Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
A description of natural selection pulled from the internet

The process whereby organisms better adapted to their environment tend to survive and produce more offspring.

Far often than I'd like to see, people on social media are greatly injuring or killing themself or someone around them for online clout. Its mortifying that we can share the roadway with someone who thinks its a good idea to record themself challenging others to drive with no lights on at night for as long as possible. Waving and pointing guns at your buddies for your wannabe rap video. I've seen these events go wrong far more than I have seen go right, and every time its gone wrong, its resulted in someone dying or being injured severely.
Now why I bring natural selection into this is because I don't know if its the way this world is right now that allows people to have such callous disregard for the safety of their and others lives for social media attention, or its life's twisted way of "thinning the herd", as mentioned, natural selection. The stated description doesn't say the lesser adapted outright die and don't survive, however, if the better adapted tend to survive more often than the lesser adapted, you get the message.

Has social media just become a method of natural selection for people to maim themselves or others just for that shot of internet attention?

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Arab Andy right?
Yeah that's him. Mega incel.

adfsdfbdf.png

Toxik

Contributor
I mean yeah social media is a plague, but how do you even propose to fix it? People aren't gonna leave it anytime soon because the entire purpose of social media itself is to build addiction from its users

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
I mean yeah social media is a plague, but how do you even propose to fix it? People aren't gonna leave it anytime soon because the entire purpose of social media itself is to build addiction from its users
No proposition for a fix

worMatty

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Mapper
You could argue that the people who survive these crazy stunts are more fit for their environment and are more likely to pass on their genes. Ironically it's the people who fail them who seem to get more attention.