Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I know picking up a RAM kit is the way to go by all means, but I'm in a pinch.

Could someone who knows more about this stuff shed some light on mixing ram? I was going to pick up another 4GB to add to my current 4GB (different brands and stuff)

Last edited:

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
After talking to a friend I'll marked this solved. He said if I do encounter any problems he'd trade me his 2x4 ram kit for mine if I encounter any problems so ignore this thread

tux9656

Uncharitable Spy
mixed ram speeds will clock down to the slowest one if I'm correct
That's how it's suppose to work, but sometimes the system will just look at the faster stick and set the clock rate and timing for that which will either cause the system to not boot or cause random corruption of memory. In this situation, it is best to manually set clock rate and timings.

foe

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Not really advertisement, as I don't get paid lol I've used the site since 1999 so figured someone who doesn't even know what memory latency is could not bottleneck their system with crap RAM. Sorry for attempting to help. 2 weeks is not a long time either, maybe to a child but not to an adult.

Apologies again for attempting to help a post that states clear ignorance on the subject.

<3

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Not really advertisement, as I don't get paid lol I've used the site since 1999 so figured someone who doesn't even know what memory latency is could not bottleneck their system with crap RAM. Sorry for attempting to help. 2 weeks is not a long time either, maybe to a child but not to an adult.

Apologies again for attempting to help a post that states clear ignorance on the subject.

<3

If you wanna give me $80 for decent ram then by all means hit me up

Otherwise I can survive not gaining an extra 2-3 FPS in favor of saving $40 until I can afford a proper rig