• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Jamanie (JAH-MUH-NEE)

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Like I gotta be honest the new map just isn't as visually appealing as the old one was. The old looked a lot more like actual portal and at the same time looked good. I'm not actually sure what the new map looks like it just looks ... bad? I don't exactly know why i dislike the new look, but it may be nostalgia. I've played this map for a long time and it was a lot of fun doing all that stuff outside of the map and other places that you no longer can reach. I also just had really good memories with that old map (mostly with that little box outside of the main area, I used to get a bunch of friends go engie and just build a bunch of stuff right in there.) Maybe i'm being immature about all this but i seriously am kinda disappointed that the map was changed from the old map that I loved so much and had so many great memories on. I won't say that the new map design, it just feels like an entirely different map.

Reactions: Cpt Price #MSGA

TheMiningAlex

Positively Inhumane Poster
They do still have the engine box although it now also has a roof entrance. Idk much about this nostalgia or portal like feel that people talk about but I like the look of this map. It looks more modern/futuristic/(insert adjective here when I remember what it is). It's pretty streamlined it seems. Idk that's how I feel.

BBQ Prophet

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Nostalgia aside, the new map is very bad for reading chat and seeing into the enemy spawn, both very critical elements of a good trade map. Additionally, it is very claustrophobic and not conducive to extended, engaged play. This means that not only is the map bad for traders, it is also bad for players who keep it seeded and are just as crucial to competitive population. The only positive element to the change in map is that the map was changed, but the luster wore off after about five minutes for me (and I'm sure many others). Between the previous and current maps, the choice is obviously the former; between the previous and a custom map made by our own team, the choice is also obvious; not the current map.

TheMiningAlex

Positively Inhumane Poster
So you can see the unusuals or items they are wearing.
If they are advertising items can you not look at their backpack, and aren't there other ways of viewing items on characters not in game. I guess it would be easier but I wouldn't say it is absolutely necessary. There are other ways to view items

Fract_

Mildly Menacing Medic
The fact that the server wasn't even using the most recent version of the "new" map is something to take into account.

B6zu9N6.jpg

Fract_

Mildly Menacing Medic
Does it fix the issues?
- Version 4 has spawn windows that are not refracted, allowing for players to look inside of spawn.
- Version 4 has a heavily reduced amount of props in the map (from rev1) and it feels more "open", and less claustrophobic.
- In the updated version, there is now an underground area that resembles the free-roam feeling from beta5, allowing players to fly under the map to get from Point A to Point B, without being shot at.
- Version 4 also features more areas, completely new from the classic map; the rooms are mainly used as alternate pathways to the same areas, while one is to be used for legitimate fights, as it is out of the way from the rest of the map, and is what I deem to be a nice little battleground.
- Version 4 includes many more consumables than in previous versions, meaning that players will have to retreat back to spawn or retreat to a faraway mega healthpack less often. It will also increase the amount of fighting that will happen, since now both teams can stay alive longer, and feel less like they can't dis-engage from a fight.

- I will admit, the newer version has a lot of white floors, which may not be good for reading the chat for trades; However, I would assume that most heavy-duty traders wouldn't bother to leave spawn, with that, all of the walls in spawn (and in the rest of the map) are black, so that players do have a surface to read chat if they're hunting for a sale or deal.
- Also, something that isn't included is the fog from beta5. I never liked the fog, but many players point out that it was used to prevent spawn-camping snipers, soldiers, etc. Some players may have noticed in rev1 that enemy explosions don't go off in your spawn, which prevents sudden rocket-barrage attacks from doing damage. To deal with the issue of Snipers, there is an alternate exit players can take, which leads them to a small side area, which is also equipped with anti-explosive defense measures, and they can find themselves going through a hallway, which brings them to the normal play area.

One last thing: Players do not like change, they thrive on nostalgia, and they want to protect the thing that has been their home for some time, somebody will say that it's a terrible idea to change the map, and I will have to live with that. I have displayed here the pros/cons that will be most obvious, and I hope that I wasn't too rude or mean in my presentation.

If you made it this far through my text, great job! Have a cookie :P :cookie: