Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
So after a friend of mine was asking me to help him fix his FPS dropping problems, I noticed that my FPS has gone much lower since a week or so ago on a few of my Steam games. Namely, TF2, GMod and CS:GO. I havent listed other games because those are my most often played Steam games.

Usually I can fetch an easy 250-300 fps in each game, but recently (didnt touch settings, install custom configs) TF2 has been hitting 50-70 fps, GMod at 150 fps, and CS:GO at 200 fps.

Of course, that fps for each of those games are very respectable and will guarantee decently smooth gameplay, but figured that it might be worth checking out. I mean, how does a game just drop 200 fps like that in a matter of days without any major tf2 updates of the sort?

I remember I one time ran TF2, GMod and some other game at the same time and had 200 fps in each of them. Now if I run just one of them, its either that same amount or drastically lower.

Thanks!

Avenger

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I'm having the same problem, TF2 sometimes drops all the way to 40 fps. When I zoom into my sniper rifle, though, it jumps to 150 fps. I have no idea why, either. I see how loading less of the screen would boost it a bit, but tripling it? You're still processing everything else, it's just not on the screen

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
Your computer might need a dustin'. Check your hardware as well, because deterioration can cause a malfunciton in your graphics, CPU, whatever. Laptop or Desktop?

Cube

Jailbreak Moderator
imagezm9.gif

:)
Edit: Not mine, obviously. I have no skill in making gifs

staticvoid

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I've notice some random fps drop lately.

You must also know that the amount of CPU is dependent on what's happening in the game. Like a 32 player server with players all with laser weapons will cause a lower fps than an organized 6s match.

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
I've notice some random fps drop lately.

You must also know that the amount of CPU is dependent on what's happening in the game. Like a 32 player server with players all with laser weapons will cause a lower fps than an organized 6s match.

I always play on 32 player servers, and havent touched competitive style games in a while (a very long while)

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The fact that it affects multiple games makes me think it's not related to in-game settings. As Ceeddd asked, have you tried any other non-Valve games? Have you tried deleting the driver and then downloading THIS one ( it has just been released) and installing it?

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
The fact that it affects multiple games makes me think it's not related to in-game settings. As Ceeddd asked, have you tried any other non-Valve games? Have you tried deleting the driver and then downloading THIS one ( it has just been released) and installing it?

Whoops, forgot to reply. The only Source games that are more.. intensive are the ones listed above (TF2, CS:GO, GMod) But I havent tried the driver thing, I'll give it a go right now :)

Thanks!

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human

Just did a clean install of the driver, hitting 50-80 right now.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
What settings do you have in NVidia Control panel? Make sure you have "Let the 3D application decide":

nviidiapic.jpg

Moreover, restore all settings to defaults using "Restore defaults" in the right upper corner.

Thing to try: shut down your PC for an hour. Let it cool down completely. Touch your graphics card and make sure it's cool. Start up your PC and see if FPS increased.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Also, are you using any streaming software by any chance while playing?

EDIT: I doubt it's Valve's fault since my FPS are just fine - on a regular 200-250 level in tf2.

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
What settings do you have in NVidia Control panel? Make sure you have "Let the 3D application decide":

nviidiapic.jpg

Moreover, restore all settings to defaults using "Restore defaults" in the right upper corner.

Thing to try: shut down your PC for an hour. Let it cool down completely. Touch your graphics card and make sure it's cool. Start up your PC and see if FPS increased.

Havent ever touched the control panel for that, but still clicked Restore Default. I'll try shutting the computer down. What's the max amount of time before you let it cool down?

I never really shut it down, just leave it with the monitor off and I assume it goes into standby or something (computer's not really mine, so) -- Right now its been on for.. um.. 8 days.

Also, are you using any streaming software by any chance while playing?

EDIT: I doubt it's Valve's fault since my FPS are just fine - on a regular 200-250 level in tf2.

Nope, I suck anyways :)