Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
My keyboard was working fine a couple days ago and now, it won't work at all. I checked my device manager and it turns out the keyboard device is gone. I rolled back my computer twice and it still didn't show up. I've tried looking for a download for the default driver but I can't seem to find it. Anyone think they can help?

jwso

Australian Skial God
Contributor
what keyboard is it

and don't tell me it's some bad keyboard because then i won't be able to help you

Sheev_Palpatine

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Windows 10.
I seen a couple forum posts from people who had issues with their drivers after upgrading to Windows 10. A lot of them had their problems fixed by redownloading the updated drivers for their hardware. Using the original might not work.

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'm not sure which one to use since they're all for the function keys. The driver itself for my keyboard is gone. If I unplug my USB one, the keyboard section disappears. Is there anyway to redownload the actual default driver?

Sheev_Palpatine

Legendary Skial King
Contributor

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Try booting in safe mode and see if the keyboard works. Mash F8 after you start the computer, before windows loads. See if the keyboard works in safe mode.

Keyboard drivers are pretty generic. Windows should be loading a generic driver to make the keyboard work. Try booting into BIOS, when your computer starts, mash F1, Return, or Delete, it depends on what computer manufacturer you have. See if the keyboard is working to navigate through BIOS. If THAT doesn't work, I am betting that 1. the keyboard's connection to the motherboard may need to be re-seated, or 2. the keyboard is bad and needs to be replaced. If the keyboard doesn't work there, it is not a driver issue because Windows isn't loaded yet. This is usually a relatively cheap and easy fix.

Hope that helps.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'll attempt it and see what happens. Thanks.
Define "keyboard driver is not there". Go to your device manager, expand "Keyboards" section, take a screenshot and post it here.

Also, what happens when you perform "Scan for hardware changes" action?
Finally, did the issue happen right after you had installed Windows 10 or some time after that?

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Define "keyboard driver is not there". Go to your device manager, expand "Keyboards" section, take a screenshot and post it here.

Also, what happens when you perform "Scan for hardware changes" action?
Finally, did the issue happen right after you had installed Windows 10 or some time after that?
I mean the entire section is gone. Nonexistent. When I plug my USB keyboard in, it shows up and lists the USB keyboard. But other than that, the entire keyboard section is gone. I've scanned for hardware changed and nothing happens. I've also had Windows 10 for a while now and this just showed up a few days ago. As for the fix that @chuckwagon mentioned, it didn't work.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I mean the entire section is gone. Nonexistent. When I plug my USB keyboard in, it shows up and lists the USB keyboard. But other than that, the entire keyboard section is gone. I've scanned for hardware changed and nothing happens. I've also had Windows 10 for a while now and this just showed up a few days ago. As for the fix that @chuckwagon mentioned, it didn't work.

I wasn't really providing a fix, I was providing a troubleshooting step to see if it is a hardware issue.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
So now you can't even type on your laptop with its native keyboard?

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Anyhow, making long story short.. If your OS doesn't even recognize the presence of a keyboard - sorry to say that, bud, but your keyboard is most likely fried.
It would be much faster if you order a replacement keyboard and simply replace it.

Replacing a keybaord on C855 is a 10 minutes process (it's similar to C655):

Keyboard could be bought here:
  1. OEM - $40
  2. After market - $20