• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Obli

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
That's the point of a team based game.

Just play comp if pubs are not your thing.
At the end of the day, engineers building in mid is just a forward defence strategy.

It doesn't really make sense, though. I mean, no matter how we try to put it, Team Fortress 2 is not a 'team based game' in community servers and pubs. In pubs, player don't rely on their teams in majority, because there is rarely a coordinated effort to begin with, that, and most players who play in pubs are new and/or inexperienced, which is completely fine. If I wasn't okay with that aspect, I would be playing comp more than I would be playing pubs. You take the pub aspect and you just apply the team based aspect to it that sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't. People don't join pubs to play team-based, they join pubs because they want to either have fun casually or just relax and not play seriously. Engis camping on mid incite a coordinated effort from their own team, when people see that an engi is building shit on mid, they feel more encouraged to help him and as such they coordinate with the engi without even knowing about it. That, is a coordinated effort. The same coordination cannot be expected from the enemy team.

It's not 'just' a forward defense strategy, either. I don't think it's a defense strategy at all. Keeping people from leaving their base is by no means what I would call a 'defense' strategy, it's just being a huge dick to a team that has a few good players that won't be able to enjoy the game simply because their team won't make the effort to get out. Because it's a pub. Because team play has such little value in pubs. And if I was really interested in coordinated efforts, I would play comp more and I have in the past, I'm not disagreeing with you on that. Engi on mid is far more offensive than anything towards new, inexperienced and disorganized players, things you find in pubs ALL the time. That's what pubs are about, and again, I have NOTHING against that. I don't blame people for not knowing how to counter engi on mid.

Here is the scenario: Mid frees up, engi builds on mid, his team focuses on the intel area, people on the defending team go sniper/spy/classes that are meant to one-shot, one or two good players try to fend off the incoming team, it doesn't work out because the other team FORCES their coordinatioon and the defending team just doesn't due to a lack of experienced players or simply team-aware ones, enemy team gets to the intel, spawncamps for a bit, wins the game, no scramble, same shit happens until there is a scramble.

I've played on Skial servers for 3 years now, both in EU and NA servers and it's always the exact same shit. I don't hate engi. I LOVE engi when he's in the intel, I absolutely love it. But I hate it when people camp mid, ruin everyone else's fun because THEY wanted to have fun. If my fun came at the expense of other people's fun, I wouldn't do it.

Lmao no, wanting to remove a class from an official map makes you look like an idiot
Honestly, not even going to bother with you as it seems like you would enjoy the attention you get from my insults. If you want to be mad because you said something utterly idiotic after not reading the thread, so be it, see if I care.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
Skial servers are meant to be as close to the vanilla experience as possible, and as such, don't place restrictions on classes or the map (aside from fast respawn and 32 player servers). Limiting engineers from building on 1/3 of the map is NOT the vanilla experience.

Up until this post I've never seen people complain about sentries on mid (aside from the occasional "wow dick move engie" in chat), and although I don't spend too much time on the Turbine servers, you seem to be overblowing the situation. Nobody tends to leave if an engine builds on mid, so "ruining everyone's fun" doesn't exactly count as an argument since player counts stay relatively the same. In addition to that, I've yet to see any other TF2 server running Turbine include any engineer restrictions, so this clearly isn't a widespread problem.

ly_dee

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I also have thousands of hours on skial turbine and you're literally the only person i've seen complaining so damn hard about engies camping mid.
I can assure you nothing will be done about that and you will have to deal with it, sadly.

courtsnort♩♪♫♬

Banned
Contributor
Okay so you're too retarded to play a team game as a team, come here to cry about your team not being able to kill engineers, claim you're an uber pro who can kill engineers no problem, yet refuse to kill said engineers so your team can advance, and claim the class needs to be removed or limited because you're too lazy to put effort into helping your team kill sentries?

PHEW LAD LMAO

Reedgreat

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Taking engie off of Turbine is like taking sniper off of 2Fort: People will have nothing better to do than friendly, and we all know what happens on skial if you friendly...

Obli

Skial servers are meant to be as close to the vanilla experience as possible, and as such, don't place restrictions on classes or the map (aside from fast respawn and 32 player servers). Limiting engineers from building on 1/3 of the map is NOT the vanilla experience.

Up until this post I've never seen people complain about sentries on mid (aside from the occasional "wow dick move engie" in chat), and although I don't spend too much time on the Turbine servers, you seem to be overblowing the situation. Nobody tends to leave if an engine builds on mid, so "ruining everyone's fun" doesn't exactly count as an argument since player counts stay relatively the same. In addition to that, I've yet to see any other TF2 server running Turbine include any engineer restrictions, so this clearly isn't a widespread problem.

I also have thousands of hours on skial turbine and you're literally the only person i've seen complaining so damn hard about engies camping mid.
I can assure you nothing will be done about that and you will have to deal with it, sadly.

I play with regulars all the time. Some of them openly say 'I am not going to defend the engi, you can go ahead and kill him' because even to them, engis on mid make the game stale. I can actually bring you people that are tired of engis building on mid; but how would that reinforce my argument? You haven't demonstrated that anything I've said is factually wrong. And simply because some people don't STATE it doesn't mean that they don't feel a certain way. Nor are we discussing the prevalence of that opinion, but the situation itself and how utterly unfair it is for players on the opposing team. Most players on skial turbine don't browse the forum and don't bother posting here. In my 3 years of playing on Skial servers, I only ever used the forum to post reports and never got involved, it doesn't mean that I hold many opinions regarding different things.

And with due respect, I have NEVER seen ANYONE play on Skial because they wanted a 'vanilla' experience. Just because something is vanilla doesn't mean that we should blindly copy and paste it when it's fundamentally flawed in terms of balancing. Turbine is a small map with tons of sniper sightlines for instance, but you can still kill the snipers, it still has a challenge to it. There is still something for you to do in this 'vanilla' experience, and we're really going back to my initial point here. Tell me; you play a valve pub, on any map, you find that a few engis are camping your spawn and your team is too clueless to do anything; what do you do? Do you keep playing and keep feeding them free kills, or do you just leave? It goes without question that anyone would take the second option without wasting their time. I play on community servers like Skial because I know that there is a higher frequency of 'good' players that aren't as clueless as the gibus players you find in Valve pubs, and there is more of a challenge in there. What I really mean to say here is that just because something is vanilla doesn't mean that it MUST be incorporated if it is fundamentally flawed at its core. And I have demonstrated how it is fundamentally flawed, and nobody has told me how it's not.

How can you say that nobody tends to leave when engis build on mid? I've seen people leave servers because the game was too stale, something the engis and the engis alone can cause. If a sniper headshots you, it still has some challenge to it. I never left a game because I died to some people, I took it as a challenge; and yet, where is the challenge when an aimbot reduces your fun to zero and traps you in your base? There is no reason for people to play if their team is unable to counter the engi. I also know that there are situations in which the engi does get countered, in a collective effort. Overblowing the situation would be pretending that engis on mid ALWAYS ruins games. Overblowing the situation would be being incapable of counter-intuitive thought and admitting that it's not always the case. People do leave. And even if they don't, you're not keeping in mind how disastrous it would be to someone who's not experienced in the game, getting killed over and over again with no reward, and them not being able to do anything. THIS is not always the case, I'm aware of that.

On the other side of things, there has never been a single argument as to how making mid a no-build zone would make anything disadvantageous. That has been the whole premise of this thread, and so far, everyone has been acting as if I said 'remove engi from skial turbine!'. No. I didn't say that, and I do think that engi is crucial in terms of defense. Where is the downside to making mid a no-build zone through the usage of plugins? The only argument I can form in my mind is that the cancerous engi campers wouldn't play on these servers anymore, which, as a player, is a good thing, but I can understand that Skial needs the traffic or something. Not sure though.

I don't understand why we are furthermore not discussing the things I've said and we're just pointing out how people don't say shit about it. And I just don't understand how it would hurt ANYONE to make mid a no-build zone. Engi still holds a CRUCIAL role in intel defending while people can freely contest mid in a fair manner. I'm not against sound reasoning as to why my point of view is flawed, I welcome it, but to say that I am overblowing this is just out of proportion and serves unfairly to discredit my argument in the first place.

Okay so you're too retarded to play a team game as a team, come here to cry about your team not being able to kill engineers, claim you're an uber pro who can kill engineers no problem, yet refuse to kill said engineers so your team can advance, and claim the class needs to be removed or limited because you're too lazy to put effort into helping your team kill sentries?

PHEW LAD LMAO

Again, you seem to exhibit amazing skills at being an idiot and not reading a single thing I've said in the thread. I have said many times that engi in itself is not flawed as a class, and that I don't want to remove the class from the server.

But at this point, it's clear you're only trying to bait me to insult you because you got demolished for acting like an idiot and skipped reading the thread. You're not bringing forward any legitimate points, you're not discussing with me, you're only here to try to take the piss out of me. I'm better than that, so I'll just ask you to stop embarrassing yourself with your half-assed posts and your idiotic rambling. If you love to be insulted over the internet and ridiculed, I won't help you with that. Be immature elsewhere as this is a serious discussion to which you brought absolutely nothing.

Taking engie off of Turbine is like taking sniper off of 2Fort: People will have nothing better to do than friendly, and we all know what happens on skial if you friendly...
I don't necessarily agree with that analogy, but I can understand where you're coming from. Although, I disagree. I know tons of people that I can name that seem to have fun playing on Turbine mid, most of them being regulars I stumble upon that don't play engi on mid and still have fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Defibyoulater

Tyknighter

Positively Inhumane Poster
I play with regulars all the time. Some of them openly say 'I am not going to defend the engi, you can go ahead and kill him' because even to them, engis on mid make the game stale. I can actually bring you people that are tired of engis building on mid; but how would that reinforce my argument? You haven't demonstrated that anything I've said is factually wrong. And simply because some people don't STATE it doesn't mean that they don't feel a certain way. Nor are we discussing the prevalence of that opinion, but the situation itself and how utterly unfair it is for players on the opposing team. Most players on skial turbine don't browse the forum and don't bother posting here. In my 3 years of playing on Skial servers, I only ever used the forum to post reports and never got involved, it doesn't mean that I hold many opinions regarding different things.

How can you say that nobody tends to leave when engis build on mid? I've seen people leave servers because the game was too stale, something the engis and the engis alone can cause. If a sniper headshots you, it still has some challenge to it. I never left a game because I died to some people, I took it as a challenge; and yet, where is the challenge when an aimbot reduces your fun to zero and traps you in your base? There is no reason for people to play if their team is unable to counter the engi. I also know that there are situations in which the engi does get countered, in a collective effort. Overblowing the situation would be pretending that engis on mid ALWAYS ruins games. Overblowing the situation would be being incapable of counter-intuitive thought and admitting that it's not always the case. People do leave. And even if they don't, you're not keeping in mind how disastrous it would be to someone who's not experienced in the game, getting killed over and over again with no reward, and them not being able to do anything. THIS is not always the case, I'm aware of that.

On the other side of things, there has never been a single argument as to how making mid a no-build zone would make anything disadvantageous. That has been the whole premise of this thread, and so far, everyone has been acting as if I said 'remove engi from skial turbine!'. No. I didn't say that, and I do think that engi is crucial in terms of defense. Where is the downside to making mid a no-build zone through the usage of plugins? The only argument I can form in my mind is that the cancerous engi campers wouldn't play on these servers anymore, which, as a player, is a good thing, but I can understand that Skial needs the traffic or something. Not sure though.

I don't understand why we are furthermore not discussing the things I've said and we're just pointing out how people don't say shit about it. And I just don't understand how it would hurt ANYONE to make mid a no-build zone. Engi still holds a CRUCIAL role in intel defending while people can freely contest mid in a fair manner. I'm not against sound reasoning as to why my point of view is flawed, I welcome it, but to say that I am overblowing this is just out of proportion and serves unfairly to discredit my argument in the first place.

Again, you seem to exhibit amazing skills at being an idiot and not reading a single thing I've said in the thread. I have said many times that engi in itself is not flawed as a class, and that I don't want to remove the class from the server.

But at this point, it's clear you're only trying to bait me to insult you because you got demolished for acting like an idiot and skipped reading the thread. You're not bringing forward any legitimate points, you're not discussing with me, you're only here to try to take the piss out of me. I'm better than that, so I'll just ask you to stop embarrassing yourself with your half-assed posts and your idiotic rambling. If you love to be insulted over the internet and ridiculed, I won't help you with that. Be immature elsewhere as this is a serious discussion to which you brought absolutely nothing.

I don't necessarily agree with that analogy, but I can understand where you're coming from. Although, I disagree. I know tons of people that I can name that seem to have fun playing on Turbine mid, most of them being regulars I stumble upon that don't play engi on mid and still have fun.
Ok look I know I made a comment saying we should make a class cap on this problem but I later remembered I hated class cap so that comment that I made was point less. But there are things we like and don't like I hate how on 2fort you can build sentry's in the intel room and it's so small it's hard to get it but I don't bring it on the forms and complain because that would be a waste of time on my part, and I played some Turbine and I did see some sentry's go mid but I saw no one complain the only complaint I saw was some guy saying that this one Demo's sticky's camping one of there spawn door and killing people. The only thing I have to say is, suck it up.

Obli

Ok look I know I made a comment saying we should make a class cap on this problem but I later remembered I hated class cap so that comment that I made was point less. But there are things we like and don't like I hate how on 2fort you can build sentry's in the intel room and it's so small it's hard to get it but I don't bring it on the forms and complain because that would be a waste of time on my part, and I played some Turbine and I did see some sentry's go mid but I saw no one complain the only complaint I saw was some guy saying that this one Demo's sticky's camping one of there spawn door and killing people. The only thing I have to say is, suck it up.

But that's still not it. With due respect, you're completely discarding every single point I've made without addressing the main issue. I'm not here to tell you that people hate it or don't hate it, I'm speaking of how fundamentally flawed it is. I'm speaking of the concept in itself. Of course a lot of people are going to defend their point of view by saying 'suck up to it', these same people get a kick out of camping mid as engi as well without advancing any points, a LOT of people here do enjoy doing that while it's fundamentally flawed (and I am not pointing it out to anyone who discussed it with me on this thread, don't take any offense to that). I don't understand the 2fort analogy. Your comparison is like me saying that engi is unfair in the intel room. It's not. That's the class's entire point of defending the intel at play here, without ruining people's fun or shutting down a major aspect of the map. It doesn't keep your team from doing anything, it doesn't hurt clueless players or ruin their fun. None of what you said addresses any of my points.

Tyknighter

Positively Inhumane Poster
But that's still not it. With due respect, you're completely discarding every single point I've made without addressing the main issue. I'm not here to tell you that people hate it or don't hate it, I'm speaking of how fundamentally flawed it is. I'm speaking of the concept in itself. Of course a lot of people are going to defend their point of view by saying 'suck up to it', these same people get a kick out of camping mid as engi as well without advancing any points, a LOT of people here do enjoy doing that while it's fundamentally flawed (and I am not pointing it out to anyone who discussed it with me on this thread, don't take any offense to that). I don't understand the 2fort analogy. Your comparison is like me saying that engi is unfair in the intel room. It's not. That's the class's entire point of defending the intel at play here, without ruining people's fun or shutting down a major aspect of the map. It doesn't keep your team from doing anything, it doesn't hurt clueless players or ruin their fun. None of what you said addresses any of my points.
Now I see where you are going with what you saying here, hell you can place sentry's in the water in 2fort and they are just as a problem as they are in the intel room. I am not saying that Engi is unfair in the intel room, I know it's a defense class and that's what the Engi is trying to do, he or she is trying to defend it's not the class's or the player's fault I think it has to do more with the map at hand then anything else, however I don't really care what map I play I just want to have fun and chat with people so even if I had those problems on 2fort and Turbine it's not going to bother me to much to complain about it in chat or on the mic

Silver Ag

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
limiting a class option is a bad idea. People have different idea's of fun and trying to make everyone happy in a server is purely idealistic. Why should you be the judge on what type of fun is allowed or not?

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
Maybe you should get some more support for this if what you're saying is such a problem on Turbine.

Ask the regulars to voice their opinion in this thread, because right now only you are for it.

Obli

limiting a class option is a bad idea. People have different idea's of fun and trying to make everyone happy in a server is purely idealistic. Why should you be the judge on what type of fun is allowed or not?

I am by no means defining what fun 'is' and 'is not'. Hell, I admitted many times throughout the thread that people do find it fun to camp mid. Trying to make everyone happy is indeed idealistic, but limiting the unfairness in map design and class abuse is something completely different. It really comes down to this; do we really prioritize the fun ONE person will have over the fun an entire group of 10-11-12 people do? When an engi camps mid, yes, he is having fun, but that comes at the expense of the team he is camping. I am not giving definitions of 'fun', I am merely pointing out to the blatant elephant in the room at this point. I'm simply stating that there is a lot of unfairness entertained by this 'fun'. And that one's fun can and does limit the fun of other people. It's like someone has a lot of power and their power comes at the expense of other people's capacities and potential, then you say 'Well, who are we to define who is strong and who is not?'. That's why I'm having this discussion; to communicate the point of view that there must be some sort of balance here.

How is it a bad idea when it disables other people from having fun? For the fifth time already, I am NOT against engi as a class. I love engis in the intel, and I can stand them on mid when my team is made up of people that know how to counter that. But it's a pub, you rarely get people who have an idea of what to do in a pub. If you can limit the amount of unfairness while minimizing the toll it takes, why not? If Skial mimics the unfairness that can be found in a pub, then why play there in the first place? What makes it different than your good old stacked koth_viaduct valve pub then? Not that much.

I'm not the judge on this. I am stating my opinion. The judges on this are the skial admins and whoever regulates server plugins. It's a suggestion that I am debating here because I want to see it happen. Nobody has provided any negative impact it would have on servers as a whole, either. Most of the arguments posted here consisted of: "Nobody is complaining about it, so it's not an issue", which could not be further from the truth. It's just like when they changed the EU turbine server to EU+ with no replacement and people with shitty PCs had a very hard time playing on their favorite server because of framedrops; nobody actually went ahead and openly complained about it, it was a general annoyance, though. Only that this time, it's a general annoyance that benefits one or two persons, and hurts the entire server.

Now, nobody has told me how it would cause harm to limit engi to building anywhere that is NOT mid. I'm still waiting for that.

Obli

Maybe you should get some more support for this if what you're saying is such a problem on Turbine.

Ask the regulars to voice their opinion in this thread, because right now only you are for it.

I asked Antamania to post here, but he told me it would be 'hopeless'. I could probably get people to post here about how unfair it is, but how do I know that it'll have any effect at all? Especially when Anta told me that he tried his hardest to get Bottiger to make what I suggested a reality, but he refused.

This whole discussion here is to make the point of view I hold more understandable. Maybe the admins will see reason in what I say, but that's perhaps too naive of me.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
Honestly what you are suggesting will make people leave and find another Turbine server that allows it.

We try to have servers as Vanilla as possible, because that is what people want.

Obli

Honestly what you are suggesting will make people leave and find another Turbine server that allows it.

We try to have servers as Vanilla as possible, because that is what people want.

That is one of the only drawbacks I had in mind about all of this.

As someone who plays Turbine a lot, I once stopped playing on Skial servers because there were too many engis on there. I switched over to another server for a while because it had no sentries, and that's when I felt like there was a legitimate experience. The server went down after a while, so I returned to Skial servers. Whenever I join a Turbine pub with an engi on mid, I prefer to just leave and join another server, because I know that chances are I won't get what I want out of that game.

The point I'm trying to make here is that while some people would look for other servers that allow mid-camping, I'm sure that there are people like me who prefer an experience free from aimbot camping on mid.

Is there any other drawback, in your opinion? I can't argue much against what you said because it makes sense to me, even as a player.

Obli

what server, i'm curious
Not sure if I'm allowed to openly say the name of the server as it would probably count for advertising a competitor. The server itself had no rules over engis camping, but there was just way less engis there than anywhere I stumbled upon. It was an EU server but they have a NY branch now, it seems, I just looked them up.

Obli

lol skial has no competition, but yeah you're allowed to say it

Well, if you say so. The server was called 'UberMe', that's when I was playing back in EU. I mistook it for another turbine server (UGC-Gaming) when I mentioned it here, since it's been a while now. But I recall that UberMe was always clean and without engis on mid for some reason, which is why I played there a lot back then. UGC-Gaming still has some engis here and there, but not as much as Skial, which is why I also have it in my server browser list.

If any mod/admin thinks I am breaking any rule, just remove my post.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I would be happy if we did this - but I knew that it was pretty pointless to ask. When it gets too cancerous, I just bail. I simply don't defend the engies on my team doing it, and actively only go for the engies doing it on enemy team. Sometimes asking them politely to not do it works, but I don't think it's a wise idea based on the rest of the servers.

I don't want to hurt your points because again, this would make my experience on turbine 500x better, and I wouldn't find myself leaving so much. But, the fact that this is a widespread thing on that turbine means that a lot of people do it. It means that there are regulars who really enjoy building middle, so we shouldn't hurt their experience either, even if there are a lot of regulars who hate it. Just go demo, tell a friend to pocket you, and just do nothing but camp the engi until they swap off the class.

Again, I'm not against, in fact, I'm for, I just know this has no chance of happening, for the reasons above.

Edit:
and to emphasize, I wasn't pushing for middle being cordoned off a long time ago, I was pushing for class limits on engi - I just know that Skial is hesitant to do anything to modify default other than spawn timers/alltalk.