StalinJr

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Contributor
I know it might just be all of the updates, but this occurred(while to a smaller extent), prior before the updates too. Pretty much any skial server I go to, will have extreme lag spikes regularly. While I know part of it is my machine, I know its not just me, when the server spikes, you can hear the entire server moan over voice chat "WOOOW THIS FUCKING LAAAG".
And its not that its set to 32 players, we were continually getting them on badlands just right now with less then 24 people in the server.
Now, I have no idea how tf2 servers work, but for gods sake, fix it! The game is nearly unplayable as is with hl2.exe bitching around lately, but its even worse when it continually spikes like that.

Toxik

Contributor
When that happens, I usually tell people "quit whining, if you're not happy you're welcome to leave".

StalinJr

Contributor
When that happens, I usually tell people "quit whining, if you're not happy you're welcome to leave".
I'm not whining, I think the skial servers and people who play on them are some of the best around. It's just quite damn annoying when you can't play on the server you'd prefer.

Bottiger

Administrator
The servers were lagging before because TF2 was unoptimized and with SMAC, we were using nearly all of the CPU available.

If you are getting any lag now, it is either because of DoS or it is your computer.

I've also purchased 1000 mbit bandwidth for both Chicago servers. Protecting against DoS attacks is expensive, especially for a gaming community. If you want to send $300/month per server for "real" DoS protection, I will order it.

StalinJr

Contributor
The servers were lagging before because TF2 was unoptimized and with SMAC, we were using nearly all of the CPU available.

If you are getting any lag now, it is either because of DoS or it is your computer.

I've also purchased 1000 mbit bandwidth for both Chicago servers. Protecting against DoS attacks is expensive, especially for a gaming community. If you want to send $300/month per server for "real" DoS protection, I will order it.
I see, so I guess we've been getting some major DoS-filled hate for the past month or two.
And no, I dont think we can do anything about it, hell, even MasterCard and PSN couldn't defend against the good ol' DoS.