bit

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
I don't want to be too much of a hassle here, but I really need some help with choosing the parts for my pc.
Now, to get going I want to base my build around smokey's build, since we both like the same games and he runs them just fine.
I'm also gonna use it for video editing, 3d modelling... etc.

So I figured I would at least upgrade to a better processor.

Looking for the best support for :

• Quad-core CPUs (AMD)
  • At least 8GB of high-speed RAM
  • Four (or more) SATA hard drives
  • FireWire connections (possibly in both the front and back of the case)
  • USB 3.0 ports

If anyone is kind enough to sit through this with me I'll love you forever :')

bit

And I have a 800-1000 € budget, though I'd like to keep it fairly cheap :3

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
You kind of went off topic, what exactly do you want help with?

Edit: Nvm, I see.

You can do a good bit for 1.3k US, problem is you need a european retailer. Do we need to use an online retailer we know of, or do you know of some? Perhaps you already have a place where you plan to purchase from?

bit

Sorry, I'll make it a bit better. I type whatever comes into my mind sometimes :|

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Problem is I'm having trouble finding a european pc parts vendor, I guess I could just get prices from newegg, but I know parts over there tend to be more expensive so I don't know if it will be in budget.

Amazon maybe?

Reactions: Morbuzka

bit

Problem is I'm having trouble finding a european pc parts vendor, I guess I could just get prices from newegg, but I know parts over there tend to be more expensive so I don't know if it will be in budget.

It's fine, if you can list the parts I'll be happy. I have the right connections to aquire them.

bit

Firm on AMD? Any interest in overclocking?

Well, I went with AMD because it was better for gaming and 3D related (or so I was told).
Unless you know something better.

Not too sure about overclocking already. First build ever and I don't feel easy enough to assure I'd do it right.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
CPU - Intel i5-3570k
PSU - SeaSonic M12II
RAM - Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16gB (Substitute another major brand if necessary)
HDD - WD Caviar Black 1tB
Case - I'm a fan of the cooler master HAF series, but anything that fits would theoretically work. HAF 932 for full size, HAF 922 for midsize.
Cpu Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO
GPU - EVGA GTX 670

That's slightly over budget (including the HAF 922), unless you can find the parts cheaper than amazon.co.uk. You can shave off around 120 pounds by going for the 660 over the 670, or if you have an AMD card you'd like to use. I don't know what programs you use, but many are CUDA accelerated, which requires Nvidia.

bit

Cinema4D, Vegas, After Effects. But this will do, I'll try to reduce the price a little bit.

Thanks man.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Cinema4D, Vegas, After Effects. But this will do, I'll try to reduce the price a little bit.

Thanks man.
Yeah, you could probably find good component offerings for cheaper from other brands, it's just hard for me to say since the pc component scene is a little different over there. If you find some alternatives just post back here, I can yay or nay it.

bit

Yeah, will do. It's a bit pricey at some parts though :x
Will 8 gb ram suffice ? Unless you aimed at very high end editing.

And for video cards, I found a Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 (1gb) for around €100.
Don't know if that's a decent card or not, I really don't know.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Yeah, will do. It's a bit pricey at some parts though :x
Will 8 gb ram suffice ? Unless you aimed at very high end editing.

And for video cards, I found a Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 (1gb) for around €100.
Don't know if that's a decent card or not, I really don't know.

Yeah 8gB is fine for most people, doesn't shave off that much though price wise. HD 7750 has ~1/4th the performance of a 670, 1/3rd the performance of a 660ti.

bit

So in comparison, I'm better off paying that extra 200 bucks.

But since I still need to get my parents on this too (since they'll be paying for some parts because it's for school as well) I might have to shrink on the dosh.

I remember smokey having a decent build for half the price ;
stFQt.png
Can't I just add a quadcore and 8gigs on that ? :')

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I guess, you won't find that mobo though, and the gfx is low-end. What I put together is a higher range system within your listed budget, you're going to squeeze more years out of it before it feels like old tech that you need to replace.

bit

I guess it's cheaper in the long run than. Alright, I'll go for that.

Thanks a lot :)

Morbuzka

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
CPU - Intel i5-3570k
PSU - SeaSonic M12II
RAM - Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16gB (Substitute another major brand if necessary)
HDD - WD Caviar Black 1tB
Case - I'm a fan of the cooler master HAF series, but anything that fits would theoretically work. HAF 932 for full size, HAF 922 for midsize.
Cpu Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO
GPU - EVGA GTX 670

That's slightly over budget (including the HAF 922), unless you can find the parts cheaper than amazon.co.uk. You can shave off around 120 pounds by going for the 660 over the 670, or if you have an AMD card you'd like to use. I don't know what programs you use, but many are CUDA accelerated, which requires Nvidia.
Hey, bro, I just did a bit of studying and kinda saw that the 660 Ti kinda beats the 670, it would be better to go to 680 instead.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Hey, bro, I just did a bit of studying and kinda saw that the 660 Ti kinda beats the 670, it would be better to go to 680 instead.

Battlefield-3_Benchmark.jpg

I'd go for a 660 over a 660 ti to save money if I had to choose, though the ti benefits from overclocking much more than the non-ti.

bit

Mhm, I think I might take smokey's build and add 8 gigs of ram to it.
I'm not going really going to edit a lot of stuff at home for the coming 2+ years so I could easily save up that 1k to build a pc purely for editing, not too mention I don't even own all the programs yet.(which would add up so much more)

EDIT : Nvm, those prices were in pounds : D