Tomatketchup

Banned
Contributor
I was born 1994. That was the same year as Windows NT 3.5 was released. This is how it looked like:
01.gif

The next year A Goofy Movie was released. In 1996 the first Pokemon games were released. In the 90s online multiplayer was starting to get popular. The year I was born it had almost been 3 years since the Soviet Union dissolved. Top notch graphics in the 90s looked like this:
myst_2.jpg

I have thought about the technological advancements mankind have succeeded with before, but today I really started to think about it after reading this:
http://io9.com/5914618/could-a-private-corporation-like-spacex-land-the-first-humans-on-mars

Is it just me that's... scared? I'm not even 20 yet. I was born when the best graphics were in Star Fox SNES 3D and now, before I even get to drink alcohol legally, there's plans on sending people to mine on fucking asteroids (I'm refering to the space project involving Google and some other guys, not the above article). The best graphics today look - well, not precisely like real life, we're not there yet - but still fairly stunning.

Technically, we are able to travel to Mars and set up a base there. Technically we can control the weather (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoengineering, there are just some political problems). I can talk to a fucking guy in China (why I would want to do that though I don't know) directly from my home with barely any interference, whereas when I was born there was plenty of trouble before people could even get a stable connection.

But what just disturbs me the most is... what the fuck I might live to have both experienced A Goofy Movie being a new movie as well as the first men on Mars. Mind = blown. That's some fucking weird shit right there. No, seriously, think about it.

Some deep shit right here

[TC]CreepingDeath

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Yeah, well, I've been alive long enough that Star Trek: The Motion Picture was released not even a month after my birth. Space travel just makes sense to me.

Forget being scared to go to Mars. Let's hit up the stars!

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Hate to be a fatalist, but that's how I see the way human race is developing:

61201231143pmoxo.jpg

Human race is developing in helix. Vertical axis represents time. As you can see, everything repeats.
  • Point A - Egyptian civilization has reached its peak and got vanished;
  • Point B - Roman civilization has reached its peak and got vanished;
  • Point C - our civilization is going to reach its peak and get vanished.
  • I just had 3 leaps of the helix - that's why I didn't mention Atlantis and Maya civilizations.
  • All civilizations became victims of their own technological advance.
The way I see it, with this technological boom and almost uncontrolled technological advance, we are not that far from Point C.
Disclaimer: That's my own vision - it doesn't have to be an absolute truth.

Reactions: Very Elegant

Tomatketchup

Banned
Contributor
Hate to be a fatalist, but that's how I see the way human race is developing:

61201231143pmoxo.jpg

Human race is developing in helix. Vertical axis represents time. As you can see, everything repeats.
  • Point A - Egyptian civilization has reached its peak and got vanished;
  • Point B - Roman civilization has reached its peak and got vanished;
  • Point C - our civilization is going to reach its peak and get vanished.
  • I just had 3 leaps of the helix - that's why I didn't mention Atlantis and Maya civilizations.
  • All civilizations became victims of their own technological advance.
The way I see it, with this technological boom and almost uncontrolled technological advance, we are not that far from Point C.

Disclaimer: That's my own vision - it doesn't have to be an absolute truth.
I don't know, I'm no expert at past civilizations, but the Egyptian and Roman had far more similarities with each other than with our time, right?

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I don't know, I'm no expert at past civilizations, but the Egyptian and Roman had far more similarities with each other than with our time, right?
I'm not a professor of history either, but each civilization had their own bright moments. Egyptians have reached outstanding skills in medicine, Romans - in general sciences, Atlantis - in construction and mechanisms...

Lord Killington

Legendary Skial King
It's also possible we might get a "visit" (to quote Battleship) "It's gonna be like Columbus and the Indians. Only we're the Indians."

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
No, it was fake, Plato mentioned in his writing that it was a hypothetical city - thus why it wasn't really taken seriously until the what, 19th century?
Read the article I referred to. They elaborate on Plato's statements. In regards to why it has not been taken seriously for so long - humanity has been busy with wars throughout all this time.

Tomatketchup

Banned
Contributor
Read the article I referred to. They elaborate on Plato's statements. In regards to why it has not been taken seriously for so long - humanity has been busy with wars throughout all this time.
http://books.google.se/books?id=xSj...sult&redir_esc=y#v=snippet&q=atlantis&f=false

It's hypothetical talk. Again, the various periods of litterature during the 19th century could've made the island seem like it actually existed (some guy writes about Atlantis during the romanticism period, and then some guy that wrote realism books during the last half of the 19th century took it too seriously and started writing about it.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
http://books.google.se/books?id=xSjvowNydN8C&pg=PA12&dq=and when you were speaking yesterday about your city and citizens&hl=en&ei=c_hlTIiOLcOAlAfBgJmtDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&redir_esc=y#v=snippet&q=atlantis&f=false

It's hypothetical talk. Again, the various periods of litterature during the 19th century could've made the island seem like it actually existed (some guy writes about Atlantis during the romanticism period, and then some guy that wrote realism books during the last half of the 19th century took it too seriously and started writing about it.
If you'd like to discuss this topic, I'll be more then happy to revive it on Monday. I don't feel like spending (read: wasting) my weekend on Google trying to find supportive evidence :D