Node

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
There are 2 options:
1) We stop reporting when things happen. People figure that the server admins don't care so they do whatever they want. The servers get more toxic and drive new players away.
2) We keep making reports as they happen. Some of the people reported realize they'll keep getting banned so they stop. People who don't eventually get permanently banned from all the reports. Less toxic people and negative actions on the servers helps the community and helps retain new players so the servers can continue to grow.

So either 1 we harm the servers, or 2 we help the servers. Like I said, limiting reports serve no purpose.

EDIT: As jermaphobe has reacted "dumb" on this, then logically he thinks my point is dumb. Thus he thinks helping the server is dumb and that its better to harm it. Got it :)

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: Jermaphobe

Node

Jermaphobe, I see you're just going to stay on the sidelines reacting "dumb". Why don't you tell us why you think people should be able to get away with break the rules just because of an arbitrary limit? Unless you're just reacting "dumb" because you have something against me then I understand.

• Dumb

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
In all seriousness, there is a reason to cut down on how many reports come in at once. Admins get pinged on Discord when a new report is made, but the bot only shows the most recent few reports. If there's a big dump of reports coming in within a 5-10 minute time frame, older reports basically get buried. While we'd like to deal with reports essentially as they come in, not everyone is always free, so we tend to deal with the ones that show up on the dashboard. I'm not saying nobody checks the forums, but it's way easier to see that you got a notification on Discord and check out a report that way.

Personally, I'd rather have the more important reports (such as hacking) be dealt with, instead of having 5-10 one-off slurs flood the report feed, especially if nobody in the server felt the need to report it. If you notice reports that haven't been dealt with the day of, they are usually followed by a mass reporting spree. Ultimately, we are responsible for looking at all of the reports, but having a bunch of them come in at once for trivial shit nobody on the server had a problem with inconveniences the team, as selfish as that sounds.

Node

Thank you, an actual intelligent contribution to the conversation instead of childishly reacting "dumb".

I understand the overloading and that it can bury more serious issues. However, from what I've found with my reports are that some people continue to break the rules (racism) even when continually banned. If someone isn't going to take the server rules seriously and continue to break them, then that needs to be handled.

This suggestion is to limit reports. It has no benefit other possibly burying older reports which will eventually be taken care of.

• Dumb

Italian Doctor

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
Thank you, an actual intelligent contribution to the conversation instead of childishly reacting "dumb".

I understand the overloading and that it can bury more serious issues. However, from what I've found with my reports are that some people continue to break the rules (racism) even when continually banned. If someone isn't going to take the server rules seriously and continue to break them, then that needs to be handled.

This suggestion is to limit reports. It has no benefit other possibly burying older reports which will eventually be taken care of.
trivial shit nobody on the server had a problem with

Node

Yes thank you, you know how to quote. Just because someone doesn't have a problem with it doesn't make it trivial. This is high school level thinking, if no one was in the forest when a tree fell it doesn't mean it didn't fall.

Let me give you a real world example:

If someone stole from a store and none of the employees had a problem with it, it tells the thief that what they did will not be challenged. They may then steal again or do something worse.

If we allow people to freely break the rules, then they get comfortable and will continue to do it with the fact they weren't punished prior as justification or "permission". What if they make an even edgier joke which disturbed some new players and they decided to not play on skial servers, and what if they tell their friends to avoid those servers because of the type of players on them?

Just because people didn't have an issue with it doesn't mean it isn't against the server rules.

• Love

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I really think even though N word is banned regardless of context, the report should be limited to people who have the context. Like, most of these people aren't even going to know they're banned because half the time they're gone from the server before the ban even gets enacted.

It just seems snitchy to sit here, searching chatlogs for anyone breaking a minor rule and then spam reporting once a day. To me, that seems like you take glee in getting people banned, and would weigh negatively impact my opinion of you if you were to apply for admin in the future.

I agree with the suggestion, but I more think spam reporting through the hlstats should simply be discouraged more than anything.

Node

it means it didn't affect anyone

many stores in north america have a 'no chase policy'
I know, that isn't the point of the example. The point was that:
it tells the thief that what they did will not be challenged. They may then steal again or do something worse.
And as its an example, the analogy I was making was that people who aren't punished for breaking the rules may:
get comfortable and will continue to do it with the fact they weren't punished prior as justification or "permission".
With this trail of thought, it is reasonable that (as they have already told themselves that what they didn't won't be punished) that them might make an:
even edgier joke which disturbed some new players and they decided to not play on skial servers, and what if they tell their friends to avoid those servers because of the type of players on them?

---------------------

The point I was making was that by allowing rules to be freely broken that we unnecessary risk allowing it in the rule breaker's eyes. I might not affect the immediate people, but it will affect people further down the line.

Node

I really think even though N word is banned regardless of context, the report should be limited to people who have the context. Like, most of these people aren't even going to know they're banned because half the time they're gone from the server before the ban even gets enacted.

It just seems snitchy to sit here, searching chatlogs for anyone breaking a minor rule and then spam reporting once a day. To me, that seems like you take glee in getting people banned, and would weigh negatively impact my opinion of you if you were to apply for admin in the future.

I agree with the suggestion, but I more think spam reporting through the hlstats should simply be discouraged more than anything.
Yes, going through the chat logs after the fact can be considered snitchy. But if a report is made when it happens then the person isn't actively searching for people to report.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Yes, going through the chat logs after the fact can be considered snitchy. But if a report is made when it happens then the person isn't actively searching for people to report.
Are you in the server for each of the reports you've made? Do you know the context around it? You know, sometimes it's ok if someone breaks the rules if an admin isn't present and it doesn't like lead to any harm.

Like, did you really get offended by the dude calling out the guy for using the n word?

I just think that the people in the server should be making the conscious effort to report people instead of people outside of it. Friendlying is banned, but I rarely inform an admin unless the friendlies are trying to ban people / being overly annoying. If they aren't disrupting the server, and especially if they are yelling at someone else to stop doing it, it might not really require admin intervention.

Reactions: Blade D_Hero

Node

Are you in the server for each of the reports you've made? Do you know the context around it? You know, sometimes it's ok if someone breaks the rules if an admin isn't present and it doesn't like lead to any harm.

Like, did you really get offended by the dude calling out the guy for using the n word?

I just think that the people in the server should be making the conscious effort to report people instead of people outside of it. Friendlying is banned, but I rarely inform an admin unless the friendlies are trying to ban people / being overly annoying. If they aren't disrupting the server, and especially if they are yelling at someone else to stop doing it, it might not really require admin intervention.
I make reports as they happen.

Personally, I don't report friendlying unless they get extremely aggressive with people killing them. The difference between using the n word and friendlying is the later just affects a game while the former dehumanizes an entire race. Using the n word can, will, and has negatively affected people mentally and makes people feel unwanted. And when no one reports them, then it just confirms to the person who was hurt that this is allowable and normal.

Yes, I am offended by the use of the n word because it shows a glimpse of the person's actual personality.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I make reports as they happen.

Personally, I don't report friendlying unless they get extremely aggressive with people killing them. The difference between using the n word and friendlying is the later just affects a game while the former dehumanizes an entire race. Using the n word can, will, and has negatively affected people mentally and makes people feel unwanted. And when no one reports them, then it just confirms to the person who was hurt that this is allowable and normal.

Yes, I am offended by the use of the n word because it shows a glimpse of the person's actual personality.
So you were in each server for each of the N words you reported, and weren't going through hlstats and searching said word to report people?

Just trying to get some clarity here.

Node

So you were in each server for each of the N words you reported, and weren't going through hlstats and searching said word to report people?

Just trying to get some clarity here.
This isn't really related to the suggestion of limiting reports. But to humor you, no I am not going through the the stats site and "ctrl-f" or searching for racism:
proof1.png

My reports are made when they happen or a minute after to give me time to grab the chat when it happened.

Node

Looks like we're already there.
Not sure what point you're making unless you're trying to change the meaning of those 2 unrelated statements.

The first statement was whether we should be limiting reports. I made that when the idea of limiting to 5 reports was on the table and I said that (and the text you cut out) as that would allow issues to fall through the cracks.

The second statement was in response to Antamania saying they don't report friendlies and I said I don't either unless they get aggressive. I made that to show them that I don't consider friendlying and using the n word as the same level of offense.

So like I said, those 2 quotes are not related and you took them out of context.