Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja_DC

Face-Melting F2Per
Once steam and TF2 can run natively onto linux I personally see no reason for me to boot into Fedora, most if not all of the time. edit, except steams being made for ubuntu as of right now

The poorest driver support for linux is probably graphic drivers but the step to run steam natively on linux will force AMD and Nvidia to create better supported, more stable and better performance driver updates.

As a learning programmer i like using a command line interface to complete actions which tends to be much for straightforward than the windows command prompt.

Another huge thing about linux is the huge customisability and themes in linux change the whole look of the GUI rather than crappy windows themes witch change your wallpaper and your taskbar colour.

Zeiss

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
I see the title.

I guess windows 8 will be good or one thing!

I assumed the OP had put target practice in some part of their sentence. DISAPPOINTED.

Steak

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
Once steam and TF2 can run natively onto linux I personally see no reason for me to boot into Fedora, most if not all of the time. edit, except steams being made for ubuntu as of right now

The poorest driver support for linux is probably graphic drivers but the step to run steam natively on linux will force AMD and Nvidia to create better supported, more stable and better performance driver updates.

As a learning programmer i like using a command line interface to complete actions which tends to be much for straightforward than the windows command prompt.

Another huge thing about linux is the huge customisability and themes in linux change the whole look of the GUI rather than crappy windows themes witch change your wallpaper and your taskbar colour.
nvidia works quite well with linux they have theyre own repo for drivers where as ati isnt so linux friendly..... and to play the devils advocate you can customize your ui on windows but requires several different hacks to allow changes to take place as i type this i run windows 7 but i run an entirely black theme'd windows ui with modified buttons including the orb

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor

Actually the poorest driver support is sound, people can't make up their minds between Alsa and Pulseaudio.

Also, I hope Steam really doesn't make it to JUST Ubuntu, what they should do is make a .bin file to run like Desura has for all distros.

I'm no programmer, but I do have the basics of Linux down, since I use it as my primary OS.

Doctor Who

Australian Skial God
Contributor
80% of residential users have and want to be restricted since usually they have no idea what they're doing. In addition, Linux will never dominate the residential market due to its complexity. Regular user needs to get home, turn his PC on, check his wall on the Facebook, twit some shit, check his email, watch some videos on Youtube, play Angry Birds and that's it.

Regular user doesn't have time / doesn't want to spend time on tweaking Linux.

Just live with that.

Unix is a father of everything. OS X is a mother of Mac OS.
Linux is a GUI version of Unix.

Simple. Open Source means that there is no centralized support regularly and community codes the patches voluntarily which brings in a delay in patching the vulnerabilities. It also adds additional mess in SDLC.
That's why businesses use Red Hat and other proprietary distributions of Linux. And that's why open-source sucks sometimes.

Not correct. The biggest advantage of *nix OS family is that it's a robust secure OS. Bringing in graphical interface (GUI) always brings an additional set of vulnerabilities and security holes (research why it's considered to be a best practice to have X Window module disabled).

PS: I lol'd reading this article originally posted at Microsoft's News Center: http://www.biznix.org/whylinux/microsoft1.htm
Thank you very much for summing points up. I believe the Metro interface on Windows 8 will be great precisely because of your first point that you wrote so well.

Steak

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
Thank you very much for summing points up. I believe the Metro interface on Windows 8 will be great precisely because of your first point that you wrote so well.
the only reason metro will do good is simply because of the cattle who do what theyre told because the guy in the blue shirt who makes 7.50 an hour tells them its good

Steak

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
ive had metro 8 for the better part of a year and the only part that makes it even remotely bearable is due to the kinect's motion sensing( yes im talking about xbox, and yes that is windows 8) if i wanted a big blocky interface id get one of the shitty microsoft tablets but i don't because i value my screen space

also dr. who your fanboyism is showing you might need to clean that up

KOS-MOS

Uncharitable Spy
An average computer user goes into a store looking for a new computer, does no research and TRUSTS the person selling them the computer to pick one out. They are usually satisfied with their computer for a few months until it starts running slowly, and is having issues. They then have to call a professional in to come and fix their computer

An experienced computer user, does research on individual parts, goes to the local computer part store or shops online, builds their computer from scratch and is satisfied with their computer until parts get old. If problems occur, they can usually fix it themselves or know someone who can help them.

I dual boot both Linux and Windows. I use Windows more because it's where I play all my games. Otherwise, I use Linux for everything else if possible. I've had people come up to me all the time when I have Linux running and ask "Oh, how did you customize Windows to look like that?" and have to explain it's not Windows. Also, as for the command line, it is moving more to experienced users only. Most things you'll need for the basic user can be found and installed automatically using the package manager. Also, if you need something that isn't available through the package manager, the company you are downloading it from usually has a step-by-step guide of how to install it on Linux. As soon as Linux can get an OS as user-friendly as Windows, with decent support, and are told that they can get it for free, Windows sales will drop. People are just too scared because it is something unfamiliar. I have installed Linux on 2 peoples computers because they have not wanted to pay for Windows because of their budget. After about 2-3 hours of teaching, they love it more then they ever did Windows.

Reactions: Doctor Who

Doctor Who

Australian Skial God
Contributor
ive had metro 8 for the better part of a year and the only part that makes it even remotely bearable is due to the kinect's motion sensing( yes im talking about xbox, and yes that is windows 8) if i wanted a big blocky interface id get one of the shitty microsoft tablets but i don't because i value my screen space

also dr. who your fanboyism is showing you might need to clean that up
I love Metro and I regret nothing. But I love it from a design standpoint. Is it better than the desktop? No. I've used every release of Windows 8 as my only OS since the Dev Preview last October, but I'm a "power user" so I use the desktop 99% of the time. You don't have to use the Metro interface. It's there for the average users. Nothing forces you to use it except for a few functions. There's absolutely no reason to whine about Windows 8. But it will get average PC users to stop whining about having to use Windows.

Steak

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
i fully agree as i said somewhere before i installed linux on my moms machine and her only prior experiance was if she needed something off of my machine and i wasnt there to get it for her now after almost a year she loves it and her machine runs much better with just what she needs and none of the other stuff

Steak

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
I love Metro and I regret nothing. But I love it from a design standpoint. Is it better than the desktop? No. I've used every release of Windows 8 as my only OS since the Dev Preview last October, but I'm a "power user" so I use the desktop 99% of the time. You don't have to use the Metro interface. It's there for the average users. Nothing forces you to use it except for a few functions. There's absolutely no reason to whine about Windows 8. But it will get average PC users to stop whining about having to use Windows.
from what ive been reading microsoft is working to get rid of the desktop portion of windows 8 and forcing you to use the other whatever youd call it there ripping appart legacy code to stop people from being able to hack backin the start bar the start button and other staples of the windows legacy from the past what 10 years or so they want everyone to have an interface that looks just like theyre tablet/phone/xbox with little to no variation between them

KOS-MOS

Uncharitable Spy
from what ive been reading microsoft is working to get rid of the desktop portion of windows 8 and forcing you to use the other whatever youd call it there ripping appart legacy code to stop people from being able to hack backin the start bar the start button and other staples of the windows legacy from the past what 10 years or so they want everyone to have an interface that looks just like theyre tablet/phone/xbox with little to no variation between them

I use Stardock to edit all my desktop stuff. I'm sure they'll find a way with Windows 8 too

KOS-MOS

Uncharitable Spy

Whilst we are aware that certain UI hacks enabled the Start Button and Menu in the Consumer Preview, Thurrott confirms that they will simply not work on the Release Preview that will be released later today.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

It works with the release preview, which that article says the ability is gone from. Your article is from May 31, 2012. Stardock's latest Beta shows working in July 2012

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I believe the Metro interface on Windows 8 will be great precisely because of your first point that you wrote so well.
People will be bitching up new Windows style just because of one simple fundamental reason: people hate changes. With time they'll get used to it and will like it even more than Aero.
An experienced computer user, does research on individual parts, goes to the local computer part store or shops online, builds their computer from scratch and is satisfied with their computer until parts get old. If problems occur, they can usually fix it themselves or know someone who can help them.
I consider myself to be an experienced user, but I would never build Linux-based rig for residential use. *nix systems were originally designed as NOS and should stay them. I love Linux, I like it... but only in enterprise environments. Why would you wanna have NOS at home? (just a rhetorical question).

KOS-MOS

Uncharitable Spy
I consider myself to be an experienced user, but I would never build Linux-based rig for residential use. *nix systems were originally designed as NOS and should stay them. I love Linux, I like it... but only in enterprise environments. Why would you wanna have NOS at home? (just a rhetorical question).

The point I was establishing there was that most people won't even look at Linux because they are afraid of change and because they have no idea what they are doing. You being an experienced user should have a better understanding of how to use Linux as I can see you have. I'm sure within 1-2 years, you will start seeing more residential use Linux environments because more and more people are moving into the experienced user category.

Status
Not open for further replies.