Hammer VMF compile error

Discussion in 'Mapping and Modeling' started by Sam the unoofer, Jul 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Sam the unoofer

Sam the unoofer Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight Contributor

Steam:
    I want to make it clear that
    • There are no leaks in the compile logs
    • All critical 'game breaking' errors have been fixed as by the compile log
    • I have used interlopers.net to double check the logs
    This has happened a few times now and my map dr_scprun is at the minigames stage of development, so a fair bit has been done.

The problem

For the last 3 VMF clones i have made I have recieved this error after doing 3/4 compiles on it. The first 2 the map most likely corrupted once due to me using 2 different lighting sources in one place (for a lamp), and the second one being because I used too many brushes over the size of 4000 units which was fixed.

[​IMG]
    This is the error message I get after 3/4 compiles which indicates that the VMF has been corrupted.

The only things extra I am adding to my level on top of the last save is an easter egg with a few brushes and triggers as well as a small texture for the muzzle flash on the surface NTF trap.

I have already asked about to a few of my personal contacts but none can find a solution.

Here is the line of the error completely untouched in notepad++
    [​IMG]

I appreciate all the support

2. StereoBucket

StereoBucket Truly Feared Pyro

Steam:
    Might be possible that there's a misplaced quote in some entity. Maybe an entity displaying text has a " inside the message?

3. Sam the unoofer

Steam:
    Could you give me an example so I can find where abouts it is? Thanks

4. StereoBucket

StereoBucket Truly Feared Pyro

Steam:
    You use notepad++ right? It has regex search. When you open the search dialog, at the bottom, toggle the Regular expression radio button and for the search string use this
    ^[^"\r\n]*(?:"[^"\r\n]*){5,}$
    It will return the lines containing 5 or more quote marks. If that doesn't give anything try
    ^[^"\r\n]*(?:"[^"\r\n]*){1,3}$
    Which will return any line that has less than 4 quotes in it.
    If it's neither of these, type { and click count, note it down, then count } and check if they are the same. If not, then there's a missing { or } somewhere which could cause an issue. I am not entirely sure how to write a regex to find these, but if you get a different count I'll see if I can get one working.

If you want I can help you troubleshoot via discord, would be faster.

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. Sam the unoofer

Steam:
    @StereoBucket sure thing, my discord is Sam The Unoofer#2958

6. Sam the unoofer

Steam:
    Issue resolved, Stereo's solution worked

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice