Zeo

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Looks kind of depressing. It might be me but the textures seem to blend together.

Zeke Aileron

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor

Pretty flat...., spells and mannpower-ups in VSH as pickups is a bit of a turn off as well..

If anything you should remove the spells and Mannpowerups, add some more ramps/staircases in certain bits of the map, add in objects around the playing field, a bit better hp/ammo kit placement, in general just a bit more love towards the map to give a more living display...

Last edited:

Chronos

Unremarkable User
Mannpower-ups in VSH doesn't seem like a good idea
They're only Mannpower powerups in aesthetics only. they don't function like them. They use map triggers to apply effects that have a limited duration. Have a variant without spell books. I only used mannpower models to indicate there was a boost or powerup to be given, but they don't have the same functionality (picking them up and have them indefinitely).

Last edited:

Chronos

Unremarkable User
There are 3 "Power-Ups" available, and only 1 of each kind, with varying respawn durations depending on the powerup. The one in the center of the map provides mini-crits, and have a respawn time of roughly 35 seconds. The powerup on the left applies the battalions backup resistance, takes about a minute to respawn, and the one in the center applies uber, and takes around 2 minutes and 20 seconds to respawn, quite a while.

Chronos

Unremarkable User
I still recommend not having them at all, also taunting for minicrits, jarate, and Buff banner exist for minicrits anyways.
Be that as it may, that's dependent on the server it's being played on (Taunt crits). They all have their pros and cons (Location, and time it takes to respawn). These buffs are not radial, so they are only for one person for the duration. And i doubt there has been an implementation of these mechanics in an FF2 map in this fashion, so there aren't really any other examples to go off of.

Last edited:

Zeke Aileron

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
These buffs are not radial, so they are only for one person for the duration. And i doubt there has been an implementation of these mechanics in an FF2 map in this fashion, so there aren't really any other examples to go off of.
I'm pretty sure you're unaware that the map pool is shared with both VSH and FF2 here in Skial, I'll stick to my previous statement, it's best recommended to remove these powerups because they seem pretty imbalanced regardless of what you said.

And most of the VSH regulars already dislike maps that was purely suggested for FF2 and not for both...

Reactions: Seminal Inhalation

Chronos

Unremarkable User
I'm pretty sure you're unaware that the map pool is shared with both VSH and FF2 here in Skial, I'll stick to my previous statement, it's best recommended to remove these powerups because they seem pretty imbalanced regardless of what you said.

And most of the VSH regulars already dislike maps that was purely suggested for FF2 and not for both...
This map can be used for either, i just defaulted to recommending FF2 as I thought it was used more often. Concerning the power-ups, i honestly don't see them being problematic. if they "seem pretty imbalanced." to you, that's fine, but that's just conjecture based off of a brief overview of the map and previous knowledge from other maps that most likely did not function the same. This is probably something that should be tested instead of judged based off of non applicable knowledge.

Zeke Aileron

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
This map can be used for either, i just defaulted to recommending FF2 as I thought it was used more often.
FF2 is not used more often, both Servers fill up varying throughout times of the day.

This is probably something that should be tested instead of judged based off of non applicable knowledge.
Should be tested sure, in which case you do a test server and have players try it out in there.

Skial VSH and FF2 don't add maps for simply testing a map, and i'm not sure what you mean by non applicable knowledge, i've played so many different kinds of VSH, and FF2 servers in my 7+ years of TF2 and i can say Powerups on a VSH/FF2 map is a bad design feature when servers can already do Plugins for said features.

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
FF2 is not used more often, both Servers fill up varying throughout times of the day.

Should be tested sure, in which case you do a test server and have players try it out in there.

Skial VSH and FF2 don't add maps for simply testing a map, and i'm not sure what you mean by non applicable knowledge, i've played so many different kinds of VSH, and FF2 servers in my 7+ years of TF2 and i can say Powerups on a VSH/FF2 map is a bad design feature when servers can already do Plugins for said features.
Our knowledge is non applicable because we don’t know what we’re talking about obviously

• Haha
Reactions: Zeke Aileron

Chronos

Unremarkable User
Well, if you wanted results from my own testing, I don't think it had a negative impact on/or was too disruptive to gameplay at all, which is why I'm arguing this.
Non applicable knowledge meaning that I doubt there as been an implementation of these mechanics of this kind.
There might be plugins that can do something similar, but there's a difference between map placed objects and plugins.
These locations become POIs, while simultaneously becoming a target for Hale. There a distance you have to travel and a location you have to be in, as well as you having to get there first. Hale can gatekeep players from obtaining these unlike the use of something plugin related (like RTD), and all 3 of them make it so you have to put in a lot of leg work to get to or put yourself in a dangerous position to obtain (While also only allowing one player to obtain them at once, as they take longer to respawn than it takes for the effects to wear off). Meaning at any given time, you only have one to three problematic players to worry about (one of which will have quite a sub-par effect.)
Our knowledge is non applicable because we don’t know what we’re talking about obviously
Well I can tell you're being facetious, but I'm not joking nor being condescending in the slightest.
I'm simply imploring you to take a closer look at the map. I'm willing to make a concession on the powerups, but only if they truly have such a drastically negative effect on gameplay as you think.

• Dumb
Reactions: Jermaphobe

MANBEAROW | OW OW OW

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
I'd be more concerned about the spell books...
Mannpower-ups and spell books, yet no suicide gears/croc pits or banana on the map to be found. Booooo.

That said, this somehow looks even more bland a map than default texture 2towers.

-1, though the base map I feel has promise.