Slip

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Mapper
The damage a goomba does is usually in the range of (600-1200). Not sure what causes different amounts. It would be much more convenient if the dmg a goomba did was more predictable (for clutch situations, for example). One other issue is if you land on the head of a player not hard enough, the goomba doesn't register. The old goomba plug-in (from over a year ago) did not have this issue.

My suggestion would be to bring back the old goomba plug-in. Something to note though is that a mini-crit goomba on the old plugin did over 2k dmg. If this is of concern, one can simply edit the old plugin to reduce the damage to a lower amount (if needed).

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Pretty sure goomba is based on Hales HP and hales HP is based on how many players are in the server. Goomba does not need to be buffed, -1, it was, and still is OP.

mike-kirby

Positively Inhumane Poster
Pretty sure goomba is based on Hales HP and hales HP is based on how many players are in the server. Goomba does not need to be buffed, -1, it was, and still is OP.
No it isn't. It deals 500-1200 damage I think and that's only when you're lucky. Goomba's are far more difficult than any heavy damage techniques but is nowadays not prioritized at all because of its uselessness, 'high' skill level and high risk.
It should be re-edited so it deals 1500 all the time, even when you're (mini)crit boosted.
W2AhN0f.jpg

as you can see hale has 18k health but I still got 500 for a goomba

+1 this should've been fixed a long time ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slip

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
No it isn't. It deals 500-1200 damage I think and that's only when you're lucky. Goomba's are far more difficult than any heavy damage techniques but is nowadays not prioritized at all because of its uselessness, 'high' skill level and high risk.
It should be re-edited so it deals 1500 all the time, even when you're (mini)crit boosted.

+1 this should've been fixed a long time ago.
Been a while sense I haled, just last I played goomba was like that, and it was stupidly broken. I still dont like goomba that much so just my bias showing I so pose.

Fragancia

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Contributor
Mapper
Some misinfomation in this thread regarding how Goomba stomp actually works, there's a configurable variable(cvar for short) that determines how much damage is dealt to the boss based on his remaining health. vsh_boss_goomba_dmg_lifemultiplier is the cvar, it's default value is set to 0.025. vsh_boss_goomba_dmg_add adds extra damage on top of that. More about the cvars is available to see over here.

If you want to pull off goomba stomps easier, you need to lower the fall momentum requirement(goomba_minspeed) which is set to 360 by default. Lowering it to 300 is something you can try.

In my opinion, goomba stomp doesn't really need to be changed, it's fine as it is, although it wouldn't hurt to lower the fall momentum requirement that much.

Last edited:

mike-kirby

Positively Inhumane Poster
Some misinfomation in this thread regarding how Goomba stomp actually works, there's a configurable variable(cvar for short) that determines how much damage is dealt to the boss based on his remaining health. vsh_boss_goomba_dmg_lifemultiplier is the cvar, it's default value is set to 0.025. vsh_boss_goomba_dmg_add adds extra damage on top of that. More about the cvars is available to see over here.

If you want to pull off goomba stomps easier, you need to lower the fall momentum requirement(goomba_minspeed) which is set to 360 by default. Lowering it to 300 is something you can try.

In my opinion, goomba stomp doesn't really need to be changed, it's fine as it is, although it wouldn't hurt to lower the fall momentum requirement that much.
That still doesn't explain why I got 500 damage that time. Also why would it be calculated in a way to make the max damage around 1300 and going lower. I already hate hp based attacks but why have it so it can only deal 1325 max. I've gotten 5 goomba's and all I got was a lousy 3k damage while my soldier and spy got 9k with ease. I haven't seen a goomba scout for a long time and for good reasons too. Goomba's are now something that you can do when you're already written for death to do some chip damage.
Btw the difficulty of goomba stomps aren't the problem, it's that if one is pulled you get very little for what you've done.

Fragancia

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Contributor
Mapper
That still doesn't explain why I got 500 damage that time.

3155 * 0.025 = 78.875
added 500 on the remaining health of the hale on the picture you uploaded (2655)
After that, vsh_boss_goomba_dmg_add adds 450, and it sums up to be 528.875.

Also why would it be calculated in a way to make the max damage around 1300 and going lower.

I assume it's for balancing reasons because of how boss health works, it scales based on the amount players is in the server and playing.

I already hate hp based attacks but why have it so it can only deal 1325 max. I've gotten 5 goomba's and all I got was a lousy 3k damage while my soldier and spy got 9k with ease. I haven't seen a goomba scout for a long time and for good reasons too. Goomba's are now something that you can do when you're already written for death to do some chip damage.
Btw the difficulty of goomba stomps aren't the problem, it's that if one is pulled you get very little for what you've done.

If you want the stomps to deal 1500 everytime regardless of the health hale currently has, you need to set the lifemultiplier cvar to -1 and set vsh_boss_goomba_dmg_add to 1500, this will guarantee the stomps deal 1500 everytime.
You'll have to garner some support for this change, but consider why the Goomba stomps work the way they do now. My opinion is still the same, it doesn't need to change.

Slip

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Mapper
Talked to a few other player about goombas, they will post their opinions soon.

Bottiger

Administrator

We are using those default settings as mentioned above.

There is no going back because the goomba plugin is integrated into Saxton Hale. We will not be reverting to an older version of Saxton Hale just so we can use the old Goomba plugin.

It seems like people do not want goomba to be stronger so I will mark this as declined.