Tomatketchup

Banned
Contributor
Hi. Last night I decided that I'd install Windows 8 on my computer.

Most stupid decision of the day.

I install it on my only partition on my computer, smarty me, but I wasn't thinking I'd replace it. I go through the installation progress, no problems so far, I just install it and make sure that all my files are copied. Nemas problemas.

After a few install-reboots I finally get to the start screen. Oboy. So the first thing I notice is that I fucking suck at navigating and that I'm stuck with stupid apps on my screen, not finding where the settings are, nor can I search. Then I notice I have to pull my cursor up to the absolute top-right corner of the screen to get a few options. Alright. I just want to get to the desktop. Where do I find that? After some frustrating search it appears that the desktop is right by the apps - disguised as a fucking fish. Oh well.

So noticing I don't have any internet on the computer, I start to wonder. Why wouldn't it be installed along with the other software? Then I notice it, I've got none of my software left. Steam, WoW, Google Chrome, uTorrent, VLC - nadah. The only thing the computer kept was my pictures and music. At least I got to keep my Max folder!

Realizing that, I get quite frustrated. Perhaps it was hiding somewhere? No. It was all gone. What the fuck. Okay, okay, no problems, just redownload once I get internet started again. Pop in my USB, get my installation CD for the internet. Pop it in.

Oboy the CD drivers aren't there either.

Great, stuck with no software, no internet and no fucking CD drive. Just perfect. So I sit there for one hour trying to figure out what to do. Decide to revert back to Windows 7 oh wait I can't since it's also on a CD fuck. Searching on Google, great, no fucking answer because every. single. fucking. site. only says how to install Windows 8 through CD. Well, fuck you guys then. Frustrated since I had a physics test the next day (that is today, and I got a B on it yay) I had to go to bed for proper rest. Before that I had to shut down the computer. Haha, oh wow, appears I don't know how. Google the answer. At least they had the answer to that, and not a "How to install Windows 8 by shutting down your computer." So I find out that there's no simple "shut down" button here. No, you have to go to the settings and shut it down from there. Why's that? Isn't that just unnecessary? Appears that the damned thing has been designed with tablets in mind. Tablets? Wait, wait, Microsoft makes tablets? What the fuck.

Next day ask on W8 forums, appears that the only way to repair is to put my SATA cable from the CD into another port on my motherboard. Right. I did that, worked splendid. Still, that's because I know a bit about computers. Think of those poor casual bastards that's got no idea what a SATA, or a motherboard at all, is. Oh well, CDs worked again. Great, now just to install my internet.

Haha, guess what, doesn't fucking work.

Turns out my fucking Internet isn't compatible with Windows 8, or something. I don't know, because Google just kept saying how to install Windows 8 with an USB. Jeez, thanks assholes. It's not like there's 53456034 thousand other ways to install the fucking thing. So right, fuck it. Going back to Windows 7. Restart the computer with the CD in, proceed to install Windows 7. Oh wait, can't, the language of the CD is not compatible with the OS language. The only way to go back now? Reformate the computer. Godammit. Save the necessary files (like my Skyrim save and Max pictures) on a CD, then reformate the thing. Great. Just great.

So then I go and try and install, works. Now I'm sitting here waiting for the OS to finally get installed so I can enjoy a problem-free enviroment where help is accessible if needed and don't have to look at an interface designed for tablets that I didn't even know Microsoft made.

Fuck Windows 8.

KOS-MOS

Uncharitable Spy
This is why you should play with operating systems in a virtual machine. Then if something goes wrong, oh well, just delete the VM and start over

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Officially the development of Windows 8 started in 01/2011. How could you expect some solid product that has been in development (I mean, heavy development) for 1 year only? That's why I'm saying that Win 8 is gonna be a failure (following MS pattern).

KOS-MOS

Uncharitable Spy
Win 8 is meant for a tablet not a desktop environment, and for touch screen, not a mouse. Don't know why people want to use it on a desktop. I have a copy of it, but haven't touched it for this exact reason

Tomatketchup

Banned
Contributor
Officially the development of Windows 8 started in 01/2011. How could you expect some solid product that was being in development (I mean, heavy development) for 1 year? That's why I'm saying that Win 8 is gonna be a failure (following MS pattern).
I was thinking that too, but the last straw came when there was no answers on Google at all about anything, so I just couldn't be bothered to experiment with it while my fan was running fucking haywire (it needs to be regulated with SpeedFan). If I just had SpeedFan I think I could've been more patient with it.

Roman

Banned
Contributor
"If I were you, I'd avoid Windows 8."
"Until they get some of the bugs out, right?"
"No, just avoid it."

joemaster725

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Contributor
:facepalm: Why would you not just put it in another partition, or just run it in virtual box? win * is not ready to be a full fledged stable OS. IT IS STILL IN PREVIEW! there are bound to be numerous bugs. :facepalm:

KOS-MOS

Uncharitable Spy
The reason why Windows 8 is coming out is because Microsoft has no real market share for tablets. They have a windows tablet already, but it's not that great. As of right now, an iPad or an android tablet is a better option. Will Windows 8 change that? I highly doubt it, but we'll have to wait and see. I know someone who put Win 8 on his tablet and he says he loves it. Then again, tablets aren't really my thing. I'd rather have my laptop.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The reason why Windows 8 is coming out is because Microsoft has no real market share for tablets. They have a windows tablet already, but it's not that great. As of right now, an iPad or an android tablet is a better option. Will Windows 8 change that? I highly doubt it, but we'll have to wait and see. I know someone who put Win 8 on his tablet and he says he loves it. Then again, tablets aren't really my thing. I'd rather have my laptop.
Somewhat right. You have to remember, though: slowly, but surely Windows Mobile is getting to mobile market. I have Win Mobile 7.5 phone and - damn, I like it... What prevents MS from getting into tablets market in the same manner.

Tomatketchup

Banned
Contributor
Somewhat right. You have to remember, though: slowly, but surely Windows Mobile is getting to mobile market. I have Win Mobile 7.5 phone and - damn, I like it... What prevents MS from getting into tablets market in the same manner.
It's not that, I just feel that okay, Apple owns the mobile market. That's great. Microsoft's still owns the computer market. I can understand that they want an operative system that's compatible with all systems, that's great, but when you create an operative system that incorporates tablet functions into a computer - maybe that's a great idea, I don't know, but I felt it was executed poorly. Then again, I have no say in this since I barely used the damn OS, but still, the logic just feels weird to me.