bunnyf00d

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I don't know if it's my side or server side but I have a pretty steady ping of about 120 even on Texas servers where I usually have a ping of 20 or lower. I've tried restarting my router and it hasn't helped. Any ideas what could be causing it?

ViperStriker

Banned
Contributor
A few questions.

- When did the higher pings start to occur?
- Are they constant or occasional?
- Any changes in ISP or hardware lately?
- How fast is your current internet connection?

Phaiz

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I don't know if it's my side or server side but I have a pretty steady ping of about 120 even on Texas servers where I usually have a ping of 20 or lower. I've tried restarting my router and it hasn't helped. Any ideas what could be causing it?
I'm just going to say this is happening to me also as of the past day or so.
Average texas ping - 40-60
New texas ping - 100-120

bunnyf00d

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
A few questions.

- When did the higher pings start to occur?
- Are they constant or occasional?
- Any changes in ISP or hardware lately?
- How fast is your current internet connection?

A few days ago
It goes from 90-150 over time
nope
2899236112.png

it's usually around 50 :(

ViperStriker

Banned
Contributor
A few days ago
It goes from 90-150 over time
nope
2899236112.png

it's usually around 50 :(

I thought your net was very good. Maybe try contacting your ISP? Something might be screwy on their end, or it could be on your end. Are there muliple devices using your connection at once? Also, are you wired into your Router or using a wireless connection?

bunnyf00d

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I thought your net was very good. Maybe try contacting your ISP? Something might be screwy on their end, or it could be on your end. Are there muliple devices using your connection at once? Also, are you wired into your Router or using a wireless connection?
i'll call them when i'm back from vacation if it continues. i've checked everything else that uses the connection and tried turning them all off and still high ping :/

ViperStriker

Banned
Contributor
i'll call them when i'm back from vacation if it continues. i've checked everything else that uses the connection and tried turning them all off and still high ping :/

That really sucks. Hopefully it's just a small and quick fix, and not persistent. Sounds rather annoying.

Ruelel

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
have you tried pinging a server and seeing whats the issue there? when i got high ping to texas i saw that my isp was shitting on me with routing

bunnyf00d

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
have you tried pinging a server and seeing whats the issue there? when i got high ping to texas i saw that my isp was shitting on me with routing
I pinged google and got 143ms. I called my ISP and they're going to send someone out to look at my coaxial or something so I'll deal with it all when I'm back I guess.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Actually it happens to me once in a while. My ping response time would jump to 120 ms on 2fort+ NY only for like 20-30 mins and then go back to normal 20 ms. I brought it to Oaky's attention and he was observing the same issue has well.

Also, last week I had been experiencing periodic outages while playing on 2fort+ NY - every like 30 mins my connection would hang with this alert in the right upper corner in red color and would stay stale for like 20 seconds; then it would resume back to normal.

Again, it happens only on 2fort+ NY. When I log in to other 2fort servers the same time and day everything works just fine.

Phaiz

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Actually it happens to me once in a while. My ping response time would jump to 120 ms on 2fort+ NY only for like 20-30 mins and then go back to normal 20 ms. I brought it to Oaky's attention and he was observing the same issue has well.

Also, last week I had been experiencing periodic outages while playing on 2fort+ NY - every like 30 mins my connection would hang with this alert in the right upper corner in red color and would stay stale for like 20 seconds; then it would resume back to normal.

Again, it happens only on 2fort+ NY. When I log in to other 2fort servers the same time and day everything works just fine.
I'm curious, when this happens does your entire internet crash? There are times where this exact thing happens to me but it drops my internet completely and usually only when on a skial server.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'm curious, when this happens does your entire internet crash? There are times where this exact thing happens to me but it drops my internet completely and usually only when on a skial server.

No, my other connections usually stay up during this spike. Moreover, what I tried to to is to set up indefinite pinging of 2fort's IP (ping -at 108.61.46.51) and then launch TF2; when the outage in question occurred, I've alt-tabbed from TF2 and saw that IP was still responding with proper times.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
This happens to me too but i never bothered to look into it. I would play TF2 and lose connection but i can still connect to the internet.

If i happen to discover anything i will let you guys know.

Bottiger

Administrator
We are aware of the occasional network instability at NY.

We are planning to move the NY server to a new host, but the host we are planning to move it to has sold for the time being with no ETA on further availability.

These problems are caused by the merger between Tinet and nLayer so hopefully it will go away on its own. As far as I know this occurrences only happen for a few seconds a day.

Reactions: Truth Seeker

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
^^^ I'm pretty surprised to hear something different from "it's the issue on your end" from Bott :D

Bottiger

Administrator
If our host has a problem we don't have any reason to hide it. They will fix the problem if you come to them with traceroutes.

However, if there is no evidence of a problem then the host will not fix it. As a general rule, residential lines are more susceptible to congestion than datacenters.