• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

arugula

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Contributor
I had my name as "Journey - Don't Stop Believing" and I got kicked with the message "Please change your name" or something to that effect. Just wondering why? Do you guys hate Journey?

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
Do you guys hate Journey?
yes, but that's probably not the reason you were kicked

joking around aside, I have no idea what happened.
did you try changing your name mid-game? I can't remember if that's related to a possible cause

Last edited:

arugula

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Contributor
yes, but that's probably not the reason you were kicked

joking around aside, I have no idea what happened.
did you try changing your name mid-game? I can't remember if that's related to a possible cause
I don' think I did. I remember I went afk for a minute and I came back to that message, maybe that had something to do with it?

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
I remember I went afk for a minute and I came back to that message, maybe that had something to do with it?
that may have had something to do with it. the servers have an AFK plugin that, among other things, adds "AFK" to your name. I think that if the new name that results is too long for the system, you get kicked with "Please change your name" as the reason.

@Bottiger should have a more concrete answer, so I'm tagging him so that he sees this

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Did your name have any special characters in it?

If so some special characters may mess with sourcebans and I've heard the server will auto kick you because of it

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
No it was just regular characters

Sometimes people are kicked for having non-alphanumeric characters in their name.
In your case, the - in your name might've been causing this issue.
I'm not fully sure why it happens, so this is still a might.

However there are many reports of people being kicked for having | in their name... when others have it without issue.
I think it's just something to do with how your name converts into one of the encodings that is used by sourcemod/sourcebans.
I realise that your name "Auto-Tree" contains the - character, but again... sometimes it has no problem with it.

Hopefully this helps you.
Though - as a side note, since we're talking about your name, please don't use "I'm Admin" as your name.
tf [U:1:38265885] I'm Admin 10/09/2016 - 11:15:42 AM - 16 days ago
It could be misleading to people on the server, or worst case scenario getting you banned for admin impersonation.