Drum

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Mapper
I've tried Linux and found it to be decent. however, when it comes to some things, see the Description Tag I applied to my Tux
i have tried linux and i dont really like it and i do like windows so theres that yeah
Obviously you've never tried anything else, so don't say you love Windows just for the sake of loving the only OS you've ever used in your life.
I for one love Windows, not gonna hate on Mac, or Linux because those are probably better for other things or maybe someone just likes it.

Usually it tends to be that people who aren't comfortable in a CLI environment, aren't fond of linux.

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
Usually it tends to be that people who aren't comfortable in a CLI environment, aren't fond of linux.

They need to either try something like Ubuntu (looks different) or Kubuntu (Windows lookalike). I wanna punch whoever recommends a computer newbie to something like Arch or Gentoo (starts off with the CLI and you literally start from scratch and have to do a lot and I do mean a LOT of reading from the Arch or Gentoo wiki), but I'd also like to punch whoever doesn't want to try out something new that literally takes just holding down the Super (Windows) key and about a page of reading for Ubuntu's Unity interface.

Drum

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Mapper
They need to either try something like Ubuntu (looks different) or Kubuntu (Windows lookalike). I wanna punch whoever recommends a computer newbie to something like Arch or Gentoo (starts off with the CLI and you literally start from scratch and have to do a lot and I do mean a LOT of reading from the Arch or Gentoo wiki), but I'd also like to punch whoever doesn't want to try out something new that literally takes just holding down the Super (Windows) key and about a page of reading for Ubuntu's Unity interface.
I would not use the Ubuntu installer for windows. At least use a USB boot installer.

Ubuntu is okay, I hate the unity interface. I prefer Crunchbang over Ubuntu, seems like ubuntu has been getting a bit worse.
Honestly someone should start with like Linux Mint, Ubuntu, or Xubuntu if you don't have a good computer.
CLIs' are where it's at though. So much more efficient.

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
I would not use the Ubuntu installer for windows. At least use a USB boot installer.

Ubuntu is okay, I hate the unity interface. I prefer Crunchbang over Ubuntu, seems like ubuntu has been getting a bit worse.
Honestly someone should start with like Linux Mint, Ubuntu, or Xubuntu if you don't have a good computer.

Unity I honestly think is so much better than anything I've ever used, Gnome 3 included is also amazing. It just takes some getting used to.

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper

I used Ubuntu, so all of my Linux experience is there.
and I used the Windows installer. obviously didn't use by boot disk, instead used a portion of my second internal hard drive that I normally use for Steam

come to think of it, I could probably get another 200GB by using my old SATA HDD, I think I have the power connector for it

Drum

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Mapper
I used Ubuntu, so all of my Linux experience is there.
and I used the Windows installer. obviously didn't use by boot disk, instead used a portion of my second internal hard drive that I normally use for Steam

come to think of it, I could probably get another 200GB by using my old SATA HDD, I think I have the power connector for it
You could just install linux on that external drive and just boot from that.
I like Ubuntu, but personally I'd go with Arch or Crunchbang.

Unity I honestly think is so much better than anything I've ever used, Gnome 3 included is also amazing. It just takes some getting used to.
I don't understand how people like it. I think it's atrocious for desktop computing. I'd enjoy it if I had a touchscreen tablet running ubuntu.

Drum

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Mapper
Aw, we got our own thread.
9ltHZEh.gif

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
I don't understand how people like it. I think it's atrocious for desktop computing. I'd enjoy it if I had a touchscreen tablet running ubuntu.

If you looked passed the gigantic icons on the left, you would see the extremely useful features that Ubuntu has to offer, such as merging the menus to the top of the screen rather than the menu taking up valuable viewing space of your web browser or application.

Drum

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Mapper
i dont know why should i have other linuxes i just want a linux that works but it doesnt so windows good
If you use Linux Mint or Ubuntu it'll mostly work out of the box, but *nix installations require work and customization for your machine.
It's not for gaming, though.

JayDee

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
If you use Linux Mint or Ubuntu it'll mostly work out of the box, but *nix installations require work and customization for your machine.
It's not for gaming, though.
i used ubuntu and i still dont liked it sory i ges

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
i used ubuntu and i still dont liked it sory i ges

I would recommend you get yourself an old Core 2 Duo craptop and use Ubuntu or something for at least 15 or 30 days, you have to learn this type of shit at some point in your life once Windows 7 bites the dust.

tux9656

Uncharitable Spy
I think OpenSuse is a good distro for someone new to Linux. Everything you can think of can be configured from the GUI. I installed 13.1 in a virtual machine recently and it was so easy to install Steam. Just a few clicks of the mouse and it was installed and working.