I guess windows 8 will be good for one thing!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by joemaster725, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joemaster725

joemaster725 Server-Clearing Cynic Contributor

Steam:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Doctor Who

Doctor Who Australian Skial God Contributor

Steam:

Gabe Newell is a butthurt troll. There is no reason to whine about Windows 8 when you STILL HAVE THE FUCKING DESKTOP. FUCKING IDIOT. He's just pissing in his pants because he's scared that the Store in Windows 8 will be competition with Steam.

3. Nothing_Much

Nothing_Much Banned Contributor

Steam:

I thought I'd never see the day again when I see "butthurt" and "troll" in the same sentence.

4. joemaster725

Steam:

i just am glad that more mainstream devs are trying to make native applications for linux! and i say native, cause linux can already run any executable file with the help of add ons, such as wine.

5. Doctor Who

Steam:

But most Linux distros are ugly and difficult to use. Why would you use Linux when many of those free programs are for Windows too? Just to develop?

6. Sir Gooch P Tigglington

Sir Gooch P Tigglington Legendary Skial King Contributor

If it needs the help of an add-on, it's not native.

7. joemaster725

Steam:

what i meant is linux can already run steam, and many windows programs, but only through the help of wine. they are trying to get it so that Linux can run steam and play games, such as left 4 dead 2 without the help of wine.

so that yo can be on an operating system that will not restrict you! Anything you want done can happen, and if you dont like something about the operating system, or are not using a feature, you can take it off. this technique will be helpful to allocate more computer resources to the games, or programs being used. I am a control freak, and love to be in control of my system.

8. Steak

Steak Epic Skial Regular Contributor

Steam:

you must hate both windows and mac user interfaces because they both steal from the work of linux

• Like Like x 2
  9. Perseus Dash Jackson

Perseus Dash Jackson Legendary Skial King

Steam:

I've seen Linux in action. If I knew the first thing about coding and stuff I'd be dual-booting in a heartbeat.

10. Steak

Steam:

linux is so much more stable and much more focused then windows or mac ever thought about

also i threw linux on my moms machine and she love it much more then she ever loved windows the price point was also a big selling point

• Like Like x 1
  11. joemaster725

Steam:

which is why i love the wide consumer base they have. distros can be targeted for the newbiest of newbs to the most intelligent computer geek possible, and still satisfy both those people. I would recommend linux mint or ubuntu for the noobs, and arch linux, backtrack and debian for the people who are more familiar wit linux!

12. joemaster725

Steam:

thats the beauty of linux... you dont need to know anything to start learning! i would recommend playing around in virtual machines and then setting up a dual boot. i currently dual boot windows and Debian on both laptop and desktop!

13. Doctor Who

Steam:

Linux has poor driver support and poor developer support coupled with bad interfaces. Windows 8 has none of those problems. There's no technical reason for Gaben to whine about Windows 8. You're not forced to use Metro for 99% of things. He's just worried about his revenue stream now that the Store is coming.

Sorry but :lol: other way around

14. Steak

Steam:

k ive only been working with linux for the last decade but im sure you know more

• Like Like x 1
  15. Perseus Dash Jackson

Perseus Dash Jackson Legendary Skial King

Steam:

How can an open-source program have "poor developer support"? No, seriously.

16. Doctor Who

Steam:

Very little developer support for making software for Linux, not the operating systems themselves.

17. Raccoon99

Raccoon99 Legendary Skial King

Steam:

Holy Crap, if this works out and Valve brings tf2 and If TWI brings Kf To Linux, Me Getting a Commodore 64X maybe worth it.

18. Doctor Who

Steam:

Every Linux interface either copies Windows, copies the Macintosh (Fedora for example), or is a command line. The only fairly original interface is Unity on Ubuntu, but even that was done on NeXTSTEP.

19. Steak

Steam:

quite a bit of work is done on linux when was the last time you installed it and poked around you appear to be speaking mistruths

20. Steak

Steam:

linux and unix are brothers and then mac was a clone of unix and windows is well known for ripping off mac so ya ill leave that there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice