Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Who

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Holy Crap, if this works out and Valve brings tf2 and If TWI brings Kf To Linux, Me Getting a Commodore 64X maybe worth it.
I would definitely get a Commodore 64X from those dumbasses at Commodore USA if TF2 was on Ubuntu.

And if I had a thousand+ dollars.

Doctor Who

Australian Skial God
Contributor
linux and unix are brothers and then mac was a clone of unix and windows is well known for ripping off mac so ya ill leave that there
I've never heard of a Unix operating system before 1984 that used a GUI. All you said was a nonfact and a known fact. Doesn't change what I said.

Doctor Who

Australian Skial God
Contributor
quite a bit of work is done on linux when was the last time you installed it and poked around you appear to be speaking mistruths
I know that a lot of server software and associated things are done with it but it doesn't have the software base that Windows or even OSX has.

Steak

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
the only reason its been this slow in the realm of gaming is due mostly in part to the use of directx which microsoft keeps close to the chest. If most groups chose to use the much more open Opengl chances are we wouldnt be having this discussion

joemaster725

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Contributor
the only reason its been this slow in the realm of gaming is due mostly in part to the use of directx which microsoft keeps close to the chest. If most groups chose to use the much more open Opengl chances are we wouldnt be having this discussion
i also hate that nvidea plays nice with pretty much all distros, while radeon is a real pain to install drivers. i still cant get it to install correctly on my debian on my desktop!

Dono Spacey

Face-Melting F2Per
Read only the title can think of only one thing, Being the new Vista >:V

Edit due to disagree: OH we where talking about GOOD things, Nope cant think of any. Besides being a new way for windows to watch every-fucking-thing you do on your computer, and new and interesting ways of having loop holes in their base code.

Reactions: Drum and mohawkg2

Steak

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
Also dont understand why people love Linux so much (Never seen it in use, might be why)
its quite nice very stable and very easy to use if and i us if sparingly you know what your doing... and if setup correctly can be quite secure and as most viriuses cant hurt you as theyre not coded for that enviroment

joemaster725

Contributor
its quite nice very stable and very easy to use if and i us if sparingly you know what your doing... and if setup correctly can be quite secure and as most viriuses cant hurt you as theyre not coded for that enviroment
in fact,it is incredibly hard for linux to get a virus! which is why i never use antivirus on it

RisenDemon

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Windows OS: "Pre-built" so that the average consumer doesn't need to learn a whole lot of coding or "know-how" to get things running. But they will need to spend a considerable amount of time "learning the language" of Windows.
Mac OS: Same as the Windows OS in terms of "pre-built." Like Windows, the average consumer doesn't need to learn a whole lot to make things work. However, they need to "learn a different language" when compared to Windows.
Linux OS: All the big and little parts are on the table. The consumer needs to have basic to moderate knowledge of coding and "know-how" to properly put things together so that it fits to his or her personal tastes. They can essentially make a "new language"

Reactions: Doctor Who

Dono Spacey

Face-Melting F2Per
Windows OS: "Pre-built" so that the average consumer doesn't need to learn a whole lot of coding or "know-how" to get things running. But they will need to spend a considerable amount of time "learning the language" of Windows.
Mac OS: Same as the Windows OS in terms of "pre-built." Like Windows, the average consumer doesn't need to learn a whole lot to make things work. However, they need to "learn a different language" when compared to Windows.
Linux OS: All the big and little parts are on the table. The consumer needs to have basic to moderate knowledge of coding and "know-how" to properly put things together so that it fits to his or her personal tastes. They can essentially make a "new language"

Dunt know code D:

joemaster725

Contributor
Dunt know code D:
dont worry... i dont know much either... i just get the logic and thought process of how to code... all it takes is planning, logic, memorization of the language you are coding in (or the manual pages online), and what advantages that language has over others. i hate coding, mostly because it is extremely frustrating to write programs, and i make tons of minor errors. glad i am not a software engineer!

Dono Spacey

Face-Melting F2Per
dont worry... i dont know much either... i just get the logic and thought process of how to code... all it takes is planning, logic, memorization of the language you are coding in (or the manual pages online), and what advantages that language has over others. i hate coding, mostly because it is extremely frustrating to write programs, and i make tons of minor errors. glad i am not a software engineer!
pffff i've had upwards of 6 concussions, me remember complex shit? lolno not going to ever happen again.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
so that yo can be on an operating system that will not restrict you!
80% of residential users have and want to be restricted since usually they have no idea what they're doing. In addition, Linux will never dominate the residential market due to its complexity. Regular user needs to get home, turn his PC on, check his wall on the Facebook, twit some shit, check his email, watch some videos on Youtube, play Angry Birds and that's it.

Regular user doesn't have time / doesn't want to spend time on tweaking Linux.

Just live with that.
linux and unix are brothers and then mac was a clone of unix and windows is well known for ripping off mac so ya ill leave that there
Unix is a father of everything. OS X is a mother of Mac OS.
Linux is a GUI version of Unix.
How can an open-source program have "poor developer support"? No, seriously.
Simple. Open Source means that there is no centralized support regularly and community codes the patches voluntarily which brings in a delay in patching the vulnerabilities. It also adds additional mess in SDLC.
That's why businesses use Red Hat and other proprietary distributions of Linux. And that's why open-source sucks sometimes.
Not correct. The biggest advantage of *nix OS family is that it's a robust secure OS. Bringing in graphical interface (GUI) always brings an additional set of vulnerabilities and security holes (research why it's considered to be a best practice to have X Window module disabled).

PS: I lol'd reading this article originally posted at Microsoft's News Center: http://www.biznix.org/whylinux/microsoft1.htm

Steak

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
psycho in regards to my statement we're kind of both right but as for the not taking hold in the gaming community is due to the fact that like you said its not user friendly for the normal joe blow

Steak

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
which is why i love the wide consumer base they have. distros can be targeted for the newbiest of newbs to the most intelligent computer geek possible, and still satisfy both those people. I would recommend linux mint or ubuntu for the noobs, and arch linux, backtrack and debian for the people who are more familiar wit linux!
also joe if you want some hard mode linux check out slackware ive attempted several times to get it to install and still havent figured it out even reading faqs online while doing it

joemaster725

Contributor
also joe if you want some hard mode linux check out slackware ive attempted several times to get it to install and still havent figured it out even reading faqs online while doing it

not there yet... but ill look it up and get a vm started!

Status
Not open for further replies.