• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

S_O_C_K_S

Truly Feared Pyro
Contributor
Sometimes on random days I have a trivia contest and give out a week of Skial to try and promote the server. I prefer to play with regulars. Having a server with regulars is so much better then getting random people who come in and ruin the game. I play medic most of the time so I learn the play style of people and nothing worse then having an awesome heavy and they get swapped to the other team. So the goal is to give a free week of Skial hoping they decide to pay for a couple months on their own. Everyone benefits from this.

My question is: Does anyone have any ideas besides doing a trivia contest? Most people seem to like it but at times I'm taking over the voice chat and don't want to be intrusive and ruin other people's experience. So any other simple contest ideas would be great. It would also be nice to get people into the forums and get it rocking in here.

I have given away 5-6 free weeks now in the past 2 weeks. So far 2 people have made donations after.

Any ideas?

ArayhMD

TF2 Admin
Contributor
I've brought people to Skial Trade Servers by doing give away contests for things like Keys/Buds/Bill's/Aussies/Cheaper Unusuals...etc, I'm not sure if people have donated to the server afterwards, but I've filled out servers before with people who have participated in my contests. Giving away weeks of donator might be more viable and sustainable in the long term!

I usually use things like Rock Paper Scissors and Spycrab Contests, which are faster.
I do things like Sudden Death Spycrab, where everyone lines against the wall, and last man standing wins the contest, 1 spycrab out.
Then there's always the arbitrary fashion contests for most ugly, or more themed set...etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: S_O_C_K_S

serbey

Uncharitable Spy
Tell me if you're going to do that type of thing again. I have a new friend that's new to TF2 that might want to win those items ;)

S_O_C_K_S

Truly Feared Pyro
Contributor
Tell me if you're going to do that type of thing again. I have a new friend that's new to TF2 that might want to win those items ;)
I play mostly on Payload US. Have them join....it's random so the purpose is to keep the server full as well. I normally play from 5pm-midnight est area.

S_O_C_K_S

Truly Feared Pyro
Contributor
I've brought people to Skial Trade Servers by doing give away contests for things like Keys/Buds/Bill's/Aussies/Cheaper Unusuals...etc, I'm not sure if people have donated to the server afterwards, but I've filled out servers before with people who have participated in my contests. Giving away weeks of donator might be more viable and sustainable in the long term!

I usually use things like Rock Paper Scissors and Spycrab Contests, which are faster.
I do things like Sudden Death Spycrab, where everyone lines against the wall, and last man standing wins the contest, 1 spycrab out.
Then there's always the arbitrary fashion contests for most ugly, or more themed set...etc.
Those are good ideas but I need something that will include more people on the server and also try to get them to the forums.

Oprah Of Flamey Goodness

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Contributor
Sometimes on random days I have a trivia contest and give out a week of Skial to try and promote the server. I prefer to play with regulars. Having a server with regulars is so much better then getting random people who come in and ruin the game. I play medic most of the time so I learn the play style of people and nothing worse then having an awesome heavy and they get swapped to the other team. So the goal is to give a free week of Skial hoping they decide to pay for a couple months on their own. Everyone benefits from this.

My question is: Does anyone have any ideas besides doing a trivia contest? Most people seem to like it but at times I'm taking over the voice chat and don't want to be intrusive and ruin other people's experience. So any other simple contest ideas would be great. It would also be nice to get people into the forums and get it rocking in here.

I have given away 5-6 free weeks now in the past 2 weeks. So far 2 people have made donations after.

Any ideas?
Good on you, SOCKS! That's very generous and good of you to support the community!

ArayhMD

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Yeah Spycrab contests are what I use primarily, cause its just faster, and its random chance, so no judgment/unfairness that comes with fashion contests and what not, and no faster googler vs slower googlers for trivia contests.