How come I can't join because of my name?

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2' started by الأمير السعودي ال, Sep 4, 2018.

1. الأمير السعودي ال

الأمير السعودي ال Scarcely Lethal Noob

Steam:

My name is in Arabic. Why is that not allowed? It only mean Prince of saudi

2. Meowcenary

Meowcenary TF2 Admin Contributor

Steam:

I can't recall the exact issues but special characters in names can sometimes cause problems. For example, one admin said some special characters will get turned into gibberish such as % signs and random numbers (could be because TF2 may not support the characters being used)

I thought I also heard awhile back that it can cause some issues with Sourcebans as well.

So its nothing to do with your name being Arabic. It's just a issue of special characters. Not all special characters seem to prevent players from joining but some can

3. Zappheus

Zappheus Sufficiently Lethal Scout

Hello.

As an Arabic native speaker, I can ensure & certify to you that it's futile/worthless to have an Arabic alias, whilst playing Team Fortress 2, because the letters/characters in-game are disarranged and will seem peculiar to an Arabic native speaker.

i.e., your name: «الأمير السعودي», will be disarranged in-game, to being: «ا ل أ م ي ر ا ل س ع و د ي».

And perhaps this is the issue. The letters are being recognized as spam. And thus, preventing you from joining.

4. numero

numero Scarcely Lethal Noob

It's not because of your name, I think. It's because of a different writing system. I mean, this forum uses Roman alphabet so better spell out your name in Roman alphabet too so you won't get banned or denied.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice