had one case about last weekend, well before the xmas update. I think it is replay bug, looks like it anyway. Server jams, eats 100% cpu and sticks there untill killed manually.

-ics