Roman

Banned
Contributor
I remember once that a guy came in to the computer repair shop and said that he had broken his computer while trying to clean it out. Apparently he didn't know what to do so he decided to use a vacuum cleaner and see if it worked. Haha, that would've been funny if that guy wasn't me 4 years ago.
I had a customer who used his water hose to wash his computer out. Needless to say, it didn't work anymore. We introduced him to compressed air. He was not pleased.

Roman

Banned
Contributor
I had a customer who asked if we recycled computers.

He brought in a bunch of crushed cases.

Every time his computer did something he didn't like, or if it wouldn't work, he smashed it with some kind of tool and bought a new one instead.

DaivdBaekr

Contributor
I had a customer who asked if we recycled computers.

He brought in a bunch of crushed cases.

Every time his computer did something he didn't like, or if it wouldn't work, he smashed it with some kind of tool and bought a new one instead.
He must have singlehandedly kept Hewlett-Packard afloat for years.

M

madmonkeyjoe

i once offered computer help at summer to earn some money.
this women called me and said her computer dosn't work.
i come to her house and see the words "out of sync" all over the screen.
apparently she just powered up the screen, not the pc itself.
i pressed the button and got 20$ XD

GhostDragon505

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
i once offered computer help at summer to earn some money.
this women called me and said her computer dosn't work.
i come to her house and see the words "out of sync" all over the screen.
apparently she just powered up the screen, not the pc itself.
i pressed the button and got 20$ XD
Title says "Horror stories" not how i made a quick 20 dollars
It's still hilarious though

Roman

Banned
Contributor
Sometimes I have customers who bring me things and ask "Was this a good deal?"

One particular time, an older lady brought some generic Dell Studio laptop (a 1535 or something) that had a Pentium processor with Windows 7 Ultimate, 2GB of RAM, and a lot of software installed, like Adobe Creative Suite and Office Professional Plus.

The first thing I noticed was the sticker on the laptop advertising that it had 4GB of RAM and Windows Vista Home Premium.

"Where did you get this exactly?"
"On Craigslist."
"How much was it?"
"Around $400."

Checked the hard drive. No, that's not a 320GB like the sticker says. That's an 80GB.

"What do you use the computer for?"
"I'm working on putting a family tree together."

Well, fuck. I explained about the hard drive and what was really in the computer, and how all of the software was pirated. Well, she wasn't having any of that. She bought a new hard drive, more RAM, 7 Ultimate, Office Professional, and the damn Adobe suite for her $400 laptop.

The best part? That Pentium processor didn't support virtualization technology, so she couldn't use XP mode for her family tree software.

Reactions: Tomatketchup

Luckyboxes

Wicked Nasty Engineer
It's times like this I wish there was a facepalm rating icon.

This thread really makes me feel smart.

Roman

Banned
Contributor
I had a guy yesterday threaten to call the BBB because I wouldn't refund the cost of his diagnostic...

...because his sound wasn't working...

...on his "new" computer...

...that was a refurbished HP Compaq dc7700...

...and the sound was disabled in the BIOS...

...but he blamed the Radeon 5450 he installed.

It didn't help that I had it fixed within minutes of getting to work.

Reactions: Sgt Giraffe

JohnnyGaloshes

Banned
Contributor
As I've mentioned in other threads, you see some pretty horrific shit when you're a PC tech. This thread is dedicated to sharing some of the best/worst tales I've encountered.

Note: Names, if used, have been changed to protect the innocent

I had a customer call me with an email problem. He couldn't send emails from Outlook. This is normally caused by someone attempting to use Outlook who didn't set it up properly. That's OK, not the end of the world. Normally you can just Google server and port settings and call it a day.

When he came in, he brought his wife and his laptop. Standard work laptop, bare-bones OS, XP. This means he's using Outlook Express. I ask him who he uses for email, and he says "AOL." Well, normally I don't fuss with AOL shit, but this is a quick fix, so whatever.

I go online, find the directions, and open Outlook. And that's when you piece everything together in a second.

Let's take a step back and go on a tangent. You know of Craigslist.org, right? Classifieds site. You can buy a car, arrange a riot, or find random people who want to fuck. When you click on their email address, it opens your default mail client--in this guy's case, Outlook Express

In his outbox (that opened by default, with his wife standing there) are a good handful of m4m emails. This guy was going online, finding gay guys that wanted to blow an older dude, and was trying to hook up. In the fastest Ctrl-A/Del movement, I got them off of the screen before they knew what was going on.

And that's the first time I saved a marriage.

LMFAO dude..that is hilarious!