• Desktop

Votes: 23 85.2%
  • Laptop

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

ProbeX

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Most laptops suck for gaming and most store bought Desktops suck ass at gaming too, if you want to play games buy a 500 dollar Desktop from a store and put a graphics card in it.

CarebtheNarb

Wicked Nasty Engineer
I simply looked at the reviews on the card on the computer listed and the reviews say that the card sucks. The memory isn't the only thing to look at. ;3

Alright, I'll give you a few words on graphics cards.
  • It's good if it has at least one fan mounted on it. The case's fans will not keep the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit / Graphics Card) cool enough. If a card runs hot, there's a good chance it will break or performance will suffer.
  • A good card has 1 GB+ of dedicated memory. This is, however, not the only thing to look at. The amount of cores and whatnot are also important. Instead of reading the amount of cores and trying to find how good it is, I advise looking at the reviews. If they say that it runs cool and runs games fairly fast, it's a good card. You can find reviews on lots of cards on Newegg.com
  • There is a difference between on-board GPUs and external GPUs. Some computers will advertise that their cards are great, but if it's an onboard card, it will be lackluster in quality.
Sorry, I don't know a whole lot about computers, but that's what I have to say on graphics cards. Again, the one I use is the MSI R6670 which is very cost effective if you're willing to invest a little bit of effort to add it to your computer. Otherwise, do as I said and research the card on whatever computer you will be getting. Your budget would get you far if you custom-build your computer, but with brand names, even a thousand bucks wont get you a great computer.

Thanks for the info. But sorry for my ignorance, how long do I have to be playing a game and stuff in order for the card to start to melt?

Plus, like I previously said, I currently have a Radeon HD 5570. Isn't a Radeon HD7450 better?

butterfingersman

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
Performance would likely be the same. The way AMD does their cards is:
4xxx
5xxx
6xxx
7xxx
The cards with lower numbers after the "4" or such, are bad regardless.
Also, I'm basically going off of reviews and a chart on Wikipedia to tell you this information.
Some guy on the Diablo forums said:
Its got a very slow core, only 160 stream processors, and can only muster around 10gb/s fillrate. As a new card, its not faster than most mainstream cards were 7 years ago. The 7450 is meant as a low power consumption card, using only 9-18 watts of power, compared to 100w to +250w that some desktop cards can use.
There are some very technical things wrong with the card.​
To the other question, about cards burning up.. Cards really burn up whenever they are pushed to their limits. A card would heat up much faster if you usually played TF2 at medium settings with 30 FPS and then you started playing TF2 at the highest settings and getting 8 FPS. Heat output is just how much stress you put on a badly cooled card, which is just something to avoid. There's no telling when it will break, but you will slowly slip into madness as it does break. You will start to get visual artifacts, which would just lead to you having to get another card anyways.​
The smartest thing to do would be to buy said computer and then rip out the card and try to put a better one in. I'm not gonna give you a guide on that, though.​

Ninja_DC

Face-Melting F2Per
I also agree with going for a: Core i5; 4-8GB's RAM; AMD 6770, 7770, 6850, 6870; SSD Boot Drive

Too lazy to draw up a list though