• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

fmac

Mildly Menacing Medic
Contributor
Hi Skial team,

First of all, thank you all (@Bottiger !) for maintaining the server: during some difficult moments in my life I end up by getting back to games (including TF2). And it helped me. :)

I'm a casual TF2 player and on Skial I'm only playing Turbine (both US and EU). I understand the new rules and I know how hard is the job of those who are keeping the service running so I'm fine with them.

My question is: as you can identify a player who has VIP pass, would be possible to open an exception for this case and allow GForceNow? (reasoning: my Steam account is more than 12y old, I often pay for VIP and I never had a ban).

"Buy a new PC, use custom TF2 configs, ..." I'm playing on macOS without support to 32bit apps and I don't have resources now to buy a new PC.

Cheers,

-- fmac

fmac

Mildly Menacing Medic
Contributor
Hey @Jermaphobe!

Thanks for your reply. I understand and respect the new server rules and *I agree with you*, that's why I posted my question. :)

Bigg Bugg

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I do like the idea of getting a VIP pass but there are plenty of servers out there. On the other hand though is that skial is one of, if not one of the biggest community servers out there so it'll be hard finding a good server that's populated and has active members playing in the servers. I do respect the choice of banning players that use VPNs and such to cheat and not get banned, but there are few people that know of GeForce Now.

I only use GeForce because my toaster of a computer can run TF2 at a weak 20-30 fps and it has frequent frame drops, I've used the lowest setting of masterconfig and it somehow makes it run worse. So I use GeForce it never has frame drops and it runs mod free, I'm pretty sure there is a way to mod games from GeForce but the times I've tried to get a new HUD the application will say "Sorry but you can't download any outside sources" or something like that.

Even if the option to get VIP status to play in the servers were a thing I honestly wouldn't take up on that offer because why would I pay to play in a server that I'll see every now and then and if I did pay that would be money not well spent and I would probably regret buying some sort of subscription. TF2 is a free to play game so why make players like me pay for a VIP membership just to play on the servers I personally like?

fmac

Mildly Menacing Medic
Contributor
Hey BB!

> TF2 is a free to play game so why make players like me pay for a VIP membership just to play on the servers I personally like?

Good question! A VIP membership/pass (or "Donator pass?) gives you a lot of benefits and you end up by contributing to all the job done to keep Skial up and running.

Check this link for more info: skial.com/pages/donate/ (or the option "Donate" from the menu at the top of this page).

Cheers!

GetYaArmour

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I Like This Idea.

But instead of having to pay to be able to play on Skial using GeForce Now, I feel there should be a separate "role" that can be applied for that protects against IP bans.

I know this is very abuse-able but the main reason i started using GeForce Now is so i can play TF2 at a stable frame-rate with standard settings without having to be buy a new PC (which i don'y have the money for), if i then have to start paying just not to get banned (which again, I cannot afford) this defeats the point.

As I said: This is very abuse-able so the application process may be long and hard but it will definitely help the "cheaper" end of the casual community especially as Skial servers are considered the among the best in TF2's History: Which new player wouldn't want the oppurtunity to play using any weapon in the game in a casual environment?

Thanks,
GetYaArmour

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I can tell you where this is going.

No.

Would it be difficult to set up a white list for steam ids when using Geforce IP addresses? Then having the steam id's removed if they violate smac/vac/rules? Seems there is a growing number of people affected by this.