Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I couldn't find a mod to move my original thread and this looks like a deeper issue so I'm reposting it here

Out of the blue here I've been having some random internet issues that affect all devices connected to the internet in my household.

Skial's Saxton Hale US TF2 server fails to connect every time and I'm having some random websites timing out when trying to connect. For example, Gravatar, the place I use for my avatars doesn't load up on any devices in my house, yet when I turn off my phone's wifi and use 3G for internet access it connects to websites just fine. It doesn't effect all websites, only a few random ones. The ones that are effected refuse to load up, while all the other websites work fine.

Entirely disabling my firewall and anti-virus has no effect and restarting my router has no effect.

Any ideas?

185db

Epic Skial Regular
This has actually been happening to me a lot lately. That's very very odd.

Illuminati

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I couldn't find a mod to move my original thread and this looks like a deeper issue so I'm reposting it here

Out of the blue here I've been having some random internet issues that affect all devices connected to the internet in my household.

Skial's Saxton Hale US TF2 server fails to connect every time and I'm having some random websites timing out when trying to connect. For example, Gravatar, the place I use for my avatars doesn't load up on any devices in my house, yet when I turn off my phone's wifi and use 3G for internet access it connects to websites just fine. It doesn't effect all websites, only a few random ones. The ones that are effected refuse to load up, while all the other websites work fine.

Entirely disabling my firewall and anti-virus has no effect and restarting my router has no effect.

Any ideas?
What kind of internet do you have? Is it cable? Is your cable modem also a router? Some of your symptoms sound like they could be caused by double-NAT issues. As in your cable modem/router is translating addresses, then your home router is translating again.

EDIT:
Other troubleshooting ideas:

Try pinging and tracrouting to the addresses you are having problems with see what those say.
Try ipconfig /flushdns
Try power cycling your modem too

Last edited:

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
What kind of internet do you have? Is it cable? Is your cable modem also a router? Some of your symptoms sound like they could be caused by double-NAT issues. As in your cable modem/router is translating addresses, then your home router is translating again.

I'm a complete dumb ass when it comes to internet related hardware and things of that sort so bear with me here

I'm assuming its cable internet since our ISP has checked our neighborhoods 'lines' when we were having internet troubles sometime back. And I believe the router and modem are separate.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I'm a complete dumb ass when it comes to internet related hardware and things of that sort so bear with me here

I'm assuming its cable internet since our ISP has checked our neighborhoods 'lines' when we were having internet troubles sometime back. And I believe the router and modem are separate.
This is a simple cable modem, it usually has only one Ethernet out that can go to your router.
motorola-SURFboard-SB6121-front-lg.jpg

A fancier cable modem can do routing/switching and NAT too.

k2-_210e1bb6-a09c-41d4-880d-199575786cdf.v1.jpg

You network can do some weird things if your modem and your router are both trying to translate addresses. Also another issue may be DHCP. DHCP is dynamically handing out IP addresses. Normally it works great, but if your modem and router are handing out addresses in different networks that could be a problem.

One other thing to try. Change your DNS server. It is probably your ISP's by default. You can try putting in 8.8.8.8 which is Google's. ISP's sometimes mess with name resolution by hijacking failed searches and stuff, but I doubt they would be screwing things up this badly. But I guess it doesn't hurt to rule it out.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor

Also, if it is a coaxial cable that goes into the modem, then you have cable.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
EDIT:
Other troubleshooting ideas:

Try pinging and tracrouting to the addresses you are having problems with see what those say.
Try ipconfig /flushdns
Try power cycling your modem too

After flushing my DNS and doing a power cycle the websites are working again and I can connect to saxton hale. That seemed to of fixed it

Thanks for your help Chuckwagon, very much appreciated

Here's a cat gif for your help

JlfGPaK.gif