JarlyX

Epic Skial Regular
My motherboard is an Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev 1.3 with BIOS version F10.
I think this noise has always been there, but I don't know.
It's coming from the motherboard. It also alternates pitch if I for example open a lot of pages at once, or load a YouTube video. I tried Googling, and 2 relevant pages came up, where the person got the advice to disable Intel's powersaving technology; C-states (C3/C6, EIST and C1E, all of which regulates CPU volt and frequency according to the load to save power)
I tried disabling those things in BIOS, no change.

Is there something I'm missing, or should I return the motherboard?

ProbeX

Australian Skial God
Contributor
My motherboard is an Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev 1.3 with BIOS version F10.
I think this noise has always been there, but I don't know.
It's coming from the motherboard. It also alternates pitch if I for example open a lot of pages at once, or load a YouTube video. I tried Googling, and 2 relevant pages came up, where the person got the advice to disable Intel's powersaving technology; C-states (C3/C6, EIST and C1E, all of which regulates CPU volt and frequency according to the load to save power)
I tried disabling those things in BIOS, no change.

Is there something I'm missing, or should I return the motherboard?
It's may be your motherboard vibrating, try tightening the screws, also are you positive it's your motherboard and not something else?

JarlyX

Epic Skial Regular
It's may be your motherboard vibrating, try tightening the screws, also are you positive it's your motherboard and not something else?
I'm 100% certain. I tried taking a pen and pushing the fan so it stopped, noise was still there. The noise is coming from the CPU area-ish. I can hear that clearly when I lower my ear to the GPU/PSU.

JarlyX

Epic Skial Regular
No CMOS errors, and forgot to say in OP but when the CPU gets something moderately heavy to do, the noise vanishes.

Mewkin

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
The only two Gigabyte G1Sniper motherboards I've ever used have had a small high pitched noise. It seems to be related to the internet, but I've never gone into it. Not really contributing anything, just saying that it seems to be something it does that I do not know how to handle either.

My Asus motherboards never did this. Wish I was not in such a hurry to get a new motherboard or I could have waited/bought an Asus one online.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
The only two Gigabyte G1Sniper motherboards I've ever used have had a small high pitched noise. It seems to be related to the internet, but I've never gone into it. Not really contributing anything, just saying that it seems to be something it does that I do not know how to handle either.

My Asus motherboards never did this. Wish I was not in such a hurry to get a new motherboard or I could have waited/bought an Asus one online.
Gigabyte boards a typically pretty good as well, I tend to choose between asus and gigabyte. You just have to do your research ;)

krze

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
Mmm have you tried to update the BIOS? Are you on latest?

If you are - I would call up Gigabyte, ask for RMA. Wouldn't chance keeping the board. Disabling the C1/ C3/ C6 states should fix this problem most of the time but it didn't work for you. :/

You could try to mess with volts, OC, vdroop and etc but that's just putting bandages on a borked board IMO. Could end up frying more stuff.

krze

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
Capacitor whine is an annoyance, not a serious issue.
Why would you want a component that annoys you? I wouldn't - I would send it back until I got one that works right. I don't like a loud / annoying PC. The OP obviously has a problem with the noise.

Though I do agree with it not being a serious issue IF it is a capacitor whine. It happens but it's really up the individual if they want to put up with the noise.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Why would you want a component that annoys you? I wouldn't - I would send it back until I got one that works right. I don't like a loud / annoying PC. The OP obviously has a problem with the noise.

Though I do agree with it not being a serious issue IF it is a capacitor whine. It happens but it's really up the individual if they want to put up with the noise.
Depends on where he got it I suppose. If they'll take it back for capacitor whine (which isn't really a "problem") and he can do it without having his computer down for several days sure. If he has to pull warranty and send it to the factory he risks getting something worse than what he had originally, not worth it.

Luckyboxes

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Sounds like capacitor whine to me. Not anything to seriously worry about but if you are into silent computing then I could see it being an issue.

I have a Gigabyte Z68 board too... it annoys the heck out of me sometimes with all the cold boot problems. But I'm too lazy to RMA it heh.