ProbeX

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'm not sure what UMA is. (under Graphics) anyone with more knowledge care to indulge?
UMA means Unified Memory Architecture, and essentially boils down to the "shared memory" you mention. The thing is, even though you have 4Gb to play with a UMA card is still slower than one with dedicated memory.

As well as running slower (main system memory is slower than dedicated graphics RAM) it uses the same buses within the system to transfer data around. As a result, heavy graphics use will slow down the overall speed of the system.

Hard to say exactly how good or otherwise it is as it depends on the actual make of the card, motherboard and what you intend to use it for. The majority of laptops use these, though, so they're obviously not complete rubbish. Just don't expect it to play the latest games at all well. Fine for application use, though.

SarcasticWisdom

Australian Skial God
Contributor
UMA means Unified Memory Architecture, and essentially boils down to the "shared memory" you mention. The thing is, even though you have 4Gb to play with a UMA card is still slower than one with dedicated memory.

As well as running slower (main system memory is slower than dedicated graphics RAM) it uses the same buses within the system to transfer data around. As a result, heavy graphics use will slow down the overall speed of the system.

Hard to say exactly how good or otherwise it is as it depends on the actual make of the card, motherboard and what you intend to use it for. The majority of laptops use these, though, so they're obviously not complete rubbish. Just don't expect it to play the latest games at all well. Fine for application use, though.
I just want to play my games, like Terraria, TF2, Half Life games and Css. I could care less about graphics. I've been playing tf2 on low graphics so long, when I see it in Hi-Rez, it looks weird

ProbeX

Australian Skial God
Contributor
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus - 15.6" Laptop - 8GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive - IMR Matte Dark Brown Suit/5396361.p?id=1218642239510&skuId=5396361

I like this one..but idk what do you guys think, I can throw down a few more bucks for upgrades. I g2g because family stuff, we can discuss more on the 26th. Thank you all, you can keep leaving suggestions
your not gonna get the performance you want trying to play games on an average laptop, the speeds are fine, but when under moderate to heavy graphics it will slow down a lot.