Have you been scammed over $300 before?

• Total voters

ILOVECOOKIEDOUGH

Scarcely Lethal Noob
So pretty much im trading my bp to a guy for $300, Is there a way to make sure he cant charge back?(I alrdy know about the gift and put in notes "blah blah virtual items no charge back" But does that actually work?) Also how do I check if a payment is gifted to me? The guides on the internet dont work or are old.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
No that won't protect you, I'm not even sure you can send as gift anymore.

The safest bet is to go with someone who has a lot of rep for larger value cash trades.

Second option is to sell here, http://tf2shop.net/, you might not get as much but it's a pretty safe option.

bluehawk

Legendary Skial King
accept buds only and sell off buds individually. if you do get scammed it wont be as bad as loosing the entire $300

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Yeah but couldn't the same guy just chargeback all the transactions?
If you don't sell to multiple people yes. I sold my unusual for items because the guy that wanted it was a noobie. So I sold the buds to people I knew to be a bit more reputable.

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
But he's gonna be selling his bp to the same person. So even if you split the transactions he could just chargeback 30 transactions...

But anyway just check out his rep and gift is really hard to chargeback on Paypal afaik.

bluehawk

Legendary Skial King
But he's gonna be selling his bp to the same person. So even if you split the transactions he could just chargeback 30 transactions...

But anyway just check out his rep and gift is really hard to chargeback on Paypal afaik.
I wasn't talking about splitting the transactions up all to one person. Talking about selling to multiple people.

Op, you can also use money gram you can't charge back through that.

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I wasn't talking about splitting the transactions up all to one person. Talking about selling to multiple people.

Op, you can also use money gram you can't charge back through that.
But he is selling to one person... that doesn't help him.

Unless you are saying just to sell to multiple buyers instead?

Randinie

Uncharitable Spy
If he doesn't have good long Rep, at least 3 to 6 month but 1 year is better, than don't do it. Check the account, when was it made on Sourceop, when was it made for steam, does it look like an active main account or a alt account? Heavy traders with lots of Rep normally can be trusted. Rep on the steam account means nothing, the Rep we are referring to is from sites like sourceop.com. If the account looks like it is new or an alt don't do it.

If you do it and he sends you the money you will get an email from paypal, normally within 3 to 5 minutes of him sending the payment. If he does a charge back your screwed more or less. Its not easy for him to do but it happens. Gift is no longer an option, replaced with sending to a family or friend option.

Xel'Naga

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
But he is selling to one person... that doesn't help him.

Unless you are saying just to sell to multiple buyers instead?
He means OP should sell his backpack for buds, not cash. And then sell the buds individually to separate buyers. This way, if he loses anything, he only loses it in chunks of ~$30.

Wrath

Positively Inhumane Poster
Why can't I use ratings in this section. >.>
Enable ratings! (So I may secretly troll and dumb rate every bad trade....)
~
There is no guarantee that a charge-back won't occur, trading for cash is always a high risk business, especially when you're talking about a few hundred bananas. I would double, triple check the person who is offering to buy your items and make sure that there's no history of disputes (Not just limited to cash) and that this person has been in the market for quite sometime. (Meaning it's not some idiot with 10 hours of TF2 and only joined Steam 3 months ago.)

Trust your feelings and if you believe the offer's too good to be true, or you're not comfortable with it, don't do it.

I link people to these two all the time, especially those that are new or not used to trading for something worth something green.
http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/beginners-guide-to-trading-selling.677/
http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/what-constitutes-reputation.12391/